back to article Tesco broadband goes TITSUP, world keeps turning on wobbly-wheeled trolley

Tesco's broadband service went titsup this afternoon and remained out of action as The Register went to publication. The UK's largest supermarket chain agreed to offload its fixed line broadband customer base of around 75,000 subscribers to TalkTalk in January this year. The network is in the process of being transferred over …

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

"....Talk Talk..."

I think that tells you all that you need to know

2. Leeroy
    FAIL

75000 subscribers

In the grand scheme of things 75000 subscribes is very small, still I wouldn't mind them being transferred to a BT wholesale account. .. hold on I'm just filling in the paperwork. ..should be an isp in 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. Shitty reseller ISP with one member of support staff is GO !

On a more serious note. If you make £1 profit per subscriber a month that's serious wonga !

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Demon offloading too.

Demon has sent out emails saying that part of the functionality of broadband user accounts has been transferred to intY Limited and Namesco. Apparently they will bill separately for the services that were "free" as an integral part of Demon accounts.

It looks like Demon will still charge for the broadband connection. However an acccount's web space, domain name, and email services for bog-standard "myuser.demon.co.uk" will be transferred and in future not be "free".

They took my one year advance broadband subscription recently - so it's a bit off if there is now more to pay on top of that to retain my email address. Losing the fixed IP address and web space is not a problem for me - but others may depend on them as part of their Demon subscription.

There is a suggestion that these "free" services will be chargeable 60 days after April 1st at an as yet unspecified rate.

Having read their explanation several times I still can't work out what is happening or when.

http://help.demon.net/announcements/important-service-change-transfer-of-demon-web-hosting-domain-and-email-products-to-inty-limited/

1. launcap Silver badge

Re: Demon offloading too.

<BoringOldFart-Mode=on>

I can remember when Demon were a proper ISP - in fact my first such. You always remember your first ISP..

Somewhere around 1992/3 I think. Along with Slackware 0.99pl15.

</BOF-Mode=Off>

1. Valarian

Re: Demon offloading too.

Ha. Ironically. Tesco *was* my first ISP. I actually have good memories of tesco.net from when I signed up to The Internets back in '95, until I needed moar lolcats and upgraded my 56kb Sportster modem to a wall-mounted ISDN connection from BT. For all I know, my account might even still exist...

4. arrbee
    Pint

Is "as the Register went to publication" the same as "as this journalist went to the pub" ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isnt tesco broadband actually outsourced to another national provider? Vitual operator style?

I didnt think tesco ran the actual infrastructure themselves...

1. TheOtherHobbes

With a £6.4bn loss for the year, they probably can't even afford a BT account.

Or a packet of biscuits.

2. Skoorb

Ye olde Tesco Broadband (tesco.net) used to be NTL over BTw Datastream rebranded. They then moved supplier after Openreach came into being and Datastream started to be replaced by WBC (also NTL subcontracted its ADSL contracts out to Fujitsu).

Tesco then changed wholesale supplier, and are now kicking the whole shebang off to TalkTalk.

6. Jock in a Frock
    Mushroom

Unexpected JCB in the digging area . . . .

1. PNGuinn
      Thumb Up

"Unexpected JCB in the digging area"

Many a true word....

Brilliant!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Dont Worry Tesco users

I am sure Aldi or Lidl will have an internet service up and running any day.

(Not a real Penguin, but something identical at half the price).

1. Skoorb

Re: Dont Worry Tesco users

Aldi spent a while selling holidays in Eastern Europe on the cheap for some reason, before they realised that was bizarre and stopped.

2. Warm Braw

Re: Dont Worry Tesco users

Although Aldi and Lidl have MVNOs in various places, they don't seem to do fixed line broadband.

Since they're both privately-held companies, they're not so much in thrall to the quarterly figures that they feel obliged to jump on every short-term revenue opportunity. I suspect that attaching your brand to a white-label broadband product has lots of potential for reputational damage and very little potential for long-term revenue of any consequence.

8. druck Silver badge
    Stop

The outage should come as a timely reminder to users migrate to a reputable ISP, before they get sucked in to the plague pit it that is Talk Talk.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like