back to article No, Optus: don't try US-style net neutrality arguments in Oz

Netflix has ignited the Internet neutrality debate in Australia, something that was previously not a major issue in the nation. The odd structure of Australia's Internet (compared to America's, at least) has long been criticised. Too few international links in too few hands makes connectivity to the US relatively expensive, …

1. Sampler

A bad joke

Australian internet is a terribly bad joke, I've been to third world countries with better connections.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A bad joke

<<Australian internet is a terribly bad joke, I've been to third world countries with better connections.>>

Yes, true. Meanwhile in the second world (Russia), here's fibre to the home @ 15–500 Mb/s for 300–2500 roubles (AU$8–65) per month. Unlimited traffic for all of those plans:

http://www.mts.ru/dom/gpon/home_inet/tariffs/

Yes, Moscow a big city, but so is Sydney. Food, petrol, and rent are all in the same ballpark, but not internet.

2. Mark Exclamation

Nothing wrong with Australian Internet...

I don't get it. Americans are constantly complaining about their ISPs, their quotas, and their speeds. Ditto the Brits and Europeans. And having read some of the comments the Americans make (just look to Ars) it would appear the Australian internet is far superior. I have ADSL2+, 500Gb per month quota (that's half a terabyte, which I'll never get near), and I am quite satisfied with my internet connection (I can download a gig in ten minutes). I certainly don't need the $70 beeellion NBN.

Not trolling, but the complaints the rest of the world are making make the Aussie internet look pretty good.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing wrong with Australian Internet...

Hi Malcolm!

How's that NBN coming along then?

1. Mark Exclamation

Wow, what a great, intelligent reply! No wonder you chose to be anonymous.

Is it really so bad to be satisfied with one's internet connection?

2. sms123

Yes, and you probably live near the exchange and get 20+Mbps. You didn't stop to think about anyone else who may be further from the exchange (like me getting under 3Mbps down where a gig takes a long longer than you).

Basically you're saying "F everyone else I'm ok". Ever thought what may happen if you move and you find yourself unable to get cable, ADSL, or you're far enough from the exchange that you only get 2-3Mbps or (shudder) have to rely on 3 or 4G wireless at extortionate prices?

3. jsbg

It is good to be proud downloading a gig in just ten minutes. I am ashamed to admit ringing my local ISP support line if a gig takes more than a minute or two. Spoiled by the link speed I can download up to 100 GB in a single day.

Now I am ashamed to be European...

3. mathew42
    FAIL

Speed tiers, quotas and a monopoly

Australia has the worst of both worlds: speed tiers and quotas. Historically we had Telstra as a monopoly provider which is being replaced by NBNCo as a monopoly provider.

Quotas make sense because it is the transferring data that places load on the network. If you have a 25Mbps connection or a 1Gbps connection streaming Netflix they will both be transferring about the same amount of data. Speed tiers with unlimited plans encourage wasteful consumption and restrict people to a speed they can afford.

4. petrosy

Optus can go...

Fk themselves!!!!!

This should be enough reason to leave that over-priced Telstra-Clone of an ISP!

5. Mark 65

but in reality we have always consumed less than quota.

To my mind that is, historically speaking, more related to the fear of what you'd be charged when breaching the quota rather than the lack of need for the data. ADSL per MB charges being a case in point.

1. mathew42

In Australia the vast majority of ADSL plans include a fixed quota and after you exceed the quota, your internet speed is slowed down typically to 128Kbps.

1. Mark 65

Those will be the plans you see today. There are plenty of people out there that would have connected with Telstra and never moved house. As such they would be on a shitty plan that includes lovely per MB data charges. Up until recently I knew people that still had such plans - Telstra won't prompt you to update - until I got them to switch.

6. Trebus

Still ignoring Telstra and Gang of Four

While the discussion around Net Neutrality is very interesting, it simply does not exist anyway in Australia.

As Telstra refuses peering arrangements with other ISPs and CDNs, abusing it's market power to extract a "Telstra Tax" from every other Australian internet user .

https://blog.cloudflare.com/the-relative-cost-of-bandwidth-around-the-world/

In the analysis of the availability of various plans with Quotas, it fails to address that the smallest Telstra plan appears to be more expensive than an Unlimited plan from a competitor such as TPG. Essentially, the quota analysis is misleading with reference to the price.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WHHHAAAAATTT????

"but in reality we have always consumed less than quota"

Quota:

From that I presume that you do not have a house full of teenagers playing online games and download WoW patches...

Speed:

I had faster speeds in Switzerland 10 years ago than I do now...my house is placed at the limit between 2 switches...Netflix? It would be quicker to post me the movie rather than me download it. I dream of getting a 25Mbps internet connection rather than 4 (5Mbps on a good day).

8. P. Lee

It's why I like iinet

They do the right thing and 'fess up properly if it goes pear-shaped for any reason.

Nice people to deal with.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like