back to article Google polishes Chrome security with Password Alert

Google's seen way too much phishing, it seems, so the Chocolate Factory has pushed out a Chrome extension to catch attacks against accounts on Google domains. Mountain View reckons two per cent of Gmail messages are phishing attempts, and a well-constructed attack can have a 47 per cent success rate. Outlined here, the …

1. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

What is the real motto of the google?

The up-to-date google motto obviously can't be anything about stopping or resisting EVIL. Here's a few sordid real-world-of-today candidates:

(1) Live and let spam!

(2) All your attentions is belonging to US.

Here's a few optimistic candidates that today's google can NOT even consider:

(3) Do not support EVIL.

(4) Share public information with the world and protect private information.

Constructive suggestion time (AKA waste of keystrokes). Most people are good (IMHO), so give us tools to do good things. The google is too lazy or incompetent or EVIL to bother the criminals, but I'd be willing to donate some of my time to help out, and I bet that most people feel similarly--if only the tools existed. Clicking on a "Spam" button is NOT sufficient. Spammers obviously can live with so-called filters, but not with defeated scam models (which is why you don't see pump-and-dump spam now).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What is the real motto of the google?

Was there something you had to share that is actually related to the article, or did you just copy and paste a standard rant?

The article is about an anti-phishing tool.

2. JP19

"Google promises that it won't ever share the password"

Wonder what the NSA has to say about that?

"and, after all, storing it locally means there's no need for the extension to phone home"

Except to sync to other devices and on android you are expected to backup everything unencrypted to Google anyway.

I expect Google has passwords for half the WiFi access points in the world and knows exactly where they all are.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: "Google promises that it won't ever share the password"

Half? I'd be surprised if it wasn't more like 90% - you only need one android device to connect.

Same for Apple (although lower penetration in some markets may have an effect)

1. JP19

Re: "Google promises that it won't ever share the password"

"Half? I'd be surprised if it wasn't more like 90%"

Well I assumed that if you don't choose the option to 'Back up my data" then android and google apps won't steal your WiFi passwords regardless.

It would be interesting to know what proportion of users do have that option checked and so give every bit of information on their androids to google (and the NSA).

3. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Old School vs New School

Old School: Don't steal: the government hates competition.

New School: Don't phish: Google hates competition.

4. Mr Templedene

So anyone who uses the same password for google as they do for other sites will see this pop up and warn them?

I'm OK with that.

5. taxman

Black pots and kettles

What WOULD be of use to the world would be if Google stopped allowing it's mailing system be used by phishers in the first place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like