back to article France wants to make les citoyens' health data available to world+dog

Plans to centralise the storage of health data in France are being considered by the French parliament. Draft legislation, which would see a new single national health database created, was backed by the National Assembly earlier this month and is now being considered by the Senate. Under the proposals, five sets of data …

1. Graham Marsden
    Megaphone

Well...

... at least the French people have a *chance* of possibly stopping their data simply being flogged off to the rich mates of their Government.

Of course whether it *stays* that way...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: flogged off...

I read that as 'frogged off'...

2. Vimes

Re: Well...

Of course whether it *stays* that way...

Unlikely IMO.

In many respects the CNIL seem to be as useless as the ICO we have here.

I complained to them about personal details handed to the consulate being handed to commercial organisations with neither my knowledge nor consent and I have yet to hear back from them. At all. In any shape or form.

God forbid I ever actually get a reply, let alone actual action.

Good luck to anybody that actually expects them to provide any real protection in the anonymisation (which can never truly be anonymous if it deals with individuals)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Well...

> In many respects the CNIL seem to be as useless as the ICO

Not quite. They have been quite responsive in my experience. Maybe you had a communications breakdown somewhere along the way? (More importantly: did you address them in French and via the proper channels?)

2. Trollslayer

Let's sort basics

You know, like surgeons having the patients notes before rolling them into surgery.

Yes, I have had this happen to me.

3. alain williams Silver badge

Let the first records to be released

to include those of the French president and all members of the national assembly.

What do you mean ... some should be excluded ... why ... is it not really safe then ?

4. TRT Silver badge

I was a little upset the other day...

I got a spam email from some company saying I could get an osteopath appointment within 8 hours if I signed up to this website etc etc... don't put up with painful backache etc etc... strike while the iron is hot (or rather at the first twinge)...

And I thought it was just coincidence that the only thing I've ever received NHS treatment for is a bad back. I though it was just an osteopath company's spam.

But it wasn't. Oh no. I saw a poster later on that day. Same company, offering appointments for just about anything health related.

So how come I got a message tailored to back backs? I've never searched for an osteopath online. I've never searched "bad backs" on NHS direct or Google or anything...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I was a little upset the other day...

"So how come I got a message tailored to back backs? "

Perhaps because (according to NHS numbers) around 45% of the adult population suffer from back pain in any one year, and the best and most accurate marketing approach would be to spam every email they realistically can. There's very few targeted marketing campaigns that might hope to see half their spam reach a potentially interested customer.

Not defending the crime of spam, just sayin.......

1. TRT Silver badge

Mmmyah... OK. I'll buy that explanation and send back the tinfoil hats.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But first you might like to read:

https://medconfidential.org/2015/marketing2u-was-your-health-information-sold-to-direct-marketers-by-pharmacy2u/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a challenge

With private health care providers having a difficult time securing personal info., you can imagine how the incompetent's in gov'ment will do.

6. earl grey
    Trollface

someone has to say it

What could possibly go wrong?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Already being done in the UK

Notably, by the CAA. They of course "blame it" on EASA.

Which is why I changed my licence to another (EASA) country.

Monetising patient records, especially when you've got a captive audience, is beyond evil.

8. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The battle is lost before it begins

Anonymised files will be made available for anyone to access under the plans.

There's no such thing. "Anonymization" is an arms race, and it's consistently being lost to de-anonymization techniques for any non-trivial data shortly after release.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like