back to article Amazon lifts lid on AWS money factory, says it's a $5 BEEEELLION biz

Amazon lifted the veil from the financials of its Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud computing business for the first time on Thursday, and it looks to be off to a fine start for the first quarter of the company's fiscal 2015. While Amazon's total revenue of $22.72bn for the quarter represented 15 per cent year-on-year growth – a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So that means Microsoft Azure is already a over billion a quarter ahead of AWS - and it makes a profit!

"Microsoft reported that commercial cloud revenue more than doubled for the seventh quarter in a row. Sales in the commercial unit that includes cloud programs was $2.76 billion, compared with a $2.66 billion average estimate of analysts."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-23/microsoft-beats-analysts-expectations-as-cloud-revenue-jumps

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No it doesn't

As the bit you've quoted yourself says "the commercial unit THAT INCLUDES CLOUD PROGRAMS...".

That unit is the "Other" unit which MS dump a load of things that don't really fit elsewhere including, for instance, their premier support, Dynamics etc. Also if you want to be really picky, I'd argue that you can't bundle commercial Office 365 sales (included in that $2.76 billion) into any comparison with AWS - chalk and cheese.

So if you want to compare AWS with Azure - well you can't. But Azure is *way* less than AWS in revenue terms on the above basis.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: No it doesn't

Dynamics and Office 365 are cloud services that run on Azure so seems reasonable to include them to me. Also large Azure services like Xbox Live are not currently included. Microsoft are clearly well ahead of Amazon in the cloud space...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AWS is....

... a Taxi Ambulance heading towards a Car Crash, but you can't see the Meter, the doors are locked and once in you can't escape.

3. smartypants

These numbers are comforting from a Software Engineer's perspective

I didn't ever worry too much about choosing AWS as it's now too big to just 'go away', but it's nice to know they make a healthy profit at the prices they charge (which have dropped dramatically in the face of competition). I assumed they ran the business like their retail (i.e. no actual profit!),

For a software engineer, AWS is great. You don't have to buy a ton of kit to invent and test systems, and its arsenal of weapons is significantly ahead of the competition's. Provisioning is a solely software concern, and AWS's SDKs and documentation are great. But most importantly, it forces IT costs to be a software design concern. Many a time has a piece of software emerged which, while ticking the headline requirements, is an IT team's utter nightmare on account of the lack of thought that went into the hardware systems impact... database requests, API calls, memory footprints, lack of ability to scale etc.. With cloud IT, all blame rests with the software engineers from the outset, so it encourages us to walk away from the old world where the software office and the IT office bicker over whose fault it was when something isn't right.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: These numbers are comforting from a Software Engineer's perspective

"For a software engineer, AWS is great."

But it really really sucks for Infrastructure guys, Azure is much easier to manage.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: These numbers are comforting from a Software Engineer's perspective

Is it? How so? Examples, please -- genuinely curious.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a tax con

Amazon could make profit any time it wanted to but doesnt just to avoid paying tax.

1. auburnman

Re: It's a tax con

Yeah I thought this was common knowledge by now; I was actually a little surprised by the 'poor Amazon' tone, as if the author doesn't know this is how it looks when it's going to plan for them.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: It's a tax con

It's not a tax con, because Amazon don't make profits. By definition. They're not hiding the profits in another company, they're spending their profits on growing the company. Some combination of buying lots of servers for Cloud, stupidly low pricing to buy market share and weird stuff like drones and Fire tablets/phones.

So no, the taxpayer is not being ripped off. The system is working as designed. You don't pay tax on retained profits used for investment.

You might argue that the shareholders are being ripped off though. Is the company now growing for growth's sake? Moving into more areas, and doing odd stuff, because it interests Bezos - and he's getting to play with the world's greatest train set at their expense? That's a legitimate concern, but not the government's problem, that's down to the shareholders. They can try to unseat him, and get someone who's willing to start making profits and paying dividends (or doing share buy-backs as it's a US company) - or they can sell. Or they can decide they're happy and stay there. Normally a company's shareprice is supposed to represent the potential future profits - so Facebook were massively over-valued on the assumption that they could keep increasing profits for a decade - while costs would be relatively static. Amazon have now been going nearly 20 years, and stopped even trying to make profits ages ago.

I remember them using some bizarre home-grown finance bollocks to claim they were profitable during the dot.com crash. They don't seem to have even pretended to care since.

I suppose you could argue it's a problem, as they take profits from other companies - who therefore also can't pay corporation tax. And if every company operated this way, then there'd be no corporation tax at all. But on the other hand, they don't disappear their money, or hoard it. They spend it on salaries, and stuff from other companies, who do make profits and (hopefully) pay tax. :So the government should still be getting the same pound of flesh, theoretically, just from different people.

1. Tom 13

Re: The system is working as designed.

Just because the system is working as designed doesn't mean it isn't a tax con. It just means it's a legal tax con.

I'm all for setting the corporate tax rate at zero, but until we do that this sort of tax con is more troubling to me than the ones where the money gets parked offshore. One of the surest ways you know it is a tax con is that businesses are SUPPOSED to make money. I was under the impression there was an IRS rule that you needed to show a profit at least once every three years to prove it isn't an accounting fraud scheme along the lines of The Producers, which makes me all the more suspicious of Amazon.

Also, everybody is always bitching about Walmart killing main street jobs. For my money, Amazon has killed way more main street jobs than Walmart could ever hope to.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like