back to article 'Photof*cket' men manacled, indicted over Photobucket password-protected pic plunder

Two men, who were indicted and arrested Stateside on Friday for allegedly breaching pic-hosting website Photobucket.com, face conspiracy and fraud charges. The suspects, Brandon Bourret, 39, of Colorado Springs, Colorado and Athanasios Andrianakis, 26, of Sunnyvale, California, were cuffed and taken away for questioning, the U …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Photobucket

themselves were caught giving out users details freely to anyone willing to pay for them a few years ago.

But it seems that's not important.....

1. Tom Samplonius

Re: Photobucket

"themselves were caught giving out users details freely to anyone willing to pay for them a few years ago."

Reference? Google searches turn up nothing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wish i could. But i clearly remember the story. Photobucket had admitted to openly passing off users details to anyone who could be bothered to buy them. When i asked photobucket about this i was told in no uncertain terms it was a "privacy" issue and they would not discuss it. My account ended that day.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

I also once heard on the internet, not sure when, that Aliens were caught tap dancing around Trafalgar square, naked with a bunch of pixies covered in baby oil.

Since then, I've never bought a pair of tap shoes.

2. frank ly

Does this set a precedent ....

.... for NSA staff who access people's private video chats and photo-collections for their own amusement or interest?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does this set a precedent ....

Damn, you beat me to it...

3. P. Lee

They did wrong, they need to be punished

But 10 years and $250k is stupidly excessive.

It brings both the legislative and law enforcement into disrepute.

Government needs to stop setting punishments by the amount the feel embarrassed when caught out doing wrong.

4. Gritzwally Philbin

What's astonishing to me is that anyone still uses Photobucket in the first place. Unless it's changed it's TOS since I quit using the service - there's a ton of better hosting sites available..

Huh.

5. JassMan
    WTF?

What's the fraud?

If they sold an app and it did what it said on the tin, how can it be fraud? It may be used for illegal purposes but surely most of the fault lies with poor security at photobucket. They have a serious problem if a guest account has access to users private files.

1. phil 27
      Stop

Re: What's the fraud?

This, where are the people investingating photobucket for really crap software design?

After all by letting people put private albums then not keeping them private by misuse of a feature, are they not breaching their duty of care?

This issue has been known about on reddit etc long before photofuket made it pointy clicky. Indeed there used to be a section of reddit dedicated to fusking techniques...

Photofukets authors guilty, but mostly of embarassing legal commercial business and rocking the boat.

6. Winkypop Silver badge

Call me old fashioned but...

...if you'd prefer no one saw your pics why put them on the Internet?

I'm not joking.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

""victimising those who have a right to protected privacy on the internet,” said U.S. Attorney for the District of Colorado John Walsh."

Says the man who lives in a country where the government snoop on everything...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like