back to article Android gaming platform Ouya is down to its last life

The low-cost Android gaming startup Ouya is on the brink of collapse and wants a buyer, fast. According to Fortune, the company tripped a debt covenant and hopes for expressions of interest by the end of April. Originally kick-started to the tune of US$8.6 million, the company caused buzz with its play-your-Android-games-on- …

1. Thorne

The Key

Is to control the store and get the cost to the point when it can be built into a TV set at virtually no cost.

For starters you don't ship controllers but use an app to turn phones into controllers. You can sell controllers but as an extra.

If you can get them built into devices then more people will use the store and more money made.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: The Key

Touch screen phones make terrible games controllers.

2. Craigness

Re: The Key

"control the store" is spot on! But they had very little chance of doing that when they were up against Google's store offering users the ability to start a game on a phone or tablet and complete it on their console (and only buy the game once). When I first heard of this Android console my first thought was "that's a good idea, I'll wait until there is an Android console which supports Google Play and the games I already own". They thought the "Android" word would attract customers, but customers want "Ecosystem".

2. RyokuMas
    Unhappy

Pity...

I remember being pretty excited by this when it landed: it was about the time XNA devs were being mucked around as to the future of their platform, and the idea of an inexpensive, easily accessible console was very appealing.

3. Ben Rosenthal

Shhh, just close your eyes and don't struggle, it's better this way.

4. auburnman

I think the OUYA team's biggest failing was to assume they had a long term future based on the hunger for the console. They thought the OUYA delivery was the beginning of a brand new ecosystem with a loyal following. The backers however saw it largely as the END of an arrangement, namely delivery of a product they paid for (months ago.)

The OUYA was bought by curious people and tinkerers who wanted to put XBMC or emulators on it for playing old games in the living room. Gamers continued to get their new content on Steam or Playstation as usual. The delayed delivery, PR blunders and lacklustre performance at launch were also nails in the coffin.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It is the usual story of app delivery

If you are building a platform for which somebody else owns the app and content delivery (Google in this case) you might as well switch to digging your own 7x2x6 feet hole in the ground. Their only chance was to sell themselves day one to Google, Amazon or one of the TV players which has content aspirations and no console and that chance did not come along.

5. JustNiz

Seems like they were off to a bad start because

a) The demographic for this thing are geeks; the same people that already have a phone or tablet they could equally use to play the same games well enough already.

b) When it comes down to it, most android games are relatively basic and crap compared to console and PC games. If you're into gaming enough to buy something to plug into your tv, chances are a PS4 or XBone are much higher on your list.

6. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

I have one.

I turned it on.

It asked for a credit card number that would be stored on the device and would not let me proceed without it.

I turned it off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like