back to article Key ADSL contributor Joseph W Lechleider dies at 82

The man who put the “asymmetric” in front of DSL has died aged 82. As an engineer at Bellcore – Bell Communications Research, later Telecordia Technologies – Joseph Lechleider worked in a research team trying to solve the problems of digital telecommunications. In those days, analogue transmissions were limited by line …

1. Deltics

128kbps (ISDN) may be considered unsatisfactory now...

But back in the day it could knock ADSL into a cocked hat.

I'm referring to the days when for some time there was no ADSL to compare with and for consumers (and SME's) it was a huge step up from a 33.6kbps modems which were the next best thing.

Even when ADSL arrived, for a long time IDSN was available in more places than ADSL had yet reached and when even if you could get it ADSL could mean as little as 250 kbps, with high contention ratios if you were unlucky enough to live on a street with well heeled, tech savvy neighbours

That 128kbps of ISDN on the other hand was all yours, so it was quite possible that your "unsatisfactory" ISDN line would leave your neighbours ADSL for dust.

Which isn't to say that ISDN wasn't obviously the inferior technology given the potential that ADSL had to offer, once it matured. I just wish sometimes that we wouldn't be so quick to forget the context and the history of technology in our rush to be so dismissive of older technology just because it is, well, older.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: 128kbps (ISDN) may be considered unsatisfactory now...

Agreed. From 1999 to 2002 I worked from home in Lincoln, Nebraska (the state capital and second-largest city in the region), and BRI ISDN was the only reasonable choice for Internet access - including VPN to the corporate network - there at the time. And it was perfectly adequate for many purposes, including telnet to our UNIX systems in the UK.

Wasn't much good for remote-GUI work (whether X11, Citrix, VNC, etc), but even that was possible in an emergency.

'course in the mid-90s I was using a 56kb/s digital line, and before that Telebit Trailblazers running either SLIP or that Telebit proprietary file-transfer protocol (or once in a while zmodem or Kermit). And while doing my undergrad degrees it was V.42bis and earlier 1200b/s async dialup.1 Or, years before that, the occasional BBS use with a Hayes 300 baud modem, though that was only ever for larks, not real work.

So 128kb/s seemed pretty decent for remote access. And the connection time was magical, after years of +++ATDT DTMF tones ring train train train maybe connect get a cup of coffee...

1Plus a smattering of SDLC for SNA. Say what you will about SNA and SDLC, but man, I did not miss async when I was working with those connections. App tries to connect to host and the line comes up with no fuss, and you get the full symbol rate for actual data. Async didn't do that until, what, V.42?

2. Christian Berger

One also has to note that in the early drafts the uplink speed of ADSL was supposed to just be 32k. ADSL never was meant for the Internet, but for "Interactive Television" where you can live with a much lower uplink than downlink. If it was meant for data it would have symmetric rates.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. ZSn

I think that you misunderstand. A voiceband modern uses echo cancelling with the upstream and downstream using the same frequency bands. ADSL uses non-overlapping frequency bands for the upstream and downstream.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a different issue. Voice band modems share the available resource through time, versus sharing the resource through frequency for xDSL. Time division versus frequency division.

The crosstalk problem doesn't occur in the voice band because the modulated waveform doesn't have the characteristics that cause it to impose itself on other nearby circuits. The signal must comply with the PAM/PCM rules being applied at the telephone exchange or it won't go anywhere - so 300hz to 3.4Khz, with an 8Khz sample rate. The PSTN was designed around that standard and a waveform that complies will, in a healthy network, not be of concern to any other metallic circuits.

xDSL is different though - multiple channels are set up at different frequencies on the pair of wires and some of these can impose themselves on adjacent circuits. A strong signal that has just left a transmitting device can easily swamp the low signal being received on an adjacent circuit from a transmitting device at the far end of that circuit. It's very hard to hear what someone at the end of your garden is saying, even if they're shouting, if your next door neighbour is standing the other side of your fence right next to you and also shouting. That's crosstalk.

They key to solving this problem is a system of rules about how all these devices must co-operate in terms of signal frequency and power to achieve the highest mean throughput for all the users in a given plan. That's what Lechleider solved.

4. Roger Mew

Cancer of the oesophagus

A change of thought on a person with a wired brain, I am doing a little research into various cancers, so firstly did he smoke, pipe or cigarette, and he must have "fiddled" with electronics, for example hobby soldering?

Anyway, from the techy community RIP

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon