back to article Sorry, Windows 10 early adopters: Microsoft Edge WON'T block ads at launch

You won't have to worry about dodgy toolbars, rogue ActiveX controls, or buggy plugins when you use Microsoft Edge (née Project Spartan), Redmond's new web browser for Windows 10. But you can also forget about extending the browser in any way, at least at first. Microsoft gave a sneak peek at its new, HTML/JavaScript-based …

1. Kev99 Silver badge

Once more Microsoft listens to its....CASH REGISTERS, NOT its customers.

1. Len Goddard

Irrelevant

This makes the strange assumption that anyone is going to use an MS browser.

1. EddieD

Re: Irrelevant

I'll stick with Firefox.

Flash and PDF should be the first to go.

1. clayusmcret

Same here.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

It makes an even stranger assumption that ... "You won't have to worry about dodgy toolbars, rogue ActiveX controls, or buggy plugins when you use Microsoft Edge". I dislike* to have to use the obvious as a catapult against Microsoft, but since when is any first launch product in any industry free from worry? Especially when things always seem to go sideways with the things you're told not to worry about!

Besides, what is a Microsoft web browser without rogue ActiveX controls? Without that, there will be no press on the security exploits, and without that there will be no news coverage. It will be like it never happened! I guess in the end, I'm hoping the author is right after all! Salute to you, Neil McAllister!!

* A lie.

2. Roger B

And you think Google is going to allow ad blocking in Chrome for ever and ever?

3. Big-nosed Pengie

That would be "still".

4. TheVogon

"Unfortunately, that will leave Edge users with virtually no ability to adjust the browser's behavior or add new features. (We're looking at you, AdBlock.) The new browser supports neither ActiveX controls nor Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), which developers could use to extend Internet Explorer with plugins and add-on toolbars, respectively."

But no one needs to use any of these things to block adverts in IE. It has great built in advert filtering which can use the same blocking list as Adblock via the "Tracking Protection" feature. As far as I can see this will still be supported in Microsoft Edge as it does not seem to be on the list of removed features.

See http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/TrackingProtectionLists/

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Once more Microsoft looks to Google and copies, targeted advertising ahoy !

6. asdf

ad blocking doesn't rely on the browser

If you can set a browser to use a localhost proxy you have ad blocking. Long live Privoxy.

2. David 132 Silver badge

Edge has all the features I need

I've always preferred to think of Microsoft's browser as a single-purpose tool to download a proper browser, as in "Oh, I see Microsoft have released Firefox Downloader Version 11".

So on that score, Edge has everything I might ever need from it.

But I do like downloading Firefox in a way that is, as Joe Belfiore touted it at BUILD, "on the edge of consuming and creating" and "to the developer notion of being close to the modern capabilities of the web.".

Thanks Joe. Really appreciate your hard work there.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Blitterbug
      Meh

Re: Oh, I see Microsoft have released Firefox Downloader Version 11

I read this and thought I had opened Ars by mistake...

3. Tromos

Answer: The hosts file.

Works with any browser, most major operating systems, doesn't accept 'bribes'.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Answer: The hosts file.

and just how are the majority of windows users going to find it let alone know how to change it properly?

Will they even know what IP's/URL's to alias to 127.0.0.1 in the first place?

The hosts file is fine for us experts/geeks/etc but for the average Wayne or Sharon? forget it.

Personally, this Browser is a non starter apart from the one use which is to act as a downloader for other browsers that can block Adverts.

1. Kevin Fairhurst

If you're not blocking ads at the router level, you're doing it wrong!

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin ftw

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Kevin

It's not all about you, it's about ordinary users.

Who think a hosts file is a list of who will give them dinner.

2. asdf

>If you're not blocking ads at the router level, you're doing it wrong!

I also do so using privoxy on my router (for unrooted devices on my network) but it would tax many weenie or older routers out there especially if you start adding rules. If your router doesn't have at least 64 meg memory (be surprised how many don't) you are going to see performance issues.

2. TheVogon

"Answer: The hosts file. "

That can only block whole sites, and not intelligently match urls....Not an effective filtering method for many sites that host both content and adverts.

1. Tromos

Re: Answer: The hosts file. @TheVogon

In most cases, I'm quite happy to allow sites with their own adverts and analytics. It is passing these on to third parties with all their tracking and snooping that is my main objection.

In many cases, these would be special interest sites with relevant advertising and I may be visiting the site specifically to see the ads.

4. Mikel

Promises for an indefinite future date

Microsoft seems to be post-dating a lot of checks for "someday" lately. Most of the hype about Windows 10 seems to be due to come after launch with an update some day. How much of it is finished? Half? None?

1. Spasticus Autisticus
      Mushroom

Re: Promises for an indefinite future date

I seem to remember in the dim distant past the 'four pillars' of Windows XP. The only one I can remember was that XP would have a new, better file system than NTFS. I believe all four 'pillars' were quietly dropped - and, more than a decade on, NTFS is still the file system of Windows. Other OSs have had new file systems but MS can't seem to break free from their crappy past programming decisions and we just get another Regal Supervan with new shiny bodywork.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The "Pillars of Longhorn" (or WinXP) were:

- the new file system (WinFS) which, as you say, was dropped

- Avalon, the new graphics system (WPF) which still lives on but hasn't exactly set the world alight

- Indigo, the WS-x protocols (WCF) which were a big success and still widely used, although things like REST now play in some of the same territory

1. Jonathan 27

Yeah...

Longhorn was Windows Vista, not XP. XP was Whistler.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Yeah...

And Windows 98 was Whistler's Mother. ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Windows has supported the Installable File System API from it's initial NT release onwards - out of the box it supports FAT and NTFS but it supports any number of others. But in the main, NTFS meets most users' requirements so people stick with it.

3. jonathanb Silver badge

Server 2012 has ReFS, which is Microsoft's answer to ZFS, though probably pointless on the desktop.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will it support custom css style sheets for accessibility? Those are great for removing the empty ad blocks after using a hosts file to prevent downloading the garbage.

Put those two together and you've got a customizable ad-blocker.

6. Craigness

IE lives

"Diehard IE users may lose other functionality that they've grown accustomed to, as well."

IE ships with Windows 10 so IE users will not lose anything.

7. Russle

Windows 10 OPERATION FEMA CAMP

Judge Forrest is quoted as saying Section 1021(b)(2) of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) stripped Americans of core liberties reminded the Judge of how the supreme court incarcerated millions of American citizens with relations to Japanese during ww2.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Russle

Just a hint, you posted to the wrong thread and maybe to the wrong website forum.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: @Russle

And I'm not sure he posted in English either.

8. IGnatius T Foobar

Microsoft FAIL

Oh great, so Windows 7.1 (also known as "Windows 10") will have a new browser. Why are they smart enough to dump IE but not smart enough to dump NIH? Does the world need YET ANOTHER browser for every web developer to have to test against?

If they're going to be this "kinder gentler" Microsoft that they keep claiming they are now, how about just joining one of the existing open source projects that produce browser engines?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Microsoft FAIL

FFS, you moan that MS don't stick to standards. They make a standards complaint one from ground up and still fucking moan.

Still supporting Netscape? Stil supoprt Chrome v1?

One is being depreciated, one is being introduced, what is so hard about that?

And why "join" another OS source project? So we can have identical browsers, with all the same features and inevitably either result in fighting, stagnation or being forced to accept features you don't want.

9. david 12 Silver badge

Goodbye to my SVN:// protocol

1. Malcolm 1

I don't think that's true - they've deprecated pluggable protocols which allowed you to render bespoke protocols in the browser, but I don't think there's been any mention of deprecating custom protocol handlers. Doesn't everyone use tortoise svn anyway?

1. david 12 Silver badge

Yes, I use tortuise svn. We also use IE.

No, we don't use tortoise as a custom protocol handler: We render svn: in the browser.

10. Test Man

Not sure what the problem is here. Seeing as we won't see Windows 10 on general availability till Q4 anyway, it's not a problem whatsoever.

11. Bronek Kozicki
    Pint

Well, to me this seems like a step in right direction. A browser which supports http, https, hopefully all the current W3C standards and not much beyond it. Seems like an improvement to me!

12. Sil

Not needed

Download Peerblock. Launch Peerblock.Select the Ads list.

You're welcome.

13. craigb
    Trollface

But will it be as good at downloading Chrome/Firefox/Some other browser as IE?

14. earl grey
    Flame

relevant advertising

The only relevant advertising I ever see is the stuff that I have selected; not what some web site wants to push onto my screen space.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: relevant advertising

Please elaborate?

15. hi_robb

I guess...

We'll just have to ad our own...

/gets dragged stage left

16. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Add QBasic to browser

Forget all that advanced low level code just put the QBasic interpreter into the Browser and let us write our own scripts....

Bit like Greasemonkey, except we can play Gorillas again!

1. Jamesit

Re: Add QBasic to browser

"Forget all that advanced low level code just put the QBasic interpreter into the Browser and let us write our own scripts....

Bit like Greasemonkey, except we can play Gorillas again!"

That would be a good use for IE, I might even use it then. My productivity might suffer abit tho...:-)

17. sabroni Silver badge
    Facepalm

So Daily Mail!

This is a good move by MS, you'd be mental to want all IE's non-standard extensions moved into a new product. The Reg in it's typical style spins that as "MS allow Ads!" and the commentards pile in about how shit that is.

You're supposed to be smart enough to see beyond the baity headlines, ffs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like