back to article Rogue cybersecurity firm killed cancer testing lab, claims ex-employee

A former employee of well-connected security firm Tiversa has claimed in court that the company falsified information about the severity of a data breach at a cancer laboratory that was later forced to close after a government data security investigation. Georgia cancer testing laboratory LabMD – or rather, what's left of it …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No contradiction

"Wallace just contradicted [LabMD's] entire argument by testifying that he only used a simple program that hundreds of millions of people have used." Last time I looked Limerick was used by hundreds of millions. Hell, I tried it out way back when. Not being into pop music, I didn't get the point (then).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No contradiction

Last time I looked Limerick was used by hundreds of millions. Hell, I tried it out way back when. Not being into pop music, I didn't get the point (then).

Wait. What? LimeWire is not Limerick. Or have things changed that much since I last looked at LimeWire? There was shed loads more than pop music available back then, too.

2. Allan George Dyer

Re: No contradiction

Well, Wallace did rather undermine LabMD's claim ("we were framed") by his evidence that the data LabMD should have been keeping safe was open to anyone who tried to access it with LimeWire. However, that doesn't let Tiversa off the hook - they lied, changing "this data is open for anyone to steal" into "this data has already been stolen" and demanded a fee, grassing on LabMD when they didn't get it. That is perilously close to blackmail.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WW3 will begin on the internet

The company falsely accused the Iranians of stealing helicopter plans - meanwhile the US.gov is doing everything it can to close the loop between a hack and military retaliation - it's only a matter of time before something like this happens again and starts a nuclear war, all because some BS security consultant with government connections wants to drum up business.

Sci-fi says it'll be a computer with a loose connection to reality that ends humanity - reality will be more banal - just some two-bit contractor trying to make a buck.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

I ♥ (Mukden, Gleiwitz, Golf of Tonkin, Smoking Mushroom) incidents

You realize that all the information about the Iranian nuclear program (that the Intelligence Community actually says was stopped in 2004 once the politicians have left the room) and that has been nonstop in WaPo/NYT as being the Most Immediate Threat Ever only comes from the "smoking laptop", sourced from the messianic terror organization MEK (recently invited to testify before congress how implementing regime change in Iran would weaken ISIS, I kid you not) by way of Israel.

These kind of events are a FEATURE not a bug.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Got popcorn?

Bold claims by everyone, but who really has the hard evidence?

If the former employee did not cover his ass with offsite logs, then he's pretty screwed.

4. Nanners

I believe

Half of what security firms say and believe they create the other half. Who is keeping an eye on these guys?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like