back to article ICANN wants total control of DNS while breaking its own bylaws to block .africa probe

ICANN broke its own bylaws – and acted in a way "fundamentally inconsistent" with its role as the world's DNS overlord – while restricting efforts to make itself more accountable to netizens. That striking judgment [PDF] comes this month from an independent review team at the International Centre For Dispute Resolution (ICDR …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds just like the US government. Presumably the IANA contract is in the bag then...

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Gimp

Yet another job for Ukrainian Victor?

....to bring light to the murk after a letter of encouragement and a suitable period of waiting, of course.

3. Bucky 2
    Trollface

Shocked

I'm shocked that people still think ICANN is trying to be transparent and accountable for its actions.

1. Alistair

Re: Shocked

Personally I think they're quite transparent. However, I suspect that what shows is not quite what people want to see........

4. Yes Me Silver badge
    Facepalm

What's the surprise?

So, you try to make a lot of free money out of selling completely pointless domain names to people with scurvy motivations, and other people want to know how you decided which set of people get to give you that money, and it all gets ugly. What did you expect? A round of applause? The ethics of the domain name "industry" just get worse and worse.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: What's the surprise?

Indeed. I suspect these people can't even spell the word 'ethics' let alone understand what it means.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like