back to article Bonny Scottish post-pub nosh neckfiller: Rumbledethumps

It's been far too long since we at the El Reg post-pub nosh team ventured north of the border in search of the very best wobbly dining haute cuisine, and indeed it was way back in 2012 that we served readers the very pinnacle of Scottish fusion cuisine – the quite remarkable haggis pakora. This simply won't do, so at the …

1. Col

Add bacon lardons at the frying stage. Because bacon.

1. Little Mouse

Unfortunately, bacon comes from a part of the pig that isn't actively involved in the digestion or breathing processes, and as such is forbidden under Scottish law.

2. x 7

rather than swede or turnip, use a mangelwurzel. Easy to find "free" growing on farms (especially sheep farms) and a much more sweeter, but pungent taste

3. Frumious Bandersnatch

best cabbage-based "neck filler"

has got to be "Okonomiyaki." I'd love to be able to make Hiroshima style, where the ingredients are layered (I don't have a hot plate), but Kansai style is an acceptable substitute and dead easy to whip up. The main ingredients are white cabbage, batter and usually cooked bacon. The Wikipedia link lists plenty of other stuff you can put in (literally, whatever takes your fancy). Just mix up some batter (flour, cold water or stock, egg, seasoning), slice the cabbage and other ingredients, mix, fry, add extras, flip, serve. You can buy special okonomiyaki sauce but I like tonkatsu sauce on it.

It's quick to prepare, but you can always prepare it pre-pub and keep it in the fridge ready to fry later. Definitely worth trying, even if you think you don't like cabbage. Try this and you may change your mind on that.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: best cabbage-based "neck filler"

I have seen this but not had a chance to try it yet. Sounds delicious.

2. albaleo

"but Kansai style is an acceptable substitute"

Don't let my wife (an Osaka lass) hear you say that. Hiroshima style is forbidden in this house.

I suggest you use those pointy sweetheart cabbages instead of white cabbage. And chop it really fine. Adding some dashi (fish stock) to the batter helps. Bacon is good, as are shrimps, as is bacon and shrimps.

1. x 7

Is it called "Hiroshima style" because everything is squashed flat as a pancake?

4. BobRocket

I'd eat that

as title

5. Efros

My dad used to make a similar dish without the cabbage but with onions and corned beef. Essentially potato, butter, corned beef, onions, cheese all mashed together and put in a casserole with a topping of grated cheese and stuck in the oven until bubbly and golden brown on top. Served a a dish in its own right as it really was a neckfiller.

6. EddieD

Famous dish

Allegedly, it's Gordon Brown's favourite snack.

However, as usual, some cautionary words.

http://mitchbenn.bandcamp.com/track/make-yourself-a-sandwich

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Last night...

...we knocked up an "instant" neckfiller, invented on the spot as we went along. Half a pan of already boiled potatoes, 3/4 tin of corned beef, 1 large chopped onion and a tin of ready made chickpea dahl.

A little oil, fry the onions till just turning golden, add potatoes and chickpea dahl, stir carefully so as not to turn the tatties into mash, turn gas ring low, add corned beef from fridge chopped into ~1" cubes for the last couple of minutes.

You could prepare in advance, leaving out the corned beef 'cos you don't want those chunks to "dissolve" into the mess, and have it ready in under 5 mins from staggering through the front door.

Purists could, of course, make the Dahl from scratch.

8. Steven Raith

Clapshot?

Being from John O Groats (just a run and a jump from Orkney) I thoroughly approve.

It's lovely with the previous nights ghoulash.

(yes, we were an odd family when it came to food)

Steven "Most scottish person you know, even though I'm barely scottish these days" R

9. Graham Lockley

Swede/Turnip is only fit for animal feed, other than that I'll have a crack at it :)

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

I grew turnips for the first time last year, and was surprised how good they are when young and fresh.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

お好み焼き

This flat pan thing makes me think of Okonomiyaki as a fantastic post-pub nosh up.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: お好み焼き

ee, ore to ishou (kono pasokon ha nihongo no nyuuryoku dekinai kedo...)

11. Mystic Megabyte
    Happy

My 10 minute recipe for one

I use the Thai Jasmine rice from Lidl, it's jolly good.

Put a nip glass in a saucepan and half fill with rice (If you spill the rice it goes into the pan)

Add three half glass measures of water and a little sea salt.

Wash some Broccoli, put it in the pan, cover with a glass lid, and bring to the boil.

Set your timer for 10 minutes and open a tin of Tuna.

When it boils start your timer and turn the heat down to simmer.

Optional step: Fry half an onion or pour yourself a drink :)

After 10 minutes (check by looking through the glass lid) remove from stove, add the tuna and some chilli sauce. Stir it all around and serve or just eat it from the pan and save yourself some washing up!

Tasty, low fat and has greenstuff!

P.S. I heard this story yesterday in the land of clapshot.

A guy suspected his neighbour of stealing grass seed from his shed so he mixed in a load of neep seed. The neighbour's landscaped and otherwise immaculate lawn suddenly sprouted neeps everywhere!

12. David Neil

I prefer Stovies myself

Used to get them from a small place at Ayr Harbour after a night on the lash, soaked up all the nastiness

1. Pedigree-Pete

Re: I prefer Stovies myself

You sir, have an upvote for mentioning the brilliant humble Stovie. PP

13. x 7

"soaked up all the nastiness"

if Scots beer is that bad, why drink it?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

clapshot

antibiotic treatment from STD clinic?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like