back to article Kiwi company posts job ad for Windows support scammers

Fancy a gig in which you must “Tell users all computer are infected”, always “Follow a script no matter what” and “Write down credit card numbers and details most clearly”? There's even bonuses to be had “for you when you get users’ bank and credit card details when fix the windows computer.” If that sounds like you, New …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

I find...

...jobs that show a good salary in the advert get the most eyeballs.

The ones where you need 600 qualifications, but don't mention a salary, usually mean they are going to pay bugger all and expect everything.

1. jockmcthingiemibobb

Re: I find...

For some reason, very few job adverts include a salary range in the land of the long white shroud.

Jokes aside...I'm now confused whether they're after helpdesk support robots or software developers. Guess I've failed their test.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I find...

Because they either have an exact fixed salary, or they want to size you up before offering.

I remember having Magnum Mac offer me minimum wage to be a repair tech "but great salary once you are Apple certified!". I pointed out I was already certified, and did onsite repairs for my last job at a university. So could they tell me the great salary, since I would obviously be straight on it.

Stunned silence, followed by "well, we;re really looking to get someone on the path to being certified..."

I laughed at them, and told them they should at least read a CVs qualifications section before attempting their bullshit. Since they DEMAND it must only be two sides of A4. Sometimes, my dear HR drone, it's longer than that because of actual relevant stuff, not just bumfluff padding.

I don't have a CS degree. I can surface mount solder, own and use an oscilloscope. Guess which one you need to be able to "fix hardware". Which these days probably means "can repack into box, send to owner"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

Support is fun here and people love talk about they funny users.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This works?

Unless this is well-known long running joke down under, personally I'd assume it was a scam pretending to be from the power company, like the Microsoft prize draw winnings my spam filters are informed of with monotonous regularity.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: This works?

What? You mean Microsoft don't have prize draws?

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Yes! You too can win the Windows 95 Plus Pack!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Windows

Nobody would ever believe you can win the Windows 95 Plus Pack. MS doesn't offer upgrades from Win 8.x :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1500 ad views...

... and he can't hire techies.... sounds like there is another problem there!

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Headmaster

Wait a minute

So, do I get to scam people, or just fix windows or... wait a minute aren't they the same? Now I get it, wait a minute...

6. TheProf
    Headmaster

Grandma

"There's even bonuses to be had "

Try writing "There are even bonuses ". People might be fooled into thinking you're (not you's) part of the advert campaign.

(Sorry, I'm being picky today.)

1. TheProf

Re: Grandma

Thank you for the Thumb's up you nice person.

I'm feeling a lot less picky now.

7. BongoJoe

Ugh

I've worked for "I'm ever so funny" managers before and, as a rule, they weren't.

The advert has served its purpose.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ugh

RIP David Brent.

8. eJ2095

Sent in my sample code...

10 print "Hello"

20 goto 10

Sorted jobs mine :-0

9. Crazy Operations Guy

If they are like most companies

They could get a lot better talent by replacing their HR department. So many time I've seen HR folk reject job applicants because they don't have the exact qualifications.

At one point I was rejected for a job because I only had an associate's degree in CS rather than the bachelor's they wanted. I only had the BS because I left college to become the first non-founder employee of the company that made the product the people that rejected me needed an integration architect for...

10. Mike 16

Must have been a similar Ad

that got my bank its website developers. I swear the only clue that their email and website _may_ not be a scam is the lack of a Nigerian IP address.

11. x 7

If you want a similar job in India ask this company

http://www.arjuninc.com/AIES.html

I managed once to track them down as the source of a lot of the spam "Microsoft" support calls

you can apply here

http://arjuninc.com/Careers.html

they did have a page for a fake AV product at http://www.arjunaainternetsecurity.com/

but that seems to have been shut down

12. Cheshire Cat
    Stop

Looks like a joke advert

Pretty sure this is a fake joke advert.

"If willing and compromise ethics = make money, then you fit in well."

I can't imagine anyone would say this in a real ad, plus the poor english is a bit of a giveaway - and the real scammers only recruit in India anyways....

13. R Callan

The problem is that for some tears there have been spam callers doing exactly this in N.Z. When after about 1000 calls the called person gets somewhat irate, then the call and hang up calls start. The only thing common to all of the callers is a distinct sub continental accent.

The advertisers would appear to have shot themselves in both feet.

1. Dagg Silver badge
      Mushroom

>The only thing common to all of the callers is a distinct sub continental accent.

With me that is an immediate hang-up, no questions nothing...

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. MR BANSTER

MR BANSTER @NZ_BRIAN

Subject : MR BRIAN BANSTER

FROM THE OFFICE MR BRIAN BANSTER

POWERSHOP NEW ZELAND (PSNZ).

WELLINGTON.

NEW ZELAND.

AWESOME SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ROLE.

I AM BRIAN BANSTER, THE CTO OF NEW ZELAND POWERSHOP HERE IN WELLINGTON, NEW ZELAND. DURING THE COURSE OF OUR AUDITING,, I DISCOVERED A JOB OPPORTUNITY FOR A SOFTWARE DEVELOPER AND AFTER GOING THROUGH SOME OLD FILES IN THE RECORDS I DISCOVERED THAT THE ROLE IS AWESOME.

AND NOBODY HAS DISCOVERED THIS ROLE AS THE PREVIOUS OWNER OF THIS ROLE IS A FOREIGNER, HE DIED, SINCE 2003 AND NO OTHER PERSON KNOWS ABOUT THIS ROLE OR ANY THING CONCERNING IT, THE ROLE HAS NO OTHER APPLICATIONS AND MY INVESTIGATION PROVED TO ME AS WELL THAT PREVIOUS HOLDER DIE. I AM CONTACTING YOU THIS ROLE CAN ONLY BE APPROVED TO ANY SOFTWARE DEVELOPER WITH VALID INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE OR DRIVERS LICENSE AND BANK ACCOUNT BECAUSE THE MONEY IS IN NZ DOLLARS (NZ $) AND THE FORMER OWNER OF THE ROLE IS A FOREIGNER AND DIED.

WITH MY INFLUENCE AND THE POSITION OF THE TECHNOLOGY OFFICAL WE CAN TRANSFER THIS ROLE TO YOU WITH ASSURANCE THAT THIS EXPERENCE WILL BE AWESOME. ON THE CONCLUSION OF THIS TRANSACTION YOU WILL BE ENTITLED TO 100% OF THE SALARY AS GRATIFICATION AND ALSO TELEPHONE BILLS, WHILE 21.8% WILL BE FOR ME.

SO ON THE INDICATION OF YOUR WILLINGNESS I WANT YOU TO FORWARD TO ME IN STRICTEST CONFIDANCE YOUR :FULL NAME: EMAIL ADDRESS: GITHUB IF ANY FULL CONTACT ADDRESS: PHONE: CELL: FAX: CITY: STATE:ZIP CODE COUNTRY: OCCUPATION AND ALL THE NECESSARYINFORMATION WILL BE SENT TO YOU ON THE ACCEPTANCE TO CHAMPION THIS RUBY JAVA NET TRANSACTION WITH ME.

THANKS

IN TRUST

BRIAN BANSTER

POWERSHOP NEW ZELAND (PSNZ)

MR_BANSTER@POWERSHOP.CO.NZ

16. Chika

There's some bloke from India calling about a copyright claim...

17. -tim
    Facepalm

Do they have a qualified candidate already?

I figured they turned one of their many received CVs into a job advert.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like