back to article T-Mobile prods at corpse of BlackBerry, says 'me too!'

T-Mobile has taken up the cause of BlackBerry, agreeing to offer the fading firm's products in its mobile lineup, nearly two years after it dropped the Canadian's hardware from retail stores. John Legere, head of T-Mobile US, stayed true to his 'uncarrier' credo by caving to isolated user demand for new models from the …

1. Mage Silver badge

Once the leading brand in the smartphone space

It can't have been long, as I blinked and missed it.

Certainly for a while they were more significant. I can't see why T-Mobile is bothering. Especially as Mobile Operators would love to stop subsidizing handsets, as long as all their competitors stopped first.

1. Irongut

Re: Once the leading brand in the smartphone space

Because who needs choice? After all we're all happy to be force fed crap software by Apple, Google and Microsoft and crap hardware by Apple, Samsung, ex-Nokia and their other OEM partners. As long as we can get cat pics on Facebook to make us forget the NSA are watching everything we do who cares?

2. James 51

Oh bugger off will you. I haven't seen such a relentlessly negative article since this morning when when the daily hate was telling people not to let red ed steal the election.

3. Headley_Grange Silver badge

It was a leading brand in PDA space

Secure email, calendar, ToDo manager, contacts and notes with PIN messaging and a keyboard, all integrated with desktop and enterprise. A proper PDA for workers who acted like they were organized. That's how I remember the little blue Blackberry I had about ten years ago; I loved it and I was looking forward to the Classic because it came along just as my 4S was feeling old. I was convinced that I was going to jump back into BB world. Then I did my research. No ToDo manager. No Notes. No confidence that it would synch with Mac Calendar and Contacts and no way to contact RIM for help if you haven't got a Twitter account (I haven't got a Twitter account) except by writing to them in Canada (they don't reply).

I guess I'm not a typical user. I want a phone, contacts, email, ToDo, Calendar, and I want desktop apps that synch with it. I don't do social stuff. I don't watch fillums on a 4" screen. Music would be handy, but I've got a bunch of iPods somewhere, so that's not a dealbreaker. A bit of web access every now and then is handy - but I could live without it (and where I normally work I generally have to!).

I'm off to eBay to see how much a 7320 will cost me - although I have a vague recollection that the last time I tried this I fell over at the BES stage.

1. James 51

Re: It was a leading brand in PDA space

If you type to do the assistant brings up reminders as the nearest match but there are plenty of to do apps in the blackberry app store. Don't have a mac so can't help you there. It does pull in facebook, yahoo and hotmail contacts and calendars.

2. legless82

On my BB Passport, the To-do and Notes are all held within the 'Remember' application, which is a core component of the BB10 OS. I can't see why the Classic would be any different.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Remember app is also in Classic (no surprise, it's the same BB10 OS) although I have not used it. I think this particular app lacks synchronization (to Exchange Gmail etc.)

2. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

Come to think of it, I'm just assuming that the contacts and calendar components of BB10 sync with google. Does anyone know if this is the case?

1. BigJoe

It syncs seamlessly with Google. All you do is add your Google account. It also syncs seamlessly with Exchange.

So much ignorance about these devices! They are, in fact, far more advanced than the competition in many ways.

3. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

No native to-do manager? Let's hope the third-party apps are of better quality than the third-party apps were for the old blackberries. They were absolutely dire. Awful UIs, buggy implementations etc.

I love the shape of the passport though. We need to replace our work phones and I for one would be happy with the lack of apps and all, if only the passport could do google drive, docs and sheets properly. Apparently they work if you go via the browser but I don't know how well they work. If I knew I could easily edit, create and view google docs and sheets, the Passport would probably tick all the boxes for me.

4. CrosscutSaw

Not noteworthy, but ok then

BB may be pretty much dead, but if TMo wants to offer it, I don't see the problem. Let the customer choose which device they want, nothing wrong with that. Good for them. I wouldn't get one, but somebody else might.

1. BigJoe

Re: Not noteworthy, but ok then

Yeah, smart people with real jobs will get them. It's not designed for you. It's designed for people who want long battery life, strong signal, excellent integration of tasks, contacts, locations, documents and other core functions BUILT IN to the OS. It's for people who need to type coherent sentences quickly and who can't afford to miss any communication from anyone. It's not about for everyone, just for people with lives, brains and money.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport

5. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Controversial article

Controversial Comment:-

Mr Legere might be making a shrewd move.

6. Dan 55 Silver badge
    WTF?

什么他妈的?

"Bringing BlackBerry into our device line-up now also stokes Un-carrier 9.0, which is all about bringing the Un-carrier revolution to business."

From which we can deduce that he was giving the presentation in China in Chinese and the quote was translated by Google Translate.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like