back to article Nokia will be the mobile comeback kid in 2016 – wishful-thinking sources

Nokia is gearing up for a bombastic return to the smartphone world in 2016, according to new whispers. The Finnish firm's Nokia Technologies division has been quietly hiring staff, and already has products under development, with an eye to reenter the market next year, we're told. The second half of 2016, not coincidentally, …

1. Bob Vistakin
    Joke

But microsoft has roared so far ahead they can't ever be caught now

When they "killed" Nokia they had almost zero market share. Look how well they've done since - Nokia must be mad to try to overtake them. Didn't they learn anything from being told they were on a burning platform?

2. James 51

If they go back into 'developing markets' where they sold a lot of feature phones they could do quite well but may not be sufficiently profitable to keep analysts happy.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

The only problem is that they were getting slaughtered in developing markets too weren't they? Having surprised everyone by how long they could keep their production costs as low as the Chinese competition, they were finally losing that battle. Having already lost at the top end. Given how cheaply reasonable Android phones can now be produced, I can't believe there's much market space for feature phones.

Also, having sold the farm to MS, they've presumably lost all their distribution networks and expertise. Which was another thing they were great at for ages. That seems like an awful lot to try and build back from scratch.

3. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Time will tell

Do indeed read the Re/code blog for a more analytic view. As for the sentence "The question is, is this really a business that Nokia wants to be in? It didn't work out so well last time around." one could of course also say that the first time they tried they become market leaders.

4. juul

Jolla

They could buy, Jolla and they would have a new platform and some devices.

Jolla is former Nokia employees, so it would be an easy transision.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dust-off the archives

Nokia could be the "come back kid" so easily, and without spending a penny on development:

3310 and 6310i.

There is NOTHING on the market to rival the simplicity and build quality of these handsets, therefore completely ignoring the needs of those who do not want a smartphone, but similarly do not want the buggy, flimsy & cheap crap which is the only non-smartphone option available now.

Businesses would order 6310i s by the bucket-load, and I reckon the 3310 would fly too.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Re: Dust-off the archives

Great idea, and no-one to ruin it this time, either :-)

6. werdsmith Silver badge

Nokia certainly have the potential to do something a bit different and come roaring back.

What "didn't work out so well last time round" was in fact total domination until 2008 and sales domination beyond that.

But please Nokia, not Android. Please.

1. Just Enough

I'd love Nokia to re-enter the market with an Andriod-like OS, but without the annoying bits. Top of my list would be getting rid of the "all-or-nothing" access privileges model enforced by android apps.

If they got that right, I'd consider a Nokia. Either way, increased competition in the smart phone market has to be a good thing.

7. Nash

Nokia and Android

Nokia Phones, loaded with Android OS is a marriage made in heaven! - Nokia always made the best phones, and i think they have the Tech advancements now to make awesome phones with Android installed to make them iPhone killers. I'd buy one.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Nokia and Android

Android would be more of the same old same old.

Nokia should do something different, better. It won't take much.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Nokia and Android

Actually I think the model of success for Nokia will be a mob supporting either Android or alternative. Let the user choose the OS from a shortlist, as they prefer. Provide tools to allow data (contacts etc) to be retained between os changes (easy enough... just use google contacts in cloud I suppose).

Choice of OS would be the USP.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Microsoft will still be able to market dumbphones based on the System 40 and System 60'

Errr... isn't System 60 (aka S60) actually Symbian, which although very long in the tooth is still a smartphone OS isn't it?

Or have I been lied to that the N95 8GB that has laboured tirelessly as a backup device for me for years was never a smartphone in the first place?

1. Nash

i suppose the N95 was considered Smart in its Day, but by today's standards it can no longer be considered smart.

1. Darren B 1

Definition

If you look at the core offering there is little difference in the functions between S60 and latest gen Smart OS's, it is just that today's standards are refined to provide productivity, intelligence and performance. Application intelligence should not be confused with "smart" in smartphone.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/smartphone

smartphone

noun

a mobile phone that performs many of the functions of a computer, typically having a touchscreen interface, Internet access, and an operating system capable of running downloaded apps.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Definition

I'm pretty sure the article writer means Series 30 (dumb phone) and Series 40 (feature phone). MS have released Nokia-branded dumb phones in developing markets but I can't see them releasing a S60 phone, it's a Symbian phone.

2. Bob Vistakin
      Headmaster

Depends on how you define a smartphone. I say the acid test is if it can multitask properly, as indeed was seen on Symbian. Embracing full Linux naturally extends that to Android. More basic designs, such as the iPhone and anything from microsoft are more like enhanced feature phones in this respect.

9. Cookieninja

Jolla

Like someone else said, Jolla would have to be their way forward. It may even have been the plan all along. If I were Nokia, the way I'd go about it is keep the Jolla name, fund it and make the funding conditional on Nokia having first refusal in the event they go bust or decide to sell the company.

I wouldn't even consider re-branding their mobiles as Nokia until the Windows mobile fiasco is at least a couple more years in the past.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The future

1) Nokia gets back into the mobile business, does reasonable well.

2) Microsoft buys the new Nokia phone business (for many billions) to prop up their flagging mobile (after the 5 or 6 complete redo of the user interface)

3) Microsoft destroys it again

4) go back to step 1

11. fishman

Selling the name

I wouldn't be surprised if it really ends up being a Chinese company selling android phones who licenced the Nokia name.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like