back to article Firm with 80 per cent of UK mobile numbers fails to monetise them, sold to O2

Weve, the mobile marketing consortium of EE, O2 and Vodafone, is being sold to O2. The organisation, which was formed with £38m from its wealthy parents under the codename “Project Oscar” fought significant regulatory hurdles with the aim of building a common technology for mobile NFC payments. Weve was launched at the end of …

1. FordPrefect

I presume consent has been given...

...for this transfer of personal information from one legal entity to another?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I presume consent has been given...

"I presume consent has been given"

I doubt that (making the unlikely assumption that Weve had obtained your consent in the first place) they'd need to renew it for a change in ownership of Weve, in the same way Tesco don't seek new approval as their shareholder register changes.

Having said that, since it is something to do with telecoms, (a) they probably didn't have real consent, and just rely on a highly questionable if not outright illegal clause buried in very very small print of a very long contract nobody reads, and (b) the data processing was long since offshored somewhere with lower costs and even lower standards of data protection, again relying for their authority to ship the data out on some other dodgy clause or even dodgier contract amendment that they never sent to customers.

1. BobRocket

'a very long contract nobody reads'

I love those, just tippex out a clause, insert a new one in your favour (it has to be reasonable) and send it back signed.

If ever they want to enforce a bit that you don't like you can point out that you would also like your clause enforcing.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/24/terms-and-conditions-online-small-print-information

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/24/terms-and-conditions-online-small-print-information

Funny, I have done much the same as Mr. Agarkov, except in full view of the bank manager--I just wrote in the contract all the stuff that he promised about (lack of) fees, etc. He could hardly complain.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like