back to article Why should I learn by ORAL tradition? Where's the DOCUMENTATION?

The eye-rolling comes first. This is followed by a resigned sagging of the shoulders. Then comes a theatrical slump forward, often accompanied by an equally melodramatic groan, as each user in turn puts head on desk and covers same with arms. And so begins a new round of user training in a new piece of content management …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Sorry if it's an obvious question, but...

... who's going to teach you how to use it?

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Sorry if it's an obvious question, but...

No-one. It's a process of trial and accident. It always amuses me that so much effort can go into software development without any of the developers bothering to make notes on how to use their own software.

1. Anonymous Custard

Sounds very much like the "document management" system that our HR hive foisted on we humble minions a couple of years back. That said we kinda got our own back, as it seems that the HR drones are the only ones who know how to work the damn thing (they were the only ones in the office long enough to seemingly be worth training on it, the rest of us being too busy actually working and earning the company income) and can find anything. So if we lesser beings want something we now always just ring or email them and ask them to get it for us (and if it's something actually useful we of course then store it locally for easy re-use, thus defeating the whole point of the original system).

It's always fun to hear their wailing and gnashing of teeth when they moan about having to do it, even when we point out to them that it's the most time-efficient way of tackling the damn system by a factor of about 10x. But of course actually getting a system that works (and can intuitively be worked without similar rune-chanting to the article one) seems to be beyond them.

2. albaleo

It always amuses me that so much effort can go into software development without any of the developers bothering to make notes on how to use their own software.

We can rationalize that. I have a client who, when asked if we should make some user documentation, said that if users can't understand the interface, they certainly won't understand the documentation. I've since tried to live by that principle.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

It isn't just in-house systems that suffer from this... Remember the launch of Windows 8... which in turn was just following the tradition of modern end user software that no one read the manual, so why supply a manual as the software should be intuitive; but what everyone forget is that Accounts software, for example, is only intuitive to those who know about Accounts...

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
          Holmes

But, but... isn't software self-documenting? I'm sure *someone* told me this was the case.

1. G.Y.

S/W _may_ be self-documenting if users get the source-code ...

2. KA1AXY

You're thinking of Labview

4. Martin Budden Silver badge

It always amuses me that so much effort can go into software development without any of the developers bothering to make notes on how to use their own software.

A long time ago I had to write train-the-trainer for some new software: the original functional spec was of some help. Between the spec and the finished product I was able to work out how it all worked (and I found & reported a few bugs along the way).

5. gnasher729 Silver badge

But why should software developers make notes how to use their software?

I would have thought that there is a spec describing how the software is used, and that spec is used by the software developers to create the software, and by some technical writers to create a manual for the users.

If the spec isn't clear, so that the software developers can't guarantee their code does what it should according to the spec, or the technical writers cannot guarantee that their manual describes how the software works, according to the spec, then the spec should be fixed and the changes sent to everyone involved. And if either software developers or the technical writers figure out that what the spec requests is no good, the creators of the spec should be notified and changes be made and communicated to everyone.

At no point would I assume that "notes taken by developers" would be in any way useful.

6. tony2heads
        Linux

Use the Source Luke

Oh, if it's not open source you are in deep trouble

2. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Just be glad

theres anyone with any idea how the system works at all

Our collective nightmare here at Roach towers is the legacy of robot programs created in the mists of time by the aforemention long departed employees... that have absolutly no documentation with them.

No datum points, no special tools, no fixturing, in fact, we're not even sure we still have the machine it was created for.

Then the job surfaces again, taken on by a foolish management convinced we can do it cheaper than our rivals because its been done before, and it makes its way to the shop floor, whereupon its greeted with "f*** me, this job went obsolete years ago".

And an unlucky employee gets it after the more skilled (and more aware employees have taken the day off sick/ gone down the pub/hidden in the toilet crying), and after morning of head scratching and puzzling has given up on the legacy software and decided to write a new program

This takes time of course.

This alerts the management who become enraged.

Its at this point the rest of the employees disappear into various hidey holes as yet undiscovered by the management leaving the unlucky guy who doing the job all alone on the shop floor to face the rage of the management......

On the good side though is the sure knowledge that due to the cost of making the part this time, we'll never see it again, even if it does have a spiffy new program with documentation, all written by a recent ex-employee

3. durandal

Training? Chance would be a fine thing.

Here's this new system we've mentioned obliquley on the intranet pages. Some people have had training, but most of you haven't, unless you work in the golden sectors, where we've trained everyone and given them an ipad as well.

No, you can't use the old system as we've promised the partner agency that we're not going to use it any more.

Yes, I know it's 4am. Yes, I know that neither you or your supervisors even knew how to open it, let alone use it, but we're going to insist anyway. Oh, and don't get it wrong, otherwise it'll be noticed and passed to your senior managers to reprimand you about it and, if you're lucky, we might ring you up shortly after you've got to sleep to explain that it's wrong, and then hang up before telling you how to do it properly.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Training? Chance would be a fine thing.

Training during paid employment? What's that?

Oh yes, I did have some once circa, 1992 or thereabouts.

Us Grumpy's don't get training. Our final role is to GIVE training to young upstarts who after reading their 'Idiots guide to XXXXX' think that they know all about XXXXX.

Then we get our P45's and are put out to grass.

A few months later we are back because our replacments screwed up the implementation of XXXXX.

The pay is better this time around.

Anyone would think that we gave the upstarts 'Duff Gen' in the first place.... (Honest guv, we didn't)

Coat because the new management are looking for more IT cost reductions. Time to think about getting my Leathers out and heading for the IOM and the TT.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only thing better than a weird CMS ...

... loads of them! Some obscure Notes databases, all different in format. Some wikis, many of which are on barely remember servers under desks. A "company wide" intranet CMS, that is actually less useful than any of the former but is delusionally considered by its adherents to be "the single source of corporate truth". Various "portals" with widely varying degrees of usefulness, timeliness and general synchronisation with other sources, for different customers. Entirely separate change control, bug tracking, version control, risk and issue management systems; usually (several) more than one of each, sometimes on single projects.

One or two systems that are RSS enabled, far too many that spam you with email notifications, and far too many where, unless you set aside an hour a week to visit them all, you won't know that anyone has changed them. Sorry for ranting, Dabbsy, but you've hit a bit of a nerve.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The only thing better than a weird CMS ...

The only thing better than a weird CMS ...

... loads of them! Some obscure Notes databases, all different in format. Some wikis, many of which are on barely remember servers under desks. A "company wide" intranet CMS, that is actually less useful than any of the former but is delusionally considered by its adherents to be "the single source of corporate truth". Various "portals" with widely varying degrees of usefulness, timeliness and general synchronisation with other sources, for different customers. Entirely separate change control, bug tracking, version control, risk and issue management systems; usually (several) more than one of each, sometimes on single projects.

That's why I tend to stick with Open Source projects now. Stable UI , more people coming up with good ideas or other uses, and usually I can pay developers to add the change I need - which then contribute back to the main project. The only challenge is stopping beancounters from considering it "free", paying into a project ensures you help it along, which helps yourself too.

(the latter will not work in a bank, btw, they only see "free", which is why I no longer work with banks)

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Happy

Open Source is all well and good (I use it a lot myself). However you do run the risk of a good proportion of the developers having a big tiff over some bit of trivial functionality and the best ones throwing their toys out of that particular pram and moving onto the next 'best thing since sliced bread'.

Yes you have the sources.

What do you mean you have not downloaded them and put them into local escrow?.....

What do you mean that the product web site has gone?

So by all means use Open Source but be aware of the risks associated with it and take steps to mitigate them especially if it is some widget that your whole IT build procedure depends upon.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Having the source is not really that much help.

1. End users care not a jot about source or the language it was written in or the platform. They want the end result, they see the end result. They are 1st level support or data entry clerks or receptionists or designers of crockery or the nurse entering patient details or even the developer of some wonderful bank programme who just wants some tools to ease software management and has got neither time nor budget to write his own or fix inadequately specified or tested OSS from some amateur or professional with a sad hobby.

2. Most users probably work for a firm where there are no software developers and getting the supplier to set up the LAN is as technical as they get, other than installing the MS patches or Redhat equivalent.

3. Even given that there is a developer, with time and budget: perhaps he has got no experience in the language(s) or chosen build system. He has got no idea what a Python factory method or a C<something> template is. He is highly skilled at xyz applications written in abc language with its own semantics and clever tricks. He alway worked in Eclipse or whatever and never had to think about make(1) or use lint(1) or the equivalent compiler switches. He has not got time to learn and has got three urgent projects to finish at the same time even though permitted to try and fix the "open" code (that may be that for the currently installed, locally patched and undocumented version) and the employer is cutting costs, hard.

At this point, one just wants an application that has gone through some verifiable and adequate testing and comes with a support contract giving a hotline number and reassurance to management, preferably with a fix before the end of the financial month/year.

I have worked in depth and extensively with some good open software. But I am aware just how much awful stuff is out there too and knew someone who claimed to have submitted code successfully for a Linux file system bug fix - I had to work with some of his other code later - aaarrgh!

2. Roland6 Silver badge

That's why I tend to stick with Open Source projects now.

The trouble is that open source also suffers from lack of end user documentation and training materials... Yes having access to source code may make it more developer and tech support friendly, but does very little to help users get to grips with how to use it.

Back in the 80's one of the surprises was that something as poorly documented as Unix was then, managed to make such a big impact when proprietary OS's such as VMS were so much better documented...

One of the joy's of MS Word, Excel and then Office was that back in the 80's and 90's it came with a solid set of documentation - that was largely accurate! Then MS decided not to ship documentation, leaving it to people to purchase books from the Microsoft Press, which in turn seems to have given way to books from third-party authors and websites/forums.

Obviously, with enterprise software a set of manuals may get delivered to IT support, but everyone else either gets a training course and documentation consisting of a bunch of slidesets, or as Alistair observes, from collegues. Whilst there is nothing wrong with learning from colleagues and it is to be recommended, there is a need to underpin this with access to training courses and reference documentation, the catch is that many enterprises overlook the formal training requirement and assume that people will simply learn the new system: how much training did the typical enterprise do when they deployed new versions of Windows and MS Office?

1. Alistair Dabbs

>> open source also suffers from lack of end user documentation

I perceive that most corporate-wide systems are not just bespoke to a greater or less extent but they comprise lots of bits strung together - a bit of Oracle, a bit of Red Hat, a bit of browser (but only one or two), etc. Documenting all of it in one place is unlikely.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Then MS decided not to ship documentation

Not just MS. Most big companies have laid off their tech pubs people as unnecessary costs, and assume that they just need to get the engineers to write a blog or a wiki. For which, of course, said engineers get no more time allowed. The companies still have a few editors to cleanup the English, which rarely works because the editors have never used the software so they can't do much more than fix the spelling and make sure the cheatsheet has consistent tense.

http://dilbert.com/strip/1995-11-08

AC since my wife is a much put-upon tech writer...

3. fandom

"That's why I tend to stick with Open Source projects now."

Which open source CMS would you recommend?

Serious question, by the way.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. SealTeam6

What about Alfresco ?

(I work for them)

1. dvd

Ah good old Alfresco.

Loads of detailed documentation that seemed to bear no resemblance to the version that I downloaded to evaluate.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sorry @fandom, was busy elsewhere.

Which open source CMS would you recommend?

If you have developers, Drupal is a good toolkit, but without tech people putting the blocks together you better avoid it. I personally rather get on with Joomla. It's a CMS that needs some upfront planning, but I see that actually as something that promotes success (you're forced to think about things first).

It has user categories, content classification and grouping - it has all the building blocks and quite a community to draw from, and a lively market in plugins.

The latest version also incorporates Google Authenticator support, so you can provide one time passwords, but it has one gotcha that is still part of the defaults: if you set up an account it will by default email the new user the logon ID AND THE PASSWORD. Yes, it's 2015 and they are still doing this as a standard.

Other than that, it works.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Have we met? You seem to have worked at the same places I have.

I am continually. CONTINUALLY!, amazed at how almost no one seems to remember the whole point of a computer: to solve information problems.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been there myself, though..

Sometimes you just try to fix a small problem by putting some glue code between or around things that otherwise don't get along that well, and it lessens your workload.

The problem is that solving one problem allows the idiots around you to come up with new ones. Which you need to bolt on to the original code, which was (as all quick fixes) just glue without addressing the fundamentals because those are either untouchable or are the equivalent of a house of cards in a rock concert (misplaced and unstable). Your quick fix has now turned into a self perpetuating horror, because you solved THAT problem, so it surely should not be that much work to solve THOSE as well (ad infinitum). Documentation tends to fall by the wayside as you try to keep up with the avalanche you just started. The annoying thing is that experience is the thing you get AFTER you get yourself in trouble..

That's why the most important lesson for any prospective sysadmin is the ability to say "no". Even if they can't tell C# from a cage nut - if they can do that, you're winning.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CMS on superdome

Anon, for obvious reasons.

There was this shite application, hacked with Oracle IAS V1. The whole sheebang: bypassed APIs, check, works only by sheer miracle and unspeakable hacks, while Oracle had said it was not possible, check, can't be moved to a system with another IP or hostname, check.

As a result, it was preventing a full HP Superdome 64 to be decommissioned, as it was on one of this guy's partition, the app was running. It could easily have fitted on one SD CPU + 5 GB.

I think for 2 years, this SD ran this thing alone, before another app was created.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

no

That would be COBOL.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One size fits all

The problem with general office product training is that it is often a "one size fits all". So you sit in a classroom being told to press this key and that key like a bunch of robots. It turns out that was how the lecturer was trained too. The idea that they perhaps should understand the concepts too is met with a blank look and "I'm not technical".

Then the whole thing gets held up because someone can't find the key marked "any".

1. G.Y.

Re: One size fits all

In Russia, they write "ANY" (in Latin characters) on the space-bar

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: One size fits all

You ain't joking.

9. Teiwaz

Just Soft Skills

I've worked for large corporate IT Service Companies in the past...

They tend to be generous when it comes to soft skills training, but fairly random when it comes to technical training in my experience.

When they do, it's either a year before you get to revisit the platform (by which time you've forgotten everything and can't find the nice manuals you got given) or its a platform they don't use, had not intention of using and is more obscure than 70's cult Tv to todays twenty somethings.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Catch-22

The best training courses are the ones you go one after you've scrabbled about with the product yourself for a while. Assuming you then have a lecturer who knows the product inside out - then your mind does not get clogged up after the first couple of days. Better still you really appreciate what the lecturer is distilling from their experience on the finer points.

The lecturer also has to command respect - so that when they want to halt a particular line of increasingly esoteric questions then the class complies happily.

Most importantly you then need to put the training to practical use as soon as possible afterwards.

The problem with many training courses is that people are sent on them totally cold - and they don't get to use the knowledge in anger for a long time afterwards.

In my experience a lot of the pre-emptive training was in the wrong things. When new knowledge was suddenly a pressing need - it was often a case of "here's one I made earlier" - in my own time, at my own expense - purely out of technical curiosity.

1. Doctor Evil

Re: Catch-22

And -- occasionally -- the very best training courses are given by the individual who actually developed the software ... PROVIDED that s/he is also fairly knowledgeable, perhaps even expert, in the underlying technologies and is capable of cobbling a coherent sentence together and presenting him/herself at least somewhat personably in front of an audience. That's a rare confluence of circumstances, but it does happen. Occasionally.

11. Nolveys
    Happy

Writing Documentation

Writing documentation is difficult and boring. The best way to go about it is to search the internet for a similar (but better) system and then to google translate the manual from English to English via Russian and Chinese. Then do quick skim and replace certain terms in order to make it seem that the documentation actually pertains to the in-house system. Pictures should be deleted, pixelated or replaced with random screenshots. The last step is to change the name of the author to the last person who was fired or quit.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Writing Documentation

I hope this wasn't copied and pasted from the Wiley style guide.

12. Mark 85

Ah... training... oh happy, happy, joy, joy.

Around here, the troops on the floor go into a training room where an instructor versed in the software spends several days with them with actual hands on training along with some docs and cheat sheets.

For the support troops... we get a video conference for a couple of hours of watching some idiot move his mouse around the screen going: "click here", "do this"... We end up wondering what the purpose of this software is and what it really does.

The end result, the users know how more about the damn software than the support team. Bah....

13. Barry Rueger

Oh why this hatred for records?

Agree on bad training regimes, but this:

As a result, learning how to use one of the most important software systems at the company has become an oral tradition passed from one hapless employee to the next. When a casual shift worker turns up for the first time, he must approach the Tent Cubicle of the CMS Elders and sit around a campfire to hear a wizened office Gandalf recite obscure GREP expressions from cultural memory.

... perfectly describes our residential strata Council's approach to recordkeeping.

Meeting minutes? Records of votes by Council? Records of how a $30,000 purchase was initiated and approved? Records of near lawsuits averted at the last possible second? Reports on engineering studies indicating repairs needed in the hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Those that exist are so obscure and hard to access that they are of no use in tracking anything.

Instead we rely on a long, arbitrary, contradictory and (I suspect) made up on the spot list of rules that all must follow but which exist only in the minds of the person speaking them.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying: when you see bad documentation and a lack of training you need to first ask, "Who benefits from this?"

Because someone always does, and if you can identify them you can find a solution.

14. Sureo

I used to work for a large company that was glad to bring teacher-contractors in-house to teach courses we needed. The only trouble was they would insist that a 5 day course be presented in 3 days, and a 10 day course in 5 days. At the end of the course our heads were spinning, but the bean counters were happy.

15. sandman

Training?

As someone who has the dubious pleasure of producing some of our software company's training materials I was of course delighted when a "senior" product person said the following. "We don't need to bother with training, our software is so intuitive that anyone can understand it".

Strangely our customers (and internal staff) beg to differ. ;-)

16. Mr Dogshit

The best thing about training

is living in a hotel for a week and eating food on expenses.

The so called training I could do without.

Monday - start 10am. Instructor does the "ice breaker" and tells you where the fire exits are, by which time it's time for lunch. Bugger off at 4pm.

Tuesday to Thursday inclusive - turn up late, watch lowest common denominator PowerPoint, bugger off early.

Friday - half day.

I'd rather they give me a week's paid leave so I can sit in a conference room with a book, I'm sure that's better value for money.

17. Stevey

This may have the unfortunate side-effect of immortalising the Dabbsy name

there once was an old man called Dabbs

Who's pubes were infested with crabs

his de-lousing attempts were all met with strife,

until half life wife decided the answer was a knife

18. Tim99 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Trainers

A long time ago, I was put in charge of computing in our large research group and charged with running Novell 2.0a training courses for some of our scientists, engineers, and support staff. We employed an external trainer to teach the courses. The first one lasted 4 days and it was all going well, I thought, until near the end of the second day when at the request of the trainer I brought in a 40cm long boxed set of the Novell documentation. I expected protests from the trainees that they could not be expected to read all of this; but after me spending a few minutes showing them the main index all seemed well.

At the end of the afternoon, just I was congratulating myself as to how well it was going, I was approached by the trainer who asked me if he could borrow the manuals. "Sure" I said, "Didn't you bring your own?". His (paraphrased) reply taught me a valuable lesson: "Oh, the company does not allow it's trainers to have access to the manuals. If they did we would read them, learn the subject, and get a better job actually using it. We only have access to the company's own training materials that I have here to teach the course". I told him that I had spent a few hours reading the Novell documents and had successfully installed the several networks that we were using for the courses, and he said that he had never actually used Netware except to log in and run the course materials. Hopefully this was an exception...

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Trainers

An exception? Nope.

Although to be fair, I have run into one or two trainers who actually knew the system they were teaching, inside and out, along with a multitude of other systems. I was shocked and impressed, to say the least.

19. ecofeco Silver badge

The users groan?

I'm lucky if I get my IT team to freshen up, let alone the users.

BTW, LOVE the Blade Runner clip!!!! 2 thumbs up.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am the only person in the (small) company versed in a key piece of software. 13 years of using it and occasionally tweaking it are my only credentials.

If anything did happen to me, the others could get by for a bit until a change is required, and worse case any database expert brought in could do it.

Now I suppose I need to add to the documentation. Bugger.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In my experience documentation has several problems.

Number one is expressed by the ubiquitous use of "RTFM". This suggests that often it doesn't get read - no matter how good.

If written by the developer it might assume there is only their way of doing something - so it doesn't need further explanation. If written by a technical author they don't always convey the subtlety of the developers' meaning of words - at worst they don't grasp the importance.***

Lastly - documentation gets out of date. The more precise its starts out to be - the more likely it will be wrong, or contradictory, in a particular detail later.

When I was a junior on a new operating system there were weekly updates to the bookcase of comprehensive thick manuals. Usually there were sheets of instructions to alter just a word here and there with a pen - possibly there might be a replacement page or two. As the manuals were not important to our role we just added the updates to a pile. Every few months they would re-issue a whole manual's updated content - so we could then put that in the old ring binder in one easy action.

***the local council's plastic recycling notice says "remove bottle tops". What is unclear is whether they mean "discard" as non-recyclable - or merely "separate" for reasons of sorting.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Definition of " Expert" in any subject...

...someone who has learned from making all the mistakes.

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: Definition of " Expert" in any subject...

No, that's the definition of "Experienced".

The definition of "Expert" is someone who has learned from watching other people making all the mistakes.

23. Paul Shirley

Imaginary manuals

Just a few days since I opined that "I must get round to reading the imaginary manuals" to my lead...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RTFM

I've spent many years training my team to use the latest bits of kit that get foisted onto us, usually with little or no training for any of us, even me.

Almost all the training I have ever been on has been too short, too hurried, too poorly structured to unerstand what to do after I've got back to the office and without any follow up after I've tried to use the stuff.

Where possible I spend time experimenting at the "What happens if I do this" level, which at least means that I get to understand what's going on.

What I seldom succeed at is using "TFM". Because I've yet to find one that worked in a logical way for the user.

All too frequently they begin with apparently simple stuff that actually makes no sense at all until you know what is in chapter 43. The writer obviously thought that chapter one was simple, but then he did know all about that stuff in chapter 43.

I don't think I've ever had a "FM" that starts off by saying what the software/device is trying to do and how it will do it. Which is fine if you were the person who went out to get the kit, for a job you know needs to be done. But of no use at all when you are one of the Poor Bloody Infantry who is given this stuff and told that we all have to use it now. So you are left pressing buttons and entering data with absolutely no idea why you have to put that bit of data there, why you can't put this data here, and so on.

At the end, if you wade through the first few chapters you will have an idea how to do the example task - but that will have had absolutely no resemblence to the work that you actually do.

The alternative scenario is the one where the training pack tells you how to do the blindingly obvious stuff. But as soon as you stray from that path to try to do what you actually need to do there is nothing.

Example, an enormous hi-tech networked printer/copier/fax machine with clear instructions how to create new user accounts, which corresponded to the interface saying "accounts" followed by- "New".

But then absolutely no guidance how to change the users' passwords from the default, create individual mailboxes to store documents for printing later etc. None of which appear in any of the menus or the index of the manual i.e. all the advanced stuff that the printer had apparently been chosen for.

25. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Like a mechanic without a driver's license...

There are many apps where I work that I know how to fix when they break... but don't ask me to coherently use them, as the only training I've had on them is poking around with them trying to either get them to break or to ensure that I've actually fixed them. Sometimes the user has to be present to perform whatever procedure made it misbehave, as I have no idea how to use the application. This is common.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Like a mechanic without a driver's license...

We have a certain vendor supplied application. It's a complex and critical piece of software that is part of a set of tools used to do business.

The end users do not have access to the vendor supplied user documentation. The team supporting the application act as gate keepers for this document. New users either learn on the job from other users or are given a quick introduction by this support team. If there is a query from a user, and the information is not in the documentation, then one of the support team call or raise a ticket with the vendor and in turn get back to the end user.

I have seen the documentation, and it is quite good. The users would be able to perform their jobs better/use the software to it's fullest extent and capabilities if they had access to this - In the eyes of the support team manager, that would mean he would be out of a job.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free training

If nothing else, I tell them, you can pick up a load of free training before ditching this joint and finding better paid employment elsewhere.

This is exactly what came to my mind last week!

27. OzBob

The problems with training in new technology

is that it's an inter-company game of "chicken". Witness SAP in the 90s and the interminable training course structure. If one or two companies / government agencies paid for all their staff to get trained, they would invariably get "poached" by other companies / agencies and the benefit of that training would be lost. So the company / agency goes into the foetal position on training and no-one gets any more, ever again.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anon for obvious reasons ...

We have to use some dire bits of software, which are universally hated by all staff - except the complete and utter ${expletive} who wrote it and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. There are off the shelf ticketing systems that work, yet we persist with this pile of manure.

Actually that's not quite fair (describing "it" as "a" pile of manure), rather than fix issues in said pile of manure, what usually happens is that a new one it written - equally manure, but different. Only it doesn't quite do what the old system does - so now we have two broken systems to work with.

Rinse and repeat.

To give some idea on the quality of documentation, an ex employee suggested I keep in hand the retort "I'll document my systems when you show me the user manual for ${system}" for next time the ${expletive} has a go at me. Yes, there is no manual whatsoever, no crib sheets, absolutely nothing. Yes the same ${expletive} feels free to have a go at others for not documenting stuff - it's great being able to turn round and say "so you didn't read my documentation stored on ${other crap system we have}" then. Actually ${expletive} isn't the worst - only the second worst after the boss.

29. JustNiz

The single biggest complaint I have about many even popular/mature open source projects (and the one that always instantly puts me off using them) is that you go to the official website and find it completely assumes you've already been using it for years. All there is is some cryptic change list and literally no information about how to start using it or even what it does.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon