back to article NBN Co loses the “Co” for AU$700,000

NBN Co, the entity charged with building and operating Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN), has changed its name to NBN. Reports from Fairfax Media suggest the company spent some AU$700,000 on the re-branding exercise, which produced the logo at the top of this story and the variant at its foot. Both appear heavily- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Logo

That is one REALLY BIG hotspot in the middle of Oz...

$700K for that....Bargain.

2. pro-logic

Name shortening: $350K a letter.

Sounds like good work. Where do I sign up to do such work with NBN? There is still $1.05 million worth of name shortening work with them.

1. silent_count
      Flame

Look for pro-logic! You've completely misrepresented the complexity and nuance involved in the extensive corporate rebranding process. It's not just a simple matter of paying a $350k per letter removal fee. That just ridiculous!

NBN (formerly with "NBN co") actually negotiated Rebranders Inc* down to the perfectly reasonable fee of only $100k per letter but then there was the additional issue of organically certified, environmentally friendly whitespace disposal. I think we can all agree that "NBN[space]" would provide an unacceptable corporate presence so $500k for removing the space was perfectly justified. That you failed to consider the disastrous implications of that trailing space just shows what a total novice you are in the rebranding process.

* Full disclosure: The CEO of Rebranders Inc does have a certain similarly of surname with the CEO of NBN, and the 'logo designer' does share the same name as the three year-old son of Rebranders Inc's CEO but I'm sure it's coincidental and, to be fair, it's a very talented three year-old.

3. Sanctimonious Prick
    WTF?

How Much?

Somebody got kickbacks a nice bonus!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could have been worse

http://www.makesimpledesigns.com/most-expensive-logo-designs-and-rebrandings-of-all-time/

5. chekri

If they weren't spending our money, it would be funny...

So I assume they had to buy rights to the trademark? If not, 700k is a lot of coin for what was an obvious shortening of the name, a somewhat bland logo and a trademark registration

6. MrDamage Silver badge

What a crock of shit.

They go along and whinge, bitch and moan about costing estimates, and then they go ahead and do this, along with a rather pointless fucking survey that tells us what we already fucking know?

Those who got given a brown paper envelope for these efforts, deserve to have something else installed into a brown paper bag, left on their doorstep, and immolated.

7. LaeMing
    Unhappy

Your tax dollar...

...at work.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not laughing

The Libs like to sell themselves as better financial managers than the opposition. Yet they offer a very expensive, under-performing NBN which will be obsolete before it is finished and will cost almost as much as FTTH. That's some poor financial management right there, and this 700k down the drain is just icing on the turd cake.

Well done Malcolm and Tony, you've cemented your reputations as Australia's premier unfunny comedy duo.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm not laughing

To think we almost had Abbot and Costello…

9. Virag0

The new logo is appropriate, but only because the dots get fainter the further away from the Node, just like Real Life in the Malcolm Turnbull Mode (MTM).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should've just called it Telecom.

Could've saved a ton of money too, and used the old branding from 1975.

Given that it's just another state-owned monopoly telco, why not? Easy to understand for the populace.

1. Sanctimonious Prick
      Holmes

Re: Should've just called it Telecom.

Or Post Master General (PMG), even. Their logo can still be seen all over the footpaths (in Sydney at least).

11. P. Lee
    Mushroom

It was inevitable

Now they've given up building a fibre network, they've got surplus money to spend on marketing.

I guess Telstra didn't bill them enough for replacing the degraded Telstra copper with, er, more copper.

No FTTH; no East-West link for Melbourne so you can get to the airport without going through the city centre - I hate all politicians.

1. The Gerb..

Re: It was inevitable

Where do you live that requires you to actually go through the CBD to Tullamarine?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They can call it "Gerald" if they like

It's never coming anywhere near us.

Just checked the 'roll-out map' again.

Planned coverage is actually shrinking, and that's for NBN-Lite AKA: Dodgy Mal's Fraudband.

BAH!

13. Tim Roberts 1

here's the rub .

I, who doesn't need it (live in the western suburbs of Brisbane) and have very good adsl connection with mostly very good VOIP, will get NBN before one of my friends who lives 40km from me - in the sticks as they say - and relies on mobile phone for his internet at home. My sister in Launceston and friends in Hobart tell me the same story so I'm sure this is echoed around oz.

WTF! The NBN has been bastardised by Turnbull et.al. and they should be pilloried at the next election. A world class system reduced to a deploy-where-it-pays system.

1. Benno

Re: here's the rub .

Exactly - I'm expecting the FTTP termination box to be installed on my house within the next month (we've received written confirmation of this phase of the rollout), and I'm chuffed to be getting the 'original unmolested' iteration of the NBN. BUT I already get ADSL2+ sync speeds around the 17/2 mark...

There are so many other areas that would be in-line with the NBN fibre trunks that should be getting the service before us.

$700k would also connect a non-trivial number of nodes to the network, even at the over inflated rubbish price-per-node estimates currently being used.

What a waste.

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Better move to a marginal seat

You want NBN?

Sure, here ya go.

15. Great Southern Land

Someone didn't do their research - or else they forgot about another entity that trades as NBN and is well established in the Newcastle area! (NBN Television)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like