back to article Geneva boffins make light work of random numbers

“How good is your random number generator?” is a pretty ticklish question in cryptography that a bunch of Swiss quantum bods have set out to answer. The history of crypto is littered with examples of buggy random number generators, so the group at the University of Geneva have set out to create a self-testing quantum RNG that …

1. Adam 1

problem though

Once you perform the test the steam ceases to be random.

2. emmanuel goldstein

One cool use was by Max Tegmark and Anthony Aguire. They co-authored a paper, couldn't agree which of them should have their name listed first, so used a quantum random number generator to decide. In this universe Aguire is listed first but, in 50% of the level I and level III multiverses, Tegmark is listed first. Nice.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"...multiverses..."

I'm not sure if endlessly spawning an infinite number of parallel Universes (sic) adheres to the principle of 'Conservation of Mass' (even if we allow E=mc^2).

1. ravenviz Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: "...multiverses..."

Rather requires c being constant everywhere.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

I'd have just flipped a coin, but then I'm not a cryptoboffin.

1. emmanuel goldstein

it's absolutely essential to base the decision on a quantum event, not a macro event like a coin flip. it's the superposition of the two outcomes that effectively spreads the 50:50 mix of outcomes throughout the multiverse.

3. Spaceman Spiff

Nice for theoretical work, but how many of us could afford such gear? Can you embed it in a laptop computer, or tablet? Probably not, at least yet. At this point, one of the better approaches in a practical sense is a lagged-Fibonacci RNG (see http://www.phy.ornl.gov/csep/CSEP/RN/NODE20.html#SECTION00070000000000000000 for details).

4. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Hmmm.

Not.

A.

Word.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like