back to article Comcast 'flees $45bn monster-merger with Time Warner Cable'

Comcast is walking away from its proposed $45bn merger with Time Warner Cable (TWC), insiders claim. Comcast will announce as early as Friday its intent to scrap its plans for the mega-acquisition, according to well-placed sources speaking to Bloomberg. Comcast did not take up The Register's offer to deny the claims. The …

1. TaabuTheCat

Yes!

Maybe, just maybe, all the email sent (including mine) opposing the merger actually had some effect. At least that's what I'll tell myself for today, before we find out the real reason they killed it. Still good news regardless. The very last thing we need is Comcast controlling/destroying more of the market.

1. asdf

Re: Yes!

Hmm I wonder if it was 2016 if they might have just tried and delay it until after the next presidential election and hope for a friendlier ally running things (either party after they dump 20 million on both SuperPACs). After all it worked for Microsoft after W took office. Still great news for the little guy for once. Comcast reputation did nothing to help them I am sure.

2. Mark 85

Interesting...

....to say the least. Since corporations usually don't bow down to public pressure I have to wonder what they have up their sleeve. Yeah... a bit tinfoily hat but this is one corporation I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole or a 7-foot Lithuanian. They're not just going to walk away with nothing.

1. asdf

Re: Interesting...

The are walking away because it looks like their is no poison pill for doing so.

2. Youngone Silver badge

Tinfoily hat? Not at all. They will just wait an election cycle or two, get their "campaign contributions" properly organized and have another crack.

3. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

@Mark 85: corporations don't usually bow to public pressure, but they do bow to regulatory roadblocks, which can (and sometimes do) respond to the public.

In this case, added to the public pressure are all the municipalities which regulate cable companies AND the production companies, none of whom liked the idea of a monolithic cable company with 60% of the market deciding which channels were carried, what rates were charged, and what bundles existed (phone, cable and ISP...)

The muttering was that the FCC wasn't/isn't going to let this one slide through. If the FCC imposes too many restrictions, the deal wouldn't make sense, so they would have to lobby to get Congress to overrule the FCC, which costs a lot. So better to drop the deal now than to pay lots of money and still maybe not get the deal they want/need for this to make sense.

Of course, the other part of it is that Comcast and TWC are currently spending LOADS of money to try to persuade Congress to reverse the FCC on the Net Neutrality rules, and perhaps they just figured that weren't going to win both, so better to focus on the one they really care about.

1. Mark 85

Malcolm,

We are in agreement about the public pressure. I suspect that your last paragraph has nailed it. They don't want to fight a two front war....

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

WOAH memories

Can anyone remember the wet & sloppy merger of Time Warner and AOL? It was slated as one of the "biggest ever in history" at 164 x 10⁹ USD and a clusterfuck of (back then) giganormous proportions (in today's paper money, that would probably be more like 200 x 10⁹ USD, amirite?)

1. asdf

Re: WOAH memories

It was a Charlie Foxtrot but at lot of those zeros were on paper. Honestly I think the Countrywide acquisition was worse if not as big on paper. That was outright fraud where AOL was just massively overvalued.

4. Spaceman Spiff

Justice?

If this deal does indeed go down the "tubes", I have to think that true justice has been served! So, who will Comcrap try to take over next? AT&T? :rolleyes:

5. RedneckMother

ok, fine...

'bout time. I hope the rest of corporate 'murica take note, and that this shite will cease.

(I'm not going to hold my breath.)

6. thomas k.

Well...

Now that they're not going to be spending time and effort trying to get the merger approved, they'll direct those energies into improving their customer service?

Ah, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, right.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

capital reallocation

With Google fibre already on the way and the chokehold on municipal broadband removed, Comcast needs to reallocate its capital back into its infrastructure. The TWC merger would bring them even more antiquated kit in need of upgrade. Of course with all the delicate exec egos at risk, they'll try putting the best face on it.

8. asdf

sigh

Of course the narrative on this will be how Democrats are unfriendly to business instead of how Comcast doesn't give a fsck about the general public including even their own customers.

1. Tom 13

Re: sigh

If Demoncrats stopped being hell on business, they wouldn't have that problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon