back to article Paranoid about the NSA? The case for dumping cloud's Big 3

Internet Service Providers (ISPs) may be the most important public cloud providers of the next decade. Hosting your data with an ISP has a number of advantages over choosing the dominant American cloud providers: advantages that run the gamut from technical to political. ISPs have been in the co-location business practically …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lovely idea... maybe not

The general problem with most ISPs offering any sort of service is competence.

Most of them have lost local skills required to run a service that is heavily reliant on sysadmin competence. The days when an ISP sysadmin could setup and manage mail, hosting, etc with their eyes closed are long gone. There is noone to do that any more. It is all a resale of somebody's else (usually the Big 3 +/- Yahoo) product.

There are a couple of notable exceptions per country, but that's about it. It is a desert out there.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Lovely idea... maybe not

Yes, look at BT here in the UK.

They outsourced email to Yahoo and the buggers changed settings from time to time without it being updated on BT's help pages, and their useless hell desk had no clue either :(

I mean WTF are they doing changing an email server's settings without informing the users. You know, maybe by emailing them in advance?

If I am kind then it is simple incompetence in not knowing the POP/IMAP settings at any point in time. If cynical then its because they want people to use the web-mail interface where they can serve up adverts.

2. Blane Bramble

Re: Lovely idea... maybe not

There are plenty of competent companies outside the major names. However, that competence and service costs, particularly when done at a smaller scale then the big boys.

The fact that most customers buy purely on price, choosing to ignore the "better" options, and then complain about the service is often the root of the problem.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Encryption

Encryption works if you use the "cloud" for data storage, say as an off-site back-up. And it is only trustworthy if you have control over exactly what software is doing it (and realistically that means a well regarded open source system) and you are the only one holding the key.

Where it all falls down is if you are using the "cloud" as a computing-on-demand service, or for document sharing and web-based editing, because then it has to be decrypted on the servers of the host, so they have access to your key.

Sure, the data at rest (i.e. stored on disk) may be encrypted, but they could snapshot the running VM or whatever and then poke through its memory for the key.

Really if you are concerned about privacy then run everything on a local machine, with multiple layers of firewall/VPN style protection depending on who/where access is needed, and only use an off-site provider to keep encrypted backups. That you encrypt before they move off-site.

Re: Encryption

Just to add that SpiderOak claim to provide a drop-box like file sync/share with "zero knowledge" of the data stored on their servers. Of course, just so long as you don't create a share link for web access as that needs your key to be transferred.

This is how it should be!

The only reservation I have is I don't think it has been independently audited and even if the source was available to me, I doubt I could audit it myself.

2. TReko
      Pint

Re: Encryption

Encryption is fine, but it has its downsides - mainly sharing. We use Syncdocs to do end-to-end encryption of Google Drive. It does this perfectly, but sharing files with others outside the company, requires passwords or removal of encryption on the shared file.

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Vimes

If a company is headquartered in the US, then they may be beholden to American law, regardless of where their data centres live

Isn't it possible for UK companies that do business in the US to also fall under US law?

You could potentially be doing business with a UK business in the UK with data that never leaves the UK, but because it is either a subsidiary of a larger US corporation or has sufficient dealings on the other side of the pond they could still face demands from the US government.

For that matter, where does that leave domestic ISPs here, such as Virgin Media, since they have US based owners?

The only way that is trustworthy is to have your own encryption.

That way if anyone has a legal reason to access your data they have to come directly to you with a court order. You then only have to respond to courts that have legal authority over you, not over your ISP or over your cloud provider, etc.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

American legal attack surface > 0 = bad.

1. Vimes

A sentiment I could easily agree with. Surely though problems start arising though when it's difficult to figure out who owns what and what that attack surface really is?

For that matter situations change. Going back to Virgin Media again they weren't always US owned. How often should people check the nationality of the owners in order to stay safe?

As for encryption, if the US has been introducing weaknesses into the system thanks to friends in the likes of RSA then can you really trust that either, regardless of whether the data gets encrypted before it gets sent to the outside world?

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Its not just the Americans, though they seem to be the worst offender these days given the open attitude of "USA courts can enforce USA laws in other countries".

It is about anyone out there who wants to get a hold of your data: be it spy agency in your own country or another, business competitors, jilted spouse, nosey employee at your hosting provider, whatever.

As for deliberate weaknesses, that is far easier to do in a closed source implementation (to leak the key as claimed for Crypto AG devices) than in a standard (where you hope that the breaking effort is much less than obvious brute-force due to some knowledge you have about it). Which is why the only standards you should consider are ones that have been publicly analysed by the international community (e.g. AES) and not ones where the creation was done in secret (e.g. Dual EC).

1. Vimes

I would have thought the only safe solution would be to have your own NAS box somewhere on the network and have it accessible to the outside world. Run your own cloud in other words.

I wouldn't count myself as particularly knowledgeable on the networking front, and if even I can manage to understand how to set one up at home (admittedly mostly for media, but possibly for other stuff too) then surely businesses can do better?

@Vimes

"safe solution would be to have your own NAS box somewhere on the network"

Yes - except most home & small-office products are shockingly shit when it comes to security.

Maybe Trevor Pott has some advice from his much greater experience than me, but personally I won't put any of my machines on the world-accessible network as I don't trust them much. My own Linux PC which I can SSH in to also has a 2nd software firewall (behind my el-cheapo router) that only allows my work's sub-net to even try a log-in.

It might make a useful article, how to chose & set up a router and NAS + few machines so you can VPN in and access your data or desktop with tolerable risk?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: @Vimes

"It might make a useful article, how to chose & set up a router and NAS + few machines so you can VPN in and access your data or desktop with tolerable risk?"

http://www.teamdrive.com/

Problem = solved.

"http://www.teamdrive.com/

Problem = solved."

Not really. While the "Professional Starter 5 Server" looks as if it provides your cloudy store & share, it still leaves open the whole issue of how you secure access to your own server to host it (assuming that you have the need for enough data to make them hosting it uneconomical or too slow, so you want only some data synced but lots more on-demand).

Also you might have software on a home/work machine you need to run remotely (maybe its tied to MAC address or whatever for licensing). That was why the issue of choosing & configuring a router/VPN was mentioned, as it could drastically reduce the chances of other having a pop at your server, etc.

2. P. Lee

Put a proper IPSEC VPN in front. Don't go around relying on application security to do the job.

1. John Sanders
                Linux

Some of us trust OpenSSH way, way more than any proprietary VPN solution, thank you very much.

OpenSSH is not perfect, but close ;-)

3. Johndoe132

For me it's a headless HP Microserver in the attic with 2TB of RAID1 disk running Ubuntu server.

That runs Samba for local file sharing and I use Tonido & Plex for access on mobile devices. The server also runs OpenVPN so I can connect in securely from outside with various registered devices.

To secure this from the outside world there is a BT Home Hub hooked up to Infinity which provides guest WiFi access for visitors etc and net access to less trusted devices such as the TV and Sky Box. Sat behind that and running the trusted local LAN is a small business grade VPN firewall / router from one of the better known vendors.

Not perfect I'm sure but I feel this is a fairly safe setup on a budget. I'm now looking at spinning up a virtual Ubuntu server to run as a squid proxy with DansGuardian to filter net traffic for the kids.

"Make NAS visible to outside world".

Um hmm. And do you want to to wager how long it would take me to crack your off-the-shelf NAS with 13 pending updates and 50 known vulns...only 35 of which the vendor has patched?

Hell even I have black vulns for most of the major NASes. DO NOT EXPOSE NASES TO THE INTERNET. EVER. DO NOT DO.

1. Vimes

@Trevor_Pott

A good point, and one I should have thought of.

Thankfully I have yet to set up any NAS, although I'm looking into options, so I haven't made any stupid mistakes (yet).

If CSIS or CESC dig into my data, they must answer to a judge. Or, if not, then at the very least I cannot be sued in a Canadian court for their misdeeds.

If I am complying with Canadian law and our security services decide to break that law, my clients cannot win in court against me: they have to fight the spooks.

Ah, but if I host my data elsewhere...can I really say that I am obeying Canadian law? The data is not subject only to Canadian law if it's outside Canada. What's more, it may be impossible to know whose laws it is subject to (large cloud providers move data around the globe as part of routine maintenance).

So, unless I have a crackerjack legal team, why take the risk? Keep my data in Canada, let my customers duke privacy concerns out with our government.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

UK, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, French, Russian, (PR) Chinese, Saudi, and really any attack surface at all these days. US and the rest of the 5-EYES, especially their information sharing arrangements, set the new gold standard for ... everything come to think of it.

This latest article does zero in on the economic targeting which wouldn't be near as much of a concern if the military were handling it, more if civil service (still scary). What really tosses the notion into bull-shit detection range is involving contractors, especially contractors who should have a vested interest in defeating access controls formally or informally. Chinese firewalls haven't worked out all that well in the financial world, some basic control yes, though I'm pretty damn certain that where there isn't recourse to the open judicial system you are economically dead. Standing and/or national security trump(s) that right.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's like running your own IT still makes sense...

If you own the infrastructure, you are far better protected if you own your own assets and data. Yes - security and patching are an overhead, but the benefits far outweigh the costs.

The Cloud - your data on someone else's computer.

6. Salamander

Even if you store your data outside of the USA, I would still not put it past them to try and get hold of your data. For one thing, a lot of governments are so beholden to America that they will quite happily sign agreements allowing America to access your data either directly or indirectly.

Evidence? Just look up FATCA. I fear that it will not be long before a data version of FATCA happens along.

There are probably some countries (Switzerland for example) who are trying to set them selves up as data secrecy jurisdictions, similar in concept to financial secrecy jurisdictions. Places to go where you want to hide things from the prying eyes of overbearing governments.

We do live in interesting times.

1. Mnot Paranoid

Iceland?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fun ...

"How can a small business look a regulator in the eye and say "yes, we're compliant" when in all honesty even the regulators don't have the foggiest clue whether or not storing our data elsewhere is legal."

Easily solved: if the company with whom the customer has a contract is Canadian, Canadian law applies. US courts can stay within US, EU national courts within their nation states, and none can over-ride Canadian law or access that data. To use US as an example, Any data access by US agencies at local, state or federal level is fruit of poisoned tree, and any judge allowing it should be required to eat said tree for dinner. If the Canadian company has a foreign parent or outsources any of its functions to any non-Canadian entity (even indirectly), it should be required to state that in customer contracts and get customers to explicitly accept that term, with all jurisdictions named; if that changes during the life of the contract, customer can back out at no cost to themselves.

Of course, that's far too simplistic.

It doesnt keep megabucks lawyers in jobs for years, for a start.

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Keep ISP & other services separate

I've changed ISP twice due to the original companies being bought up by other companies who were either cr@p or whom I didn't trust. The first time round I had ISP-provided email so I had to find another provider which, of course, meant changing my email address. Now I have separate email providers & ISP. That means less upheaval when changing ISP if that were to be needed again.

If I were to keep data on someone else's computer I'd apply the same approach: why have the hassle of migrating data because the ISP loses its ISP competence? Come to that, why have the hassle of changing ISP because they lose their competence to manage storage?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Keep ISP & other services separate

"Changing ISP"

You live in a fairy land.

9. Gravesender

I've always thought that a cloud infrastructure dominated by the oligopoly of the big three providers presents unacceptable risks beyond the threat to data security for a particular user. Think what might happen if a terrorist or state-sponsored actor should somehow inject some kind of system-wide disruptive malware into one of these systems. Microsoft brags about how their security apparatus depends on a single global Active Directory instance. What if it became corrupted somehow? These systems present single points of failure and therefore attractive targets for all kinds of problems, both intentionally malicious and accidental. The mind boggles!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only thing cloud providers have to offer is the competence of their staff.

Otherwise, a beat up old computer with an external usb drive in the 1-2 terabyte range is all the cloud storage anyone needs, and you can put that in your basement cheap.

No competent staff ? Don't waste my time. Computer hardware is dirt cheap these days.

Consider this : Rasberry pi computer - 35$

4 gigabyte ssd card to run the OS : 16$

1 x 2 Terabyte external hard drive (usb) : 120$

1x Cat5 network cable 10$

Thank you and good night to any expensive "cloud solutions" I'll do it in my basement.

11. Koconnor100

Encryption ???

Why would you use dead storage on a server anyways ? Do you have any idea how cheap a couple of usb terabyte drives are ? Do you have any idea how expensive a terabyte of data transmitted over the internet is ? And now you want to talk encryption to defend an already economically indefensible business plan.

If security is your concern , then you must run a high speed connection to your basement and set up your own server or two. Renting from anyone else is a total fail on the security front. They can all be supenaed , sued, the door kicked in by police , or just plain hacked.

And if the computer farm is strictly for internal use, the high speed connection should be skipped entirely , and no internet connection at all should be permitted. (lock all the usb ports , floppy drives, cd roms , on all the computers. And set up the routers so that people can't just pull a network cable out of a computer and plug it into their lap top)

12. Koconnor100

wtf cloud ?

Cloud is a solution looking for a problem.

I mean really , we all now pay by the gigabyte for uploading and downloading , and they're trying to get us to store gigabytes of data in the cloud ? WTF is up with that ?

I look at a terabyte back up drive and it comes with software to back up the whole terabyte into the cloud. WTF ? Do I look like I have the money to transfer a terabyte of data to the cloud ? Let alone bring it back later ? no ! That's why I'm buying the terabyte back up drive in the first place ! Duh !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like