back to article Pinning a value on big tech's top names. Not as easy as it looks

Does the efficient markets hypothesis (EMH among friends) have any value when looking at tech companies in the enterprise and data centre world? EMH does not mean markets are the efficient way of doing things. There is no implication at all that healthcare, scientific research or the military should be delivered by market …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Amazon: not making any money at all

But is it true?

Or very clever accounting. There is Apple's method of not paying tax, and then Amazon's method?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Amazon: not making any money at all

Amazon's model is to not make a profit until there is only Amazon. Any money it does happen to make from selling the latest Harry Potter is spent on building new business areas. In this way it should be worth more than Apple.

Think Honda when they first started out making mopeds vs Rolls Royce - who would you rather have invested in in the 1950s?

3. Mage Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Do the markets have it about right?

Markets are what are? Surely they can't be "right" or "wrong".

Then there is pricing by vendors. Too high and they lose sales. But sometimes too low and they lose sales. Sometimes they need to price higher than Competition (Apple).

So how do you even compare prices of similar products.

Right for who? Investors, Speculators, Consumers, Tax gatherers, resource producers, factory owners (who don't sell to public).

I think if I could figure it I should make money, maybe get a Nobel when I expose all in biography and not waste time writing here.

4. Tromos

Be a random monkey

Not only do you have a statistical chance of doing better, you'd have to underperform by the amount of the management fee to come out worse off. Find me a fund manager that charges fees only if they do better than the index and only then will I consider letting them gamble with a bit of my hard-earned.

Re: Be a random monkey

That's why we charge more - we only employ the best monkeys to pick stocks.

The costs in pianos and cups of PG tips alone are staggering.

5. thames

Random Monkeys

"Repeated experiments have shown those random monkeys outperform most fund mangers."

Repeated experience have also shown that random monkeys can outperform most "tech" pundits when it comes the future of the industry.

You'll notice that some of the companies in your list are highly diversified and operate in mature markets, while others are narrowly focused and operate in rapidly growing markets.

If you primarily sell PC operation systems and office packages, then your room for growing sales of those products is limited. If you are primarily in e-commerce and "cloud", then rapid growth comes naturally. There needn't be anything extraordinary about the companies in either case, they are just following the general trend for the market they are in.

As for how does a company get in on the ground floor of a growth market? Very often, it's by chance. All they need to do then is to not screw it up.

• IBM, Microsoft, Oracle - Diversified companies with slow growing products. It will be hard for any of them to come up with a major new product line to replace their existing ones and give them rapid growth. Microsoft's failures in the mobile market are particularly notable. All are trying to get on the "cloud" bandwagon, but that wagon is a looking to be a prettry crowded one.
    • SAP - I can't explain that one.
    • VMWare - They've been focused on one of the hottest markets in IT - virtualization. There is also some financial engineering going on with respect to their share ownership.
    • Google - They're big in the rapidly growing web services and mobile markets. They have a history of producing a lot of failures, but they also have a history of ruthlessly cutting failed projects and piling effort into successful ones. In other words, they throw darts at a dart board, but the markets they focus on are ones which let those darts pay off very well and very quickly when they hit something.
    • Amazon - E-commerce is a hot market. They're dominant in cloud infrastructure, but I'm not convinced that's a big factor.
    • Salesforce - Somebody, one of the big but stodgy vendors, will buy them out at a good premium.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Random Monkeys

Salesforce - Somebody, one of the big but stodgy vendors, will buy them out at a good premium.

This is important, because if the EMH is true in some form (even weak), then this information is also figured into the price. It's "information" even though it's only an estimate of probability (i.e., a guess). Some market actors will estimate that probability based on a model (actually reified in some form, or just implicit as a "hunch" or "intuition") derived from the history of M&A activity in the sector and similar data; others are simply following the crowd.

But in either case acquisition is a way for investors to realize some - often significant - return. So it drives the "rational" P/E higher, because it increases the probable rate of return.

On the other hand, you can explain a higher valuation without resorting to EMH in various ways, for example by claiming that stock prices are essentially stochastic because market actors are essentially irrational.1 So in that sense looking at P/E ratios doesn't really tell us anything to support or contradict the EMH. But then again, examining these things and thinking about them can be a useful paideic exercise, so what the hell.

1Not everything that's true is true for a reason. Gregory Chaitin proved that formally with AIT.

6. Schultz
    Stop

You forgot an important market-distorting factor...

cheating.

And in the current system the questions no longer seems to be whether it's legal (who can tell with all those rules nowadays), but rather whether it's possible to get away with it. Bubbles, derivatives, hedging, speed trading, it's all about insider knowledge or moving the market with disinformation campaigns and money.

Maybe cheating averages out in the economic models (one person's loss is another's gain), but I'd guess it's greatly involved in the economic bottom --> top redistribution we see internationally.

Re: You forgot an important market-distorting factor...

A measure of closely the market matches the efficient market model tells you how honest it is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like