back to article Web advertising giant (Google) to spew ads over web – using HTTPS

Google has vowed to serve ads over HTTPS from its massive advertising network. The move will make it easier for website owners to go fully SSL-protected, serving their webpages and ads over HTTPS rather than just the pages over HTTPS and mixing in ads over HTTP, which is insecure. It also means each ad and its link can't be …

1. Tromos

ads over HTTPS?

I'm fine with that. My hosts file will carry on preventing them getting through.

2. batfastad

Eh?

All our sites are forced-HTTPS and have DFP ads, served over HTTPS. Use a scheme-relative URL... //www.googletagservices.com/blah to load the initial JS and the rest of it is apparently handled. We've been running it that was for quite a few years IIRC.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

And just how many el-Reg readers have *.googletagservices.* and similar URL's blocked either by hosts file or tools such as NoScript?

Running fine?

Not on my PC's/Laptops they aren't.

Now we get news that Google is changing the way search results are displayed so that sites that favour mobile devices come first. F*** Y** Google. Not everyone uses a mobile device. Surely you can detect what sort of device the majority of your search requests come from. After all, you know everything else about us all including the size of our Inside Leg.......

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: Eh?

""Now we get news that Google is changing the way search results are displayed so that sites that favour mobile devices come first."

Find article, re-read, comprehend...oh never mind here you go...it was in the first paragraph so you did need to read past the headlines:

"Google has fiddled with its algorithms so that sites it deems to be "mobile-friendly" will .... be ranked higher .... if searched for from a mobile device."

3. Steve Knox

upgrade-insecure-resources

Did it work?

https://www.theregister.co.uk

Nope.

4. Ole Juul

a snoop is a snoop

Google's ad initiative follows the encryption of its Search, Gmail, YouTube, and Drive services, which is part of a wider effort by major tech players to use SSL to try to lock out crims and government snoops.

What about all the other *cough* snoops?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“By encrypting ads, the advertising industry can help make the internet a little safer for all users”

Perhaps screening out ads that serve malware might be a better contribution from the industry; infecting users hardly seems like a winning strategy for an increasingly unpopular business.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

ah, but now at least you will be securely infected.

6. oneeye

buy stock in adblockers,VPN's and other privacy software.

Because if you don't....they will slowly sell out to the advertiser's. Adblock plus comes to mind. Ghostery is doing the same. And Google just bought out InMobi who last year bought Kontera. And thhey are the ones for placing all those double underlined hyperlink pop-ups you see when browsing on mobile. Because how else are you going to get more ads onto tiny screens? I have never seen Chrome block one single pop-up. Probably because there is a size limit (-: so is it any wonder that websites are being forced to conform to mobile friendly layouts,or lose ranking in search. This two month deadline has been reached and now going into effect very soon. So now we know why El Reg did their redesign,right? Don't get me wrong,I like the new site now,and think you all did a bang up job, as I am only on mobile.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like