back to article Quantum CPU upstart D-Wave drills into physics simulations to boost vital magnetic shielding

Physics upstart D-Wave has shed some light on its work simulating quantum computer processors to improve their performance and capabilities. Canada-based D-Wave builds chips made up of 512 superconducting semiconductor circuits called qubits, which are run at ultra-high frequencies in absolute-zero temperatures with minimal …

1. ZSn

millikelvin not absolute zero

Ahem old physicist warning. They are in the millikelvin range not absolute zero -they can't break the laws of thermodynamics. The dilution refrigerator they using can get down to single figure millikelvin. however to get lower they would need to use an adiabatic demagnetisation stage that can't be run continuously.

1. ZSn

Re: millikelvin not absolute zero

Also, I forgot to add that adiabatic demagnetisation also requires some large magnetic fields - so millikelvin it is for them. Also D wave have also not proved that it is in fact quantum in any shape or form...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

You might add that that "qbits" are not superconducting thingamabos (in the same way that bits are not capacitors) and the science is not particularly mind-boggling to anyone who know vectors and complex numbers. It does, however, lead to heavy breathing regarding the implications.

2. Calimero

Tt sounds so absolutely great to use the word ABSOLUTE zero - think of The Factory for the Absolute. They did not prove it is quantum but did prove what good advertisement can do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

I can see why "30,000 times colder" would be sexier than "About 293K below room temperature". And the best part is that it's totally correct!

1. illiad

so WHAT is 'room temperature' ??? and why are you messing around with such vague numbers???

Absolute zero (0.00000K) is −273.15°C, −459.67°F...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I wasn't aware that room temperature involved any numbers, vague or otherwise. I believe it has to do with comfort, and there's nothing vague about MY comfort.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

Room temperature is a defined standard and, depending on which lab you are working in, can be 20C or 25C. When I was at school 25C was used, at university 20C was used. TBH I preferred the school labs because I didn't need to wear a jumper! Homebrewing hydrometers are calibrated to a defined temperature, some are 20C and others 25C.

2. Sureo

30,000 times colder than room temperature

Sounds like a typical Canadian winter. We measure temperature in millikelvins here (makes it seem warmer than it really is). No wonder D-Wave is located here.

3. Ryan Kendall

1 Kelvin does not equal 1000

Where on earth do they pluck these numbers from.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like