back to article ZOMBIE Google Glass 2 FEEDS ON Italian BRAINS, says specs supremo

Italian eyewear maker Luxottica has been working with Google engineers to come up with a new version of Glass – adding further weight to the suggestion the project isn't truly dead. The ad giant killed off Glass 1.0 sales in January after the unpopular program jumped the tracks. In March, Google's exec chairman Eric Schmidt …

1. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

unobtrusive ... calm people's privacy fears

No, that will make people MORE upset.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

The biggest draw back to the first iterations was the lack of a symmetric design. They looked strange and made people's faces lopsided.

I don't want Google glasses, but if the glassholes insist on having them, at least make them presentable.

1. Mark 85

"I don't want Google glasses, but if the glassholes insist on having them, at least make them presentable."

Err...no. Make them detectable so the rest of us will know our privacy is being invaded.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Mark 85

Q: If your so-called "privacy" is being invaded in public spaces, and the specs are too unobtrusive for you to tell, what's the problem?

A: The problem is that you have an unreasonable expectation of privacy.

1. Mark 85

Re: @Mark 85

These things can be creepy enough as certain areas of the web have shown. Reddit, Imagur, Instagram and others have their stalkers running amok. So what's so unreasonable about having the Glass more identifiable?

2. DryBones
        Joke

"Err...no. Make them detectable so the rest of us will know our privacy is being invaded."

There's a show on Netflix called Brain Games. At least one of the episodes touches on the limits of human attention and awareness. Just by making someone focus their attention on a spoon, a sleight-of-hand man steals several large items off him.

Trust me, you miss 98% of those invasions already. Glass just sticks out because you're not used to it like you are everything else. Probably be a grand accessory for a pickpocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given Luxottica's huge retail markup

Version 2.0 probably won't be cheaper than 1.0. Luxottica's margins make even Apple envious!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Glass always has been, and always will be,

An utter failure. A creepy one mind you.....

1. DryBones

Re: Glass always has been, and always will be,

It's not, though. It's working decently in certain areas of the workplace, like operating theaters and warehouses and all. The things that it does Facebook is trying / wanting to do, and considering their traffic numbers, people seem to be loving it. If it was more high-tech visor like some of the anime stuff, they'd be all over Japan already. Microsoft and others are working on getting there.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Glass always has been, and always will be,

It's working decently in certain areas of the workplace, It is a great accessory for a cop. Face recognize, Face match, Dredd mode activate.

I find it difficult to see what are the legit civilian applications in a public space though. As a "civilian" it is not my freaking business to know the names, sexual preferences, age, political orientation, etc of every person on the street (it is something google or fbook can easily dump in front of the glasshole eyes). Doing so is an unacceptable invasion of privacy (despite happening in a public space). Even as a cop it is clearly beyond the limits of what is considered a reasonable search.

5. Six_Degrees

"Crucially, if the tech is unobtrusive, Glass 2.0 may calm people's privacy fears."

You know what would calm people's privacy fears? Getting rid of the damn camera.

1. corestore

You miss the point entirely

That's just dumb. Part of the *point* of Glass is that it allows you to keep your phone in your pocket. It's a Bluetooth headset with display and camera as well as earpiece and microphone.

You get an email or text message; it comes up on the Glass display; your phone stays in your pocket.

You want to take a pic; you press the button on Glass; your phone stays in your pocket.

Also - how in hell do you take hands-free shots with your phone? What's the point in having a second Bluetooth device which is just a camera? I have one; it looks like a rather fat version of a standard Bluetooth earpiece. Remember Looxcie? But since I got Glass it's been gathering dust.

6. phil dude
    Coat

Borg much?

Sorry, I can't get the picture of Locutus out of my mind.

I now think "Glass mk VII"

P.

7. Adalat

If the Mini Augmented Vision project is any indication of the future then "unobtrusive" may not be a design parameter. Any bets on "Google Goggles" ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like