back to article NASA spies weird glow from Pluto's FRIGID pole

NASA's New Horizons space probe has beamed back photos that seem to show that dwarf planet Pluto has a strange effulgent spot on its pole. Pluto's icy pole The pole shows up as a bright spot on the right of the image The spacecraft is more than 60 million miles away from the tiny world. New images released by NASA at a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

all

my words are second hand and useless in the face of this

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazing

.. what you can tell from an image 11 pixels wide :D

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazing

"an image 11 pixels wide"

Back in the old 'dial up' days, quite a lot of pron that was that resolution.

1. stucs201

11 pixels? Luxury! We used to dream of actual pixels and had to make do with ASCII art.

1. Tom 13

ASCII art? Luxury I tell you. Why when I was a lad we had to crush fruits and berries and use walnut shells to make paints so we could draw our own pron on cave walls.

2. Little Mouse

"The images show the surface clearly has geological formation on the surface that may be volcanic or chemically produced"

Blimey - the author clearly has a better pair of eyes than I do!

3. Ian K
      Facepalm

11 pixels wide? Apply the image enhancement algorithms from CSI and you'll easily get a full 4k image out of that.

Press the "enhance" button a second time and you should be able to get it in 3D too.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

"the size of Texas"

Surely since it is a well-known fact that everything is bigger in Texas, the actual size of Texas is larger than the size of Texas?

Now my head hurts.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: "the size of Texas"

In Texas, Texas is the whole world!

1. Mark 85

Re: "the size of Texas"

That explains the patent cases being tried there then.

4. MacroRodent

Bps

We won't get them back for two weeks due to the distances involved and the 1Kbps bandwidth for data transmission.

Bah, that is still faster than my first dial-up modem that ran at 300 bps. I managed to edit with Emacs through it, although some patience was needed, and an optimized /etc/termcap.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bps

I now have a vision in my head of a giant acoustic coupler floating through space.

thanks.

2. Mpeler
      Holmes

Re: Bps

Ahhh, you young whippersnapper....

In my day we used to be able to count the bits going by.....

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: "The US has been the first to flyby every planet of the Solar System"

Same for Mars:

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraftDisplay.do?id=1962-061A

Don't you love people rewriting history in the name of Public Relations...

2. Blitheringeejit
      Headmaster

They didn't say they were the first to fly by each individual planet, just that they were the first to fly by *all* of them. This is true - if slightly confusing when stated in the context of a Pluto fly-by: one could wish that they would make up their minds.

3. Dr Who

I hope Symon and Voland aren't programmers. Their grasp of syntax is clearly somewhat lacking.

4. dorsetknob
      Paris Hilton

A Definite case of premature ejaculating comments here

" The spacecraft is still more than 60 million miles away from the dwarf planet"

NOT GOT THERE YET

"The US has been the first to flyby every planet of the Solar System "

You got to go past it before you can claim to have a fly by

Some Fly by

John Grunsfeld Your Wife must be Pissed off if your this prematurely ejaculating comments in the Bedroom as well

Paris because Probably she has seen so much prematurely ejaculating com..............

5. Yag

The major issue is more of a semantic one...

Either only "planets" count, in which case this sentence is true since the demotion of Pluto, or the dwarfs planets count as well, in which case Eris, Makemake and a few others are still waiting for their flyby..

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

72 PLANETS AWAIT YOU, AMURRICA!

FLYBY THEM ALL!

2. Laurel Kornfeld

Stern and many planetary scientists do not accept the demotion of Pluto, which was done by only four percent of the IAU, most of whom are not planetary scientists, and which was rejected by an equal number of professional astronomers. Ironically, Stern is the person who first coined the term "dwarf planet" but he did so with the intention of designating a third class of planets in addition to terrestrials and jovians and not to refer to non-planets.

6. Kaltern
    Joke

"1Kbps bandwidth for data transmission."

So BT Openreach have been maintaining the connection. Maybe they should try rebooting the onboard transmitter...

7. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Can El Reg please refer to Pluto by its correct name: Yuggoth.

1. K
      Facepalm

Yuggoth a problem with Pluto?

Sorry, my speech impediment play up again!

2. Kristaps
      Coat

Did you R'lyeh just say that?

1. K

Sir, that is a +1 and a hat tip!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

binary system

"technically it's a binary system since the mass of Charon (described as "the size of Texas" by Stern) is large enough to perturb the Plutonian orbit significantly"...

"binary system" isn't well defined, especially for planets. If perturbation of orbit is the deciding factor then earth-moon is also a binary planet system (unless someone defines "significantly" arbitrarily to include pluto but not earth) . If we take the barycentre as a defintion then we get a problem with Jupiter (The Sun-Jupiter barycentre lies outside the sun, so Sun-Jupiter would be a star-planet binary system)

9. Denarius
    Coat

impressive effort

hardware that lasted that long and still works in a hostile environment, comms that reach halfway across solar system and reasonable hope that it go further. Beats my last 2 DVD players for reliability. Despite the carping at who went past all planets first, the yanks must be bream full of hope for great science data despite the distance scale. My coats the one with the Complete Tangler in pocket

1. Yag

Re: impressive effort

Same can be said for Opportunity,the little rover that could.

Or the crazy awesome Voyager probes, leaving the solar system every couple of monthes.

2. The last doughnut

Re: impressive effort

I hope they spent rather more on it than you did

10. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"OH MY GOD !! ...

...IT'S FULL OF STARS !!"

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: "OH MY GOD !! ...

ALL THESE WORLDS

ARE YOURS EXCEPT

EUROPA

ATTEMPT NO

LANDING THERE

1. Fink-Nottle

Re: "OH MY GOD !! ...

> ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA

> ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

You are Nigel Farrage and I claim my five pounds!

11. Sureo

"...who knows what we'll find?"

Well said. Words to launch 1000 space probes.

12. ilmari

I bet if Pluto hadn't been demoted to backwater dwarfplanet they'd be able to get proper broadband.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The moon of Endor demands service first!

13. BanjoPaterson
    Devil

The Moon of F124

That bright patch is where the Ptavv, Kzanol, jettisoned his ship.

14. Tom 13

Re: To the naked eye, the dwarf planet appears reddish

Since when?

Pluto has a magnitude that ranges between 16.5 and 13.65. Most people can see down to a magnitude 5 while some can see a 6 or maybe a 7. Which means at it's brightest, Pluto is still 6 factors dimmer that the best naked eye can see.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like