back to article Quid-A-Day Nosh Challenge kicks off early for starvation veteran

The El Reg Quid-A-Day Nosh Posse has attracted two last minute members for the 2015 Live Below the Line challenge, and we're delighted to welcome back on board 2014 participant Toby Sibley, who's joined by his better half Ros Griffin. Readers who followed last year's budget nosh entertainment will recall that Toby survived on …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Welcome back, Toby

Bangers and mash tonight, cooking as I write - purely to avoid the temptation of having them in the fridge, you understand!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Welcome back, Toby

I am currently discharging all beer from the fridge for the same reason. I have no coffee in the house, I've scoffed the last two "magdalenas" (breakfast cakes) and will trough the last slice of goat cheese later. Chickpeas are soaking...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Last year I spent an average of about £1.29 per day on food and the year before that about £1.25; do I get a prize?

I did it for charity, the charity of me having to living in Dave Cameron's proto-littleEngland.

1. Santa from Exeter
          Thumb Down

Yes, you get a prize.

Here is your 'Most Annoying Thread Hijack of the Week' award; in the 'Political Pointlessness' category.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Welcome back, Toby

Indeed. Put it up for the cause or shut up, "anonymous" Bob [surname redacted].

1. armyknife

The "I want to feel good about myself" cause?

It also seems odd for you to use the word starvation in the article title, when increasing numbers of children are actually going to school feeling hungry, a consequence of contracting real wages and disappearing safety net benefits for many people in this society.

2. jake Silver badge

"I am currently discharging all beer from the fridge for the same reason."

What, you don't make your own beer? Under US$0.50/gallon, all grain. Granted, I grow my own hops, and malt my own grains (horse chow is beer, by any other name), and I have been keeping my own bread/beer yeast going since the late 1970s ... A three-stage 30 gallon system has a bit of an up-front cost, but lasts virtually forever.

We ARE talking sustainability, not posturing, right?

Black beans are soaking, as always on Monday night ...

(That's the personal stuff ... the commercial side of the operation isn't germane to this conversation).

Side note: I just picked up 200 pounds of long grain rice from Cash & Carry for under US$70. See: https://www.smartfoodservice.com/content/hotsheet/42/920/8/0/

Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

To think that all I scoffed last night was the last of the salad and quiche - I can almost feel virtuous. There's still lager in the fridge, but a friend cleaned me out of beer last week. I did manage to polish off a couple of left-over jammy dodgers though.

Current plan is to celebrate the finish with either a bacon or a fish finger sandwich. Unfortunately there's a packet of bacon left in there, calling out to me.

2. nsld

currently clearing the fridge

Had to take the ice out of the freezer so its martini time.

Meals are cooked and in the freezer ready for the week.

I pity my colleagues, the smell of fish surprise is not the best

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

smell of fish surprise is not the best

Ye gods and little fishies, I pity *you*!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In a stable subsistance agriculture society the standard of living is not so terrible. People have houses to live in. Those houses can be quite old, or quite modern. People are able to put 3 reasonable meals on the table a day for their children. They may not have 2 cents to rub together and their houses may very few things, for sure.

The level of social inequality is getting so bad in many western industrialized countries that a substantial proportion of the population would be better off in a subsistance agriculture society.

If an industrialised society society cannot match the standard of living of an agricultural society then why keep it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon