back to article Gartner: Dell nowhere to be seen as storage SSD sales go flat

Well, here's another nail in the coffin for traditional storage arrays; Gartner claims array SSD sales were up just one per cent year-on-year, while server flash sales grew 51 per cent. EMC leads the AFA players, while Cisco and Dell are nowhere. Total enterprise SSD revenue is 2014 was $5.77bn, up 30 per cent year-on-year. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has Gartner revised the AFA category?

Has Gartner revised the AFA category? If I remember correctly, Gartner excludes all arrays that even have the possibility of having anything else than flash in them. I know that HDS and Dell do have AFA arrays, but they are penalized because they also allow customer to add spinning disks if they want to.

So as long as Gartner does not revise their definition, I think articles like this one can safely be ignored.

1. Alex McDonald 1
      Stop

Re: Has Gartner revised the AFA category?

Since when does Gartner get the last word?

2. Comedy of Errors

Chart error

Isn't the X scale on the chart back to front? It has 2014 on the left and 2012 on the right, but the market share % figures quoted seem to be for the figures on the right.

1. Slacker@work

Re: Chart error

I was wondering the very same thing.

3. Alex McDonald 1
    WTF?

Chris, are yu doing these charts back to front?

That top chart runs from 2012 to 2014 but right to left. My brain melted.

4. chrismevans

Figures Don't Add up

The numbers don't appear to make sense; the SSD Array market (presumably this means all-flash market) rose only 1%, yet EMC went from $74m to $444m, with plenty of other vendors increasing share? Am I misreading something?

Again, excluding vendors that can ship traditional disk in an AFA makes no sense as the likely wider market is hybrid. It would be better to track flash as a percentage of the array capacity as an indicator of the success of the flash market.

1. dikrek
      Stop

Re: Figures Don't Add up

Hi all, Dimitris from NetApp (http://recoverymonkey.org).

This is an accounting issue. How does one track AFA sales? For Pure it's easy, everything is AFA.

From EMC, XtremIO is always an AFA. Easy to count.

For NetApp, when this report was run only EF was an AFA, and AFF (All-Flash FAS) wasn't counted since up till now there wasn't a strict all-flash FAS model that actually doesn't work with HDD. The reality is NetApp sells huge amounts of SSD... as do many other vendors.

For example, for HDS the story is similar, I bet they sell a shedload of flash yet aren't high on the chart.

Gotta love it.

Thx

D

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Figures Don't Add up

EMC also have the VNX-F in there, so the numbers are not limited to just XtremeIO

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Say what?

Dell resells and/or leverages all the listed manufactures drive tech across many product lines including SAN/NAS storage and servers.

Dell does over $60 Billion dollars of business a year (as of last public results from FY2014).

It's not only safe to assume that Dell sells more than $50M in flash, it probably spends more than $50M a year just on styrofoam to pack the flash arrays it does sell for shipping.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Say what?

Yes they do for laptops...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dell ships AFA all right...

(Disclaimer: Full Time Dell Employee)

Dell ships AFA's, but Gartner will not include those numbers as long as it's possible to add spinning drives to the solution. Even All Flash (EqualLogic) PS-Series arrays, like the PS6210S with 24SSD and no room to expand within the chassis is not counted as AFA, since customers might add other arrays with spinning drives into the same management ecosystem. Equally, if you just bought a (sub $15k) SCv2020 AFA, it will not count, as you are able to add spinning drives in the future...

In my (not Dells) view, this makes this Gartner report misleading, confusing and customer unfriendly.

7. DGEngineer

Dell not on the list?

I have to agree with the interpretation of the data. All of Dell's storage options allow for Spinning disks and SSDs in the same box. I know we sold several million in SSDs on the Dell Storage Center Array's last year so I know Dell had a lot more than 50m is sales of SSDs. They always had some type of spinning disk for Tier3 or they were upgrades from current spinning disk solutions to SSDs without a second of customer downtime. I would read this more as a statement, that most customers expect to have a combination of the two and not just SSDs by themselves.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's Gartner's nonsense classifications, as a few others have mentioned. It's forced HP to have a couple of models that are AFAs in name only, purely so Gartner will count them. There is no difference between the 7440 and 7450 from a controller perspective but the 7450 is the only one Gartner will count,

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gartner's loss of credibility

That Gartner Group chose to have an all flash category and refused to measure AFA sales correctly was to their detriment.

Dell doesn't register in this because Dell's AFA's can also - should the customer choose - have spinning disk, for lower tier data.

Personally, I see this as an advantage in design, but that's beside the point.

HP threw in the towel and launched a completely different model number, which ironically has the same controllers.

The criteria should be

(1) is the array sold as an all-flash array, without spinning disk? Then count it.

(2) don't count the sale in any other category

10. pure-wvdb

my read of the numbers Chris presented

Total enterprise SSD revenue (2014) = $5.77bn:

- storage SSD revenue = $1.8bn

- server SSD revenue = $3.9bn

- total AFA 2014 revenue = $1.4bn

From the numbers presented in the article one should conclude SSD revenue in hybrid arrays was $0.4bn. With the biggest AFA players all showing significant growth one can assume flash revenue is shifting fast from hybrid arrays to AFAs and servers.

*I did not confirm the numbers Chris presented here - just commenting on my read of them

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

can private companies lie?

The challenge with reporting the revenue of private companies is that they can lie, without having to back it up. Apparently one of them on that list has been caught lying about their revenue numbers but garter won't re-issue the report.

12. WageSlave

Misleading title, Reg, you can and should do better

So Gartner uses an arbitrary and rather skewed method of measurement, thereby offering an opportunity for a controversial and mis-leading headline.

I am more interested in El Reg debunking myths, and not promoting them - this is a non-article.

(... It should cease to be.

It should curl up its tootsies and join the bleedin' choir invisibule

etc., etc.,)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like