back to article What's that THUD sound? It's your Lumia's best feature after unflashing Windows 10

Microsoft has temporarily pulled builds of Windows 10 for certain Lumia phones from the Windows Insider program, after some customers reported that trying to roll back to Windows Phone 8.1 killed their mobes. "We are seeing some reports of failures on Lumia 520/525/526 devices when trying to roll back to Windows Phone 8.1 …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Well, there's always Cyanogen

oh wait.....

2. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

Tut tut tut

Way to go on getting that market share above floor noise.

1. RyokuMas
      Paris Hilton

Re: Tut tut tut

Way to go on reading before posting.

Of course, the fact that this is a technical preview build - install at your own risk - and the models that are getting bricked have only just been added doesn't matter...

"Me see windowz fone article... me must post..."

Of course, this does not for one moment excuse Microsoft for dropping a bollock (again!), but please, El Reg, please, please can we have a mechanism for hiding or auto-withdrawing posts that get enough downvotes?

1. SolidSquid

Re: Tut tut tut

The article mentions at least one person using the system recovery tool *without* installing the technical preview though, which implies that the issue is the recovery tool rather than the technical preview

3. Tommy Pock

I know reality TV

Windows 10 is going nowhere near my 1020. Oh no. Uh-uh.

Until I get bored on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

1. Hellcat

Re: I know reality TV

I got bored/brave/drunk earlier this week.

My 1020 seems to have survived - will hold off attempting to undo my rash decission until the stability of the 8.1 recovery tool has been looked into. A colleague who's 1020 has been crashing and generally not behaving itself since he got it from Fleebay managed the 8.1 - 10 - 8.1 dance, but wouldn't recognise his SIM on 10, and crashed during recovery, but despite the odds is back to its oringinal crashing on 8.1.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I know reality TV@ Hellcat

You're really selling it to me, the whole Windows phone/Nokia package.

1. Hellcat

Re: I know reality TV@ Hellcat

Mines been rock solid stable, and even on 10 tech preview, which is full of alpha and beta software it's still not crashing. Given there are reports of the 8.1 roll back tool not working, it would be pretty stupid to run it. A bit like patching to iOS 8.0.1 after the reports of how good it was?

4. Mark 85

I've seen this before..

It's the one where they never test in house but let the customers do the testing... much sadness usually follows. It's a stupid idea and it's brought companies who have done to bankruptcy. This crap should have been found in-house before letting Joe Tester find his phone is bricked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've seen this before..

which is cheaper?

1) paying for proper in house testing?

2) replacing a few " external testers" phones and marketing making sure everyone knows they were replaced and that "this is only test software with no warranty"!!

5. Tommy Pock

Ignore the title of my previous comment. No idea how that got there; I'll turn my phone off and on again.

6. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Joke

Who'da thunk it?

Something that makes Windows 8.1 actually preferable?!? Wow. Just... wow. *

* full disclosure. I am a Lumia 635 owner. I actually like Win8.1 on my phone but agree it is an abomination on PCs.

1. DaddyHoggy

Re: Who'da thunk it?

Windows 8.1 seems to be slowly invading my household.

My 13yo has a Lumia 630 which came with 8.1 installed, she loves it - so who am I to argue.

We now have two Win 8.1 laptops in the house - with classic shell running over the top - both machines boot faster than they did under 7 but with classic shell mostly still feel like Win7 machines.

When renewing her mobe contract with Three, my wife was given an 'incentive' to stay with them - an Acer Iconia 8W - it too has 8.1 - oddly enough this is my least fave device - although with a Bluetooth mouse and Keyboard I can use it as a Word processor and it outperforms my old Asus 1015PX netbook (horrid Win7 Starter) and, although only an 8" screen rather than 10", the 1280x800 resolution is much more useful than the netbook's 1024x600 and it's just 'nicer' to look at too (which is useful when editing a novel))

Suum cuique, of course.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why are manufacturers making phones that can brick?

Surely a single, simple bootloader that cannot be changed and therefore always accessible via a boot key sequence is not that hard to implement?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

I think that is the issue, the hard reset is not working.

Just to balance things, I've had the same with an Android phone where it "died" with the little dead robot and the button combos just failed to work.

2. P. Lee

>Why are manufacturers making phones that can brick?

+10

All you need is something that listens for DHCP requests from a client saying, "I'm a dead WinPhone, HELP!" from a boot rom and which then kindly uploads a known good image. Dual flash banks and you're all good.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There never was meant to be an upgrade path from Nokia

Microsoft need to step back a bit and look at what chaos and damage they are causing to the Windows Brand. Microsoft should just admit it, there was never meant to be an upgrade path to Windows 10 for Nokia Devices.

Rearranging the deck chairs might seem a good idea, but throwing them around the room, wasn't meant to be part of the solution. (Microsoft keep using the same unloved Metro deckchairs too, and no one's willing to put their head into no-mans land, and say - 'failure')

Microsoft - Stop rushing, work methodically, get Previews out - fine, but each new added feature needs to be complete and working, not a bag of tangled wool. iOS isn't going anywhere new for a while, but iOS does make updates look like child's play compared to f'in Windows Update.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: There never was meant to be an upgrade path from Nokia

Hard to see what part of the article you're addressing in that comment.

This is not a customer update; it's a developer preview release, and you're expected to understand the risks involved with installing software onto your phone that hasn't been signed off as fit for release. (As you bring up iOS, you might consider what iOS 8.0.1, an allegedly QA'd and released build, did to customer phones: nobody's perfect)

Don't know where you get the idea that there's no upgrade to 10 for Lumia devices: 10 is effectively the same kernel as 8, just with new applications. (Desktop and Phone "Windows" OSes already share a kernel - it was making this change that dead-ended the Windows Phone 7.x series). If the phone has the CPU power to service those new applications, then 10 will go onto the phone. Simple as that.

I would never, ever put a preview OS build onto my primary device, be it a phone or a PC. I've been looking at the desktop 10 builds with a VM, and I'm thinking of buying a SIM-free 6xx to put the 10 builds onto, though, for testing purposes.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has anyone tried

the Nokia Retail Flasher??

That brings a lot of "bricked" phones back from the dead...

10. hplasm
    Devil

The Red* Brick of Death

* other fancy colours are available!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Red* Brick of Death

Its NOT a windows failure until you get a BLUE screen of death............

getting my coat now..

11. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Windows ain't done until Windows won't run! Oh, wait...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like