back to article Give Jay-Z's Tidal tune stream thing a chance, says indie label boss

Jay-Z’s much-mocked Tidal deserves a chance, says veteran British indie boss Martin Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt says the music industry should worry more about free and freemium services and offerings than piracy, and reminded us that digital sales are highly profitable – if you can make one. Goldschmidt started indie label …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

free

Give spotify a chance. Give piracy a chance.

Give touring or starving a chance.

2. phil dude
    Meh

saturation...

I have written this before, but we have become media saturated. The subjective assessment of good or even great music is prejudiced by what came before.

Hence, with an effectively infinite supply (from the perspective of a finite human), the cost will converge to zero, or a minimal cost.

Walmart here has a $5 DVD/$1 CD bin. Secondhand even cheaper. "Now that's what I call music 99"?

The only music they are left to control is the live performances, and artists have a habit of dying...

P.

1. Desidero

Re: saturation...

A lot of music from 40 years ago sounds horribly dated. There's always room for updated sound, and always room for a better melody, groove, wall of sound or occasionally an intelligent lyric might sneak through ( but poetry is a major casualty in today's market).

If things get too poppy, a new Throbbing Gristle or Einstuerzende Neubaten will come along to destroy. The music biz does invoke its own grim reapers.

3. Cliff

Rent an LP

(Or whatever they call collections of songs in the downloads age)

One reason I won't get involved (aside from the snake oil 'quality' thing) is that I just don't believe the business model is solid for the length of the rest of my life. If I buy a collection of songs from them digitally which will always be available to me as long as I keep my monthly account going - that's great if THEY keep going. But I'm not convinced they will. If they close the doors after 2 years, I've had some pretty crappy value compared with some MP3's

4. JP19

"reminded us that digital sales are highly profitable – if you can make one."

Or equally that digital sales are a rip-off and that is why you have trouble making them.

5. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Meh

Tell you what...

If that crowd make any music that doesn't sound like processed cheese, I might consider a purchase or two. Until that day - not bothered.

6. Turtle

Talk.

This Goldschmidt fellow needs to have a serious talk with Faza over at thecynicalmusician.com. Faza gonna learn him some economics.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only money in music...

... is for middle men pricks like Simon Cowell who are taking the majority cut of profit from the manufactured pap music they have created and the great unwashed masses who consume this drivel.

1. Desidero

Re: The only money in music...

Simon Cowell keeps people glued to the TV for unknown acts - roughly akin to Don Kirschner in the 60's. Whether I like most of the acts, it encourages people to make their own music rather than sampling or listening to archaic Beatles and U2 mp3's. Sure, I'd rather they played instruments too, but most these days can't be bothered with heavy lifting and practice.

8. Grifter

So... Andy Chen CEO of Tidal and some 20ish others just left the company, the remaining tidal people are claiming to be streamlining themselves

So there's that, RIP Tidal.

9. Mike VandeVelde
  10. Zot

Stop telling me what do!

It may be good, it may be crap. I JUST DON'T FRACKING WANT TO - OKAY!

1. Turtle

@Zot Re: Stop telling me what do!

"It may be good, it may be crap. I JUST DON'T FRACKING WANT TO - OKAY!"

If you don't like being told what to do, you might find that you've come to the wrong planet.

1. Zot

Re: @Zot Stop telling me what do!

Oh boohooo...

That's YOUR world.

11. Ru'

I was going to comment about their business landscapes changing and the music industry utterly failing to keep up, but I did that on the last article about this particular streamium service and it got nuked for no clear reason at all. So I won't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I was going to comment about their business landscapes changing and the music industry utterly failing to keep up, but I did that on the last article about this particular streamium service and it got nuked for no clear reason at all. So I won't."

Maybe you can sell that tune as an MP3 called "Call the Whaaambulance"

12. Tommoxyz

I don't know is people have seen this but it's very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEsJqtiU-2A

13. Annie_Yazbeck

Give Tidal a choice I'd like to. It comes with so amazing music quality, CD-qualtiy audio, and MQA quality audios.

It needs a high premium but it worths really.

Besides, I also get Tidal and AudFree Tidal Music Converter to work together to convert Tidal music to FLAC, WAV, AAC, etc. so that I can also listen to high-quality files on my MP3 player well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like