back to article New antenna supports all three wireless charging standards

A new antenna design aims to solve the two major problems with wireless charging: the mess of standards and the limitations of transmitting power by radio. The antenna, built by Chicago company NuCurrent, can support the wireless charging standards of Qi, the Power Matters Association (PMA) and the Association for Wireless …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a thought...

...what happens if you have 2 or more standards in close proximity?

1. Danny 14

Re: Just a thought...

Don't cross the streams.

2. Alister
    Thumb Up

One thing to bring them all and in the darkness charge them

Yep, this deserves at least one of these >>>

3. Alan Denman

Divide and conquer

Business is all about making things complicated.

I sort of hope wireless charging could not be f*cked up by vested interests.

Can they patent that receiving of waves then ? If we have patent free receiving then all is good.

4. msknight
    Mushroom

Next up...

The iLounge ... with a charger built in to the arm that can charge your iCuckooClock while you sit and watch TV. Or the iBoard which charges it while you type. Or the iMouse which needs a thicker cable and is rumoured to be too hot to handle...

Wow, I'm hot today ... oops, I obviously need to change my coils...

Reg, can we have an icon for "Professor Patent Pending" please, as we come up with some obvious stunning ideas sometimes

1. RockBurner

Re: Next up...

Methinks Hanna Barbera might have something to say about that?

http://www.hotink.com/wacky/03_ani.gif

2. King Jack

The name was Professor Pat Pending. But yeah I'd like to see a patent icon too.

3. Bloakey1

<snip>

"Reg, can we have an icon for "Professor Patent Pending" please, as we come up with some obvious stunning ideas sometimes"

How about one called the Wrist Rocket, it charges as you m̶a̶s̶t̶u̶r̶b̶a̶t̶e̶ make rapid hand signals.

Hmmm, I wondered why my Rolex never needed winding up.

5. PNGuinn

Yet another thought

And what happens when some poor sod tries to listen to am radio nearby? Like Ranio 4 on 200 kHz?*

Seriously, does anyone here know the rf spillage implications and power transfer efficiencies (in real life use) of this lazy boys' toy?

*Yes I am that old, and NO it's NOT The Archers.

1. Colin Miller
      Headmaster

Re: Yet another thought

Isn't it 198 kHz?

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

In spite of the many obvious downsides of this silly technology, at least we can celebrate that the public seems to have lost their likely-irrational fear of EM waves causing cancer.

3. JeffyPoooh

Efficiency will be worse than a cable, I think obviously. Times N = billions. The world will need ten more coal powered generation stations to make up the gap.

4. Tcat

Re: Yet another thought RF Q

I only have experience with Qi. Zero Interference issues, however I did NOT test against AM. Wi-Fi, Cell voice/data, FM radio all happy with my Lumia 1520 sitting on a 3 coil desk stand. Often, I'll wind down to some Netflix or Amazon Video while either 2.4 or 5.1 Wi-Fi in the evening. It appears the focus area is rather small.... Intel claims it will be better, however what they are thinking, I have not researched.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds impossible...

Because making one half of a air core transformer that can work at more than one frequency is ~so~ difficult.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like