back to article TURKEY-SIZED 'platypus' T. REX found by kid BAFFLES boffins

Baffled bone boffins are puzzled by the discovery of a diminutive new vegetarian dino in Chile which, they say, was closely related to the infamous meat-eating Tyrannosaurus rex. Chilesaurus diegosuarezi. Image credit: University of Birmingham Chilesaurus diegosuarezi. Image credit: University of Birmingham Specimens of …

1. Little Mouse

Ask any parent...

When it comes to dinosaur-related knowledge, seven-year-olds beat Boffins hands-down.

2. Anomalous Cowturd
    Joke

Suarez?

Hope it doesn't bite!

3. nematoad

A question.

If as Fernando Novas says Chilesaurus was so abundant and the beds are well known why was this species only discovered recently?

A bit of spin perhaps?

Surely not.

4. Stevie

Bah!

Let us hope this is not just another case of Australopithecus spiff-arino.

5. Tromos

Turkey-sized platypus

What??? A 300,000 square mile platypus!!!

1. P. Lee
      Coat

Re: Turkey-sized platypus

> What??? A 300,000 square mile platypus!!!

That's my joke... I'm sending you my huge bill.

6. Alistair
    Coat

Sad parent moment

..... Go Diego, Go!

7. Daniel von Asmuth
    Holmes

What did it eat? Chili?

Coincidentially, Scientific American just published an article on our bloody f(r)iend Tyrannosaurs Rex.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/rise-of-the-tyrannosaurs/

1. P. Lee

Re: What did it eat? Chili?

>Coincidentially, Scientific American just published an article on our bloody f(r)iend Tyrannosaurs Rex.

Paywall?

Have they worked out how T Rex could be a predator when falling over would kill him?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: What did it eat? Chili?

Have they worked out how T Rex could be a predator when falling over would kill him?

Also: T Rex relationships could be a bit tricky.

8. Adrian Tawse

Balance

One thing I have never understood about this shape of dino is how it does not fall over. The centre (correct spelling, not American) of gravity is clearly in front of the hind legs. It either carried large counter weights on its tail, or it stood a lot more upright, or the hind leg were angled forward. In the posture above it would have fallen on it's face.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Balance

I always understood that if T. Rex ran it would have leant forward and raised it's tail, however I've also read that they may have largely been scavengers or opportunists rather than particularly active hunters. No reason why they wouldn't have been both though.

A more normal posture would likely to have been much more upright, possibly with tail down and legs a bit forward (similar to a kangaroo in some ways) allowing it to bend down and eat things at it's feet.

1. Adrian Tawse

Re: Balance

Having the centre of gravity forward of the hind legs while running only works while accelerating. Once at full velocity, and assuming such velocity is not supersonic, then wind resistance will not be sufficient. Dino would have buried its face in the ground. Those front leg (arms) are clearly insufficient to carry significant weight so a four legged stance i out of the question. Basically the tail is an insufficient counterweight to the rest of the body. Take a vertical line from the centre of the main load bearing part of the foot (most likely near the heel) and if it does not pass though the centre of gravity then splat!

If we have a palaeontologist reading this then I would dearly like to know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon