back to article Calamity cargo capsule DOOMED: Space station pod in fireball re-entry

Roscosmos has written off the Progress supply capsule that was supposed to deliver tons of cargo to the International Space Station. The Russian space agency said the out-of-control craft will burn up within days as it falls back to Earth. Youtube Video Igor Komarov, head of Roscosmos, told a press conference on Wednesday …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought it might be safely landed in a location that will cause no harm to anyone.

Ukraine perhaps.

Turns out it's aimed for Washington instead.

1. Kaltern

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

1. Captain DaFt

"Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

Sorry, no go. Politicians are too much like cockroaches, they'd survive.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Cockroaches

have been shown to NOT be able to survive armageddon. They are not as hardy as the myths would have us believe.

Certain bacteria can survive 1000's of time the dose it would take to kill humans.

Cockroaches, not so much.....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Cockroaches - what doesn't kill you

Yes, but the ones that do survive...

2. Mark 85

Washington...? No harm there. The Congress and lobbyists will all fly out ahead of time. Then raise taxes to build a "bigger and better government"... Nice thought, though.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

satellite tracker

Maybe it's just me, but when I see the data from a satellite tracker page, I can only read it about half way before I picture an MP's voice. "The Right Honorouble Ascention..."

No, now I'm pretty certain it's just me...

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
      Coat

Re: satellite tracker

If you ask me to picture that...

...I'll just have to give you a declination.

3. C 2
    Facepalm

The Ruskies are 'innovating'.

Tis the NEW version of Russian Roulette, for the 21st century!

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Paul Woodhouse

Re: Re. The Ruskies are 'innovating'.

heh, 10:58 on the 7th of May would indeed seem to be a good time to watch the news if Narrative Causality is to be believed at all...

5. Pen-y-gors

Hang on...

I thought that the problem was that they couldn't communicate with the capsule, so couldn't send it any commands. So...how does that explain "Russian engineers are trying to aim the Progress cargo pod so that any fragments of the spacecraft that don’t burn up will fall over water,"

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: Hang on...

Good point. Perhaps they mean that they'll continue to try to re-establish contact, but instead of trying to save it in the event of successful communication (as they had been), they'll instead try to manage the crash trajectory (hydrobraking, not lithobraking?)

1. ilmari

Lithobraking is my new favourite word. I've been doing it alot since Kerbal Spaceprogram 1.0 was released.

2. DropBear
      Joke

Da, we not control Progress, komrade. We target, we turn Earth under it...!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for the Chinese to step up

and demonstrate the capability of their anti-satellite missile.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Time for the Chinese to step up

Great. So instead of one trackable piece flying at 16000mph on a known trajectory that will burn up in about 10 days, there will be thousands of smaller, mostly untrackable pieces flying at 16000mph on unknown trajectories that may stay up there for years.

Nice plan.

7. AbelSoul
    Mushroom

It'll all be OK...

... as long as everyone remembers to Duck & Cover!

8. FrogsAndChips Silver badge
    WTF?

Gaining altitude?

According to http://www.n2yo.com/?s=40619, the satellite is currently gaining altitude. It was below 120 miles high and is now above 140 (@12.38 UTC).

Any explanation for this?

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Gaining altitude?

"Dark Energy"

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

If you throw something in the air, it continues to rise after it leaves your hand.

Unless you throw it REALLY hard, though, it'll come back down.

3. Ben Bonsall

IT's in an elliptical orbit, right now the apogee is over the south pacific, perigee over the uk

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Of course!

Thanks.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous John

Apparently the third stage engine fired for longer than it should. Which raises the possibility that it hit the capsule after separation.

The third stage telemetry is also reported to have ceased at about the same time.

10. Little Mouse
    Unhappy

But what's in the cargo?

Deadly orchid-nerve-gas-poison, Moonraker-style?

Triffid Seeds?

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Re: But what's in the cargo?

Naaah, it's square pigs killer robots...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about the new Nuclear Reactor fuel?

It was my understanding that cargo rocket had new fuel rods for the hush hush nuclear reactor the Russians had up there on the ISS.

Where did they say it was crashing again?

1. Mark Exclamation

Re: What about the new Nuclear Reactor fuel?

"Where did they say it was crashing again?" - Iran, only it's not crashing, it's a delivery.

12. Conundrum1885

RE. Re: What about the new Nuclear Reactor fuel?

Progress M27M sounds like such a dull name. How about "Damocles" or "Hubris" ?

Then again, the Russkies have warned all the countries under the potential final orbit of this thing right? Would hate for it to nearly start WWIII like that Norwegian weather rocket because it coincided with a bad solar storm that messed up the telemetry from the satellites.

13. Jonathan Richards 1

Who's got the book?

> It is expected to break up in the atmosphere in the next ten days.

Nice pass over southern England and several western European nations on the morning of 12th May, if it makes it that far. And perigee is at the northern extension of the orbit, too, according to Ben (above). Faites vos jeux, messieurs et madames.

Map

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who's got the book?

If it does reenter over Europe and 'delivers' a commerical quantity of goods, will VAT be applied?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like