back to article Online pizza order saves woman and children from knife-wielding kidnapper

A quick-thinking kidnappee managed to summon the cops using the comments section of an online order for pizza while being held hostage with her three children. On Monday Cheryl Treadway, 25, from Avon Park in Florida, spent the day arguing with her boyfriend Ethan Nickerson. He became violent, armed himself with a large knife …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Unhappy

Cops arrive - perp cuffed - kids safe and all

But no pizza?

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Cops arrive - perp cuffed - kids safe and all

Clearly it's been over 30 minutes so the pizza should be free.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

only in Florida

steaming hot justice delivered

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> ... and obstructing justice by depriving communication to law enforcement.

They really have a specific law for that?

1. Mad Mike

Rather pointless law

Doesn't this seem a rather pointless law? Doesn't any kidnapping/hostage situation normally result in this. I can't really understand why there needs to be a specific law for this, as the situation can't exist in isolation (surely)? Isn't it covered by the other laws being broken at the same time?

1. SolidSquid

Re: Rather pointless law

No, it's just that "obstructing justice" is a ludicrously broad law which can be applied in a lot of situations, including this one.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Rather pointless law

It is so the plods can get a conviction on something. States like Florida have to pay a large portion of the defense costs if the defendant is acquitted. If he is convicted of something I don't believe they have to pay. As someone else pointed out, the wording is very vague and makes it easy for the Jury to convict on something.

2. M7S
      Big Brother

@ Skelband

I think you'll find soon that it will also cover "walking in a public place without your phone turned on (and tracking, remote mic access etc enabled)"

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: @ Skelband

Ah, but you assume that using the power button switches your phone off. It should be "walking in a public place without a battery fitted in your phone."

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Made up scenario where only this law would be broken (maybe?)...someone comes to your door and asks you to call the cops...if you don't you're breaking this law but no other law (presumably no such thing as duty to help in the US)

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

> ... and obstructing justice by depriving communication to law enforcement.

They really have a specific law for that?

Yes, and it's quite an important one. It's frequently used by victims of domestic violence. Typical case: spousal argument gets heated, then violent; victim tries to call 911; attacker takes phone away. A "depriving communication" or "interfering with communication" (the precise statute differs from state to state) charge is generally much easier to prove than assault, and suffices for the victim to obtain a protection order, for police to remove the offender from the home, etc.

I live in a small city that sees little serious crime, but domestic disputes are still common - there are a few in the blotter every week - and an interference-with-communication charge is frequently key in separating the parties involved. There's often physical evidence (broken phone, aborted call to emergency services, etc), and they don't have to wait for bruises to start showing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pizza saves lives

The Turtles taught me that.

1. Thecowking

Re: Pizza saves lives

See also: Samurai Pizza Cats.

Definitely not a knock off, nope. no siree.

1. gloucester

Re: Pizza saves lives

@thecowking: thanks, now I've got that b****y theme song stuck in my head.

5. Six_Degrees

And the unanswered question on the Internet's mind is: was it an Android, or an iPhone?

6. Allan George Dyer
    Devil

Surprising News

Someone reads the comments field!

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Joke

should have ordered doughnuts

maybe the cops would have gotten the message directly? No need for Dunkin Doughnuts to call 911

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which arrives faster?

Isn't the old joke that a pizza delivery will get to you faster than the cops?

Asking the pizza guys for help seems perfectly logical in that context.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We've never seen that before"

No shit. I was under the impression that people using Pizza ordering apps to alert authorities to hostage situations would be a commonplace, daily occurrence. I mean, we are talking about Florida here.

10. Fullbeem

DId the police prevent the pizza being delivered before 30minutes? Therefore was the pizza free. Or did the police confiscate the pizza as "Evidence"

11. JayBizzle

And no one died? Three cheers for the cops' lack of itchy trigger finger.

12. Graham Marsden
    Coat

But...

... did she tip?

13. DNTP

Help

This weekend I'm going to be held hostage in the equipment room to force a company to release a sum of money. Can someone bring me a pizza.

14. Bob Dole (tm)

Great feel good story

Ignore the "fun" comments.

I am happy that the woman was able to save herself and her children. The world needs more of these outcomes.

15. CaptainBanjax

Eh?

How is this news? The Turtles have been dishing out pizza based justice since the 80s.

I like turtles.

16. hi_robb

Silly woman

She shouldn't have said she wanted topping...

/Gets coat

17. x 7

should've delivered a pizza laced with pepper spray

18. ecofeco Silver badge

Florida

...'cause Florida.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like