back to article Twitter boots out classic DOS games, world productivity surges

The Internet Archive is still sharing 2,600 blast-from-the-past DOS games, and these are still playable in web browsers - but no longer so via Twitter. We reported on what was almost definitely an anarchist plot to strangle global productivity at the time, but it seems Dick Costolo has terrified his workers into removing the …

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Trollface

What? Did I miss Twitter having an actual use?

1. Mark 85

Obviously, you blinked. As did I. We missed something of major importance between the self-serving Twitterati's twits.. err.. tweets. OTOH, with the link, we can go get the games and not be bothered with Twitter.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Hazarding a guess, folks at The Register reckon it's a matter of Twitter ensuring there is no functionality..."

I think the productivity theory is more likely, don't want companies blocking Twatter do they?

There's more rules for these social networking sites than roller coasters, why bother with such a mono culture?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. BobRocket

Available != Usage

Just because something is available does not mean you can make use of it unless you have a license, it is good that these are available as I paid good money for quite a lot of them back in the day (mostly on 5.25).

Cheers Reg for the link, I promise to only play those I paid for (like Wolfenstien)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. User McUser

Re: Available != Usage

Archives and Libraries are exempted from many (but not all) copyright restrictions, so in theory they may be well within their rights.

If not, then I'm sure a hoard of lawyers will be dispatched to crush their bones and enslave their offspring and spouses (as required by the Berne Convention.)

2. phuzz Silver badge

They do have a takedown mechanism, but apparently only about 20 or so copyright holders have asked for their games to be removed.

They've been hosting arcade games for almost six months now, so apparently nobody cares.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like