back to article Nobody should have to see their own rear, but that's what Turnbull's NBN will do to Australia

Last month I had a disorienting and quite frankly unnerving experience: I saw myself from behind. This bit of magic happened at the LAUNCH festival in San Francisco, where a few hundred baby startups get together to show off their ideas. This year, reflecting the broader trend in the industry, several firms had VR products. …

1. x 7

"immersive video"

when was the last time you read Farhenheit 451?

not the same technology, but scope for the same brain-deadening result

1. Andy Mac

...the same brain-deadening result

And that's why it will be a huge success.

1. Thorne

Re: ...the same brain-deadening result

Just like Big Brother and reality TV.........

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When I first heard of Malcolm Turnball I thought here is a man who knows and understands technology. Then he made the bone headed comment that Australia already had enough capacity and we didn't need fibre based solutions like the NBN any time soon. Followed by a range of other equally technology ignorant statements. How someone with this little vision got to where he is, is beyond me. Unless of course, it was his partners who created the success and he just parasited onto it. I looked forward to voting him out of politics as soon as I can. Labour may have been a chaotic mess. But at least they didn't go around shooting themselves in the foot and publicly embarrassing Australia on the world stage.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

I have a sneaking suspicion Turnbull always wanted FTTH - that was the impression I got before the election, anyway. So why is he screwing us with unsuitable FTTN? Because he's doing as he's told. Loyal to a fault.

1. Thorne

He's in a party and the party said that FTTH was a Labor idea and therefore must be bad and they must oppose it at all cost......

2. mathew42
      FAIL

Labor were better at the spin, but really they created the mess we are in by developing a dodgy financial model with data charges & speed tiers. As of February (see NBNCo Media Releases) , 38% on Fibre are connected at 12Mbps and a further 38% are connected at 25Mbps. 12Mbps connections are under what Labor predicted, but 25Mbps is well over.

> Labour may have been a chaotic mess. But at least they didn't go around shooting themselves in the foot and publicly embarrassing Australia on the world stage.

Pause and think about it for a moment. The political party that trumpeted 1Gbps connections in response to Google Fibre developed a plan where 50% on fibre were predicted to connect at 12Mbps for the next 15 years and in 2026 less than 1% would be connected at 1Gbps.

I'd have to say those figures sound pretty embarrassing to me.

1. Thorne

"Labor were better at the spin, but really they created the mess we are in by developing a dodgy financial model with data charges & speed tiers. As of February (see NBNCo Media Releases) , 38% on Fibre are connected at 12Mbps and a further 38% are connected at 25Mbps. 12Mbps connections are under what Labor predicted, but 25Mbps is well over."

Yes but the Libs are putting in a system that is out of date before they start, saving no money and will have to be ripped out and done again when 25Mbps isn't good enough anymore and for anyone more than 300M away from the node (AKA most of Australia) it's no better than what they have now.

How F#$king retarded is that?

2. Jasonk

Again Matheew42 quoting the same drivel when I have already shown how with avc and cvc NBNco makes the most money with just 20% on the highest teirs which atm there is 19% on 100Mbps. You think its the volume of people on connection when it is not. We already know wants to charge $10 more than NBN avc basic price for its copper service. That's a $10 of profit loss if it does cost NBN the same to run FTTN.

But what is even worst is that MTM is only design to deliver an upto 25Mbps nothing more considering that would make your figures even worst by 2020 how's is that for a dodgy financial model I would have to say that's embarrassing.

3. Martin Budden Silver badge

"Labor were better at the spin, but really they created the mess we are in by developing a dodgy financial model with data charges & speed tiers."

Want to know who really stuffed up the finances? John Howard did by privatising Telstra. The result of that little Thatcherite moment is now the government (any government) must pay $11b to use national infrastructure which used to be publically owned.

3. mr. deadlift

Title should read

Man sees own arse, fears arse future for Oz .

too soon?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Title should read

No, too past. The arse is already leading the country, and unfortunately, clad in budgie smugglers.

1. Paul 129
        Joke

Re: Title should read

And the other arse is just a little shorter....

4. Bilby

I already have the option to choose which camera angle I watch the footy from; and I don't use it, because my ability as a live sports producer sucks. I leave it to the professionals; and if immersive VR is offered to me, I will give that a swerve too.

I am sure it is impressive in a five minute demonstration at a trade show, where the technology is the focus of attention. I am equally sure that it will be much less impressive for a couple of hours of watching football, where the focus of attention is the game.

Sure, it can give me the experience of actually being at the stadium - where I have to check out the big screen to find out why the ref blew his whistle over on the far side of the ground. Oh, and it can also reproduce the authentic in-staduim 'empty wallet' effect too, no doubt. At least at the ground I get a plastic beaker of lukewarm weak beer in exchange for my week's salary, and not just a white elephant of a headset that will be rendered obsolete next month by an 'improvement'.

5. Jim84

Too much hassle

I'm going to guess that wearing a VR headset to watch the football will be too much hassle. People don't wear 3D glasses, and they are lighter and more convenient. I think large pseudo holographic TVs are the future.

1. Thorne

Re: Too much hassle

Quite correct. Something like hololens will give you the big screen without the big screen and it's due out this year.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which is why

the correct spelling for our nation is "AUSTFAILIA"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like