back to article ZuckerBorg assimilates Microsoft boffins into potentially world-threatening FART

The ZuckerBorg has assimilated yet more humans from academia and industry into its Facebook Artificial-Intelligence Research Team (FART). Facebook claims their work will focus on several aspects of machine learning, with applications to image, speech and natural language understanding. The free global ad platform announced …

1. james 68
    Coat

Easier than he thinks.

"...Leon Bottou, whose long-term goal "is to understand how to build human-level intelligence""

Perhaps he has led a sheltered life but pretty much the rest of humanity already has a handle on this one. It's called 'sex' and when a man and a woman love each other very much......

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: Easier than he thinks.

My Daddy told me it was all to do with warm bus seats.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Easier than he thinks.

"Building" does not mean "fucking around".

Except if your team is too agile.

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
    Coat

Evil existential threat or waste of money?

Depends which way the wind blows...

3. User McUser
    Terminator

Sounds ghastly

Somehow the robot apocalypse will be all that much worse if the robots are all *Facebook* robots.

"Your friend has posted another kitten picture - click the 'Like' button. You have 20 seconds to comply..."

1. Mark 85

Re: Sounds ghastly

Need to add: "... and click on the ad for Kitty Litter to send a bag to your friend. We've already charged your debit card."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Human-level intelligence?

That sounds great, maybe they can apply their technology to the average Facebook user!

Of course, if they were to make their users intelligent, then they would stop being free content generators and would go out and get a life. That would be bad for the bottom line, so I'm not sure they've really thought this through all the way.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI users?

OK, I know the growth of Facebook has stagnated, but to use AIs to prop it up smacks of desperation.

On the plus side, maybe AIs will refrain from causing global devastation if they doesn't get enough likes.

SkyNet just started spying. NSA, GCHQ and BND like this.

6. SoaG

MS guy that works in AI?

Good lord! They're making Clippy robots!

7. MatsSvensson

"Have you noticed how lately ALL humans are starting to look like a threat; not just the ones on the other side?"

178994,4533556,543355 likes (in the last microsecond)

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

The Internet of voting things?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess it is natural to over estimate the computational power of the human brain. Doing so leads one to increasingly desperate escalations in the mathematics and hardware used. My view is that a current PC is sufficently powerful to do something like human level AI, the main contraint being the amount of SDRAM available. There are arguments about the 100 billion neurons in the human brain by 1000 dendries making an astronomical computing device. I don't buy it. Likely those 1000 dendrites are used for an inefficient form of random projection. The neurons are likely connected in groups that switch between discrete states (another inefficiency). I doubt the whole thing amounts to more than 100 Gigabytes of in-memory computing. It would also be easier to evolve a system that involved memory look-up using random projects than almost anything else. That would be much simpler to evolve than even a straight forward look up table (LUT) as used on a digital computer.

There hasn't been enough time for evolution to find anything too involved with regard to intelligence in the higher animals. 4 million years by a population of less than a million for most of that time.

I think the problem (if you really want to solve it, and you may not want to) is best handed over to some clearheaded engineers who have not been contaminated too much by the AI research literature. Anyway Facebook, Google and the others are just buying up alchemists and voodoo guys at the moment, which you can say is good news.

9. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"has brought comment from many respected figures"

Quite a bit less respected immediately after the issuance of their comments which is out there with tofu attcking us in the morning because "it wants to be free".

Anyone who thinks "AI" will appear on the risk matrix of the non-tinfoil-hatters in any foreseeable future needs to get out more.

Why, just this morning: Ex-U.S., Russian brass: 'De-alert' nukes or risk disaster

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"FART"? really?

I understand that it is supposed to mean AI research team, but "FART"? really?

you just cannot take them seriously if the acronym is "FART", I'm sorry but it's not possible to take them seriously

Happy weekend

- cap44

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: "FART"? really?

Ok then, RAFT: "Research on AI by the Facebook Team"

Not good? FRAINKEN: "Facebook Researches AI for New Knowledge Enabling Networks"

How about TOFULAIR: "Team Of Facebook UnLimited AI Research"

The true marketronym is of course "FAIR": Facebook AI Research. This IS El Reg, after all.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Pint

Re: "FART"? really?

Nah, they are all just a bunch of boring old FARTS.

Time for a pint or two.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thought Zuckerberg should have been happy...

... of having made so much money just on Natural Stupidity.

But probably now he needs machines to herd his sheep and extract even more money.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Risks of using Ai to make decisions humans should be making....

* Recently the wife got her credit hit by a fraudulent 10k charge. Three credit cards were issued in her name at a bank that she had no pre-existing relationship with, and therefore no salary or other collateral at.

* Turned out the bank used an automated system to offer pre-approved credit cards to fraudsters. This is great example of automated-system-failure. On the flip side, I can already see examples of couples being denied credit by blunt decision making systems.

* Using AI makes life easy for corporations, but what happens when that same automated system is used to deny or allow health insurance payments for urgently needed drugs or surgery? I see that as a real danger long before any AI mass-killing machines...

13. phil dude
    IT Angle

automation....

The real problem that is hidden behind AI is the fact of leaving *any* software running for automated purposes.

It doesn't matter if you call it AI, it is still software, and will have bugs in.

Hence, it makes sure that system *design* should be paramount, to essentially account for the possibility of software screwing up.

An of course, although it guarantees little, any software that could cause physical harm, should be open to inspection.

Go and see age of ultron, looked very good in 3D ;-)

P.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like