back to article Big Blue boffins claim quantum computing measurement leap

IBM has claimed major breakthroughs in quantum computing after boffins in Big Blue's lab demonstrated the ability to simultaneously detect and measure bit-flip and phase-flip quantum errors for the first time. Additionally, they revealed a new, square quantum bit circuit design that, the researchers believe, is "the only …

1. Measurer

Somethings in there....

Sounds like a budgie's got in their box, and is definitely alive (therefore the cat must be dead).

1. Mark 85

Re: Somethings in there....

Or maybe it's the other way around? Dead budgie... live cat.....?

1. Measurer

Re: Somethings in there....

Or a superposition of the two? My head hurts.....

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Goddammit El Reg

IBM has claimed major breakthroughs in quantum computing after boffins in Big Blue's lab demonstrated the ability to simultaneously detect and measure bit-flip and phase-flip quantum errors for the first time.

NO! The paper reveals that

Here we present a quantum error detection protocol on a two-by-two planar lattice of superconducting qubits. The protocol detects an arbitrary quantum error on an encoded two-qubit entangled state via quantum non-demolition parity measurements on another pair of error syndrome qubits. This result represents a building block towards larger lattices amenable to fault-tolerant quantum error correction architectures such as the surface code.

So the actual work is an implementation of quantum error detection/correction (which I do not pretend to understand unless I am given the sabbatical that I so richely deserve to perform err.. research). This is very important for reliable quantum computing and a has been solved in theory back in 2001 or so (although people going full retard and dissing QC because of the possibility that incontinent 'observations' will destroy the computation haven't gotten that fact as yet).

3. DrM

Quantum Computing Day

I think we should have an official Quantum Computing Day each year on April 1st.

"The protocol detects an arbitrary quantum error on an encoded two-qubit entangled state via quantum non-demolition parity measurements on another pair of error syndrome qubits. This result represents a building block towards larger lattices amenable to fault-tolerant quantum error correction architectures such as the surface code."

I still think this is written by some simple AI program, like computer poetry.

"The fault-tolerant nature of error syndrome entangled qubits along with self-replicating demolition parity mechanisms can reduce the net artifact of arbitrary quantum errors."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like