back to article British Columbia stray foot tally hits six

The British Columbia stray foot tally yesterday reached a round half dozen with the discovery of a size 10 right foot wearing a black Adidias trainer which turned up on a beach in Vancouver Island. According to CTV, the foot was found by a woman collecting rocks who quickly ran for help and encountered one Sandra Malone, who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve K
    Coat

Urban Leg-end

Is this an example of an urban leg-end?

IGMC

Steve

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Thats where I left it...

I have been looking for my foot for ages... How can I get it back?

3. dervheid
    Joke

Must be coming from...

"Foot Locker"

4. Carl
    Thumb Up

It seems to me...

...that given that all but one of the feet was a right foot, the left foot wasn't actually a left at all. It's much more likely that the 'left' foot actually belonged to some guy who couldn't dance....

On the other hand, there is potentially some black market trade going on where someone with two left feet can order a new right foot on t'interweb. Obviously, the vessel carrying all the orders was involved in some sort of mishap - if it hadn't happened, we could potentially have been investigating a spate of left feet washing up off the coast of Devon, unwanted after the 'dancing op'...

5. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Alien

disarticulation

So, the feet weren't cut off, they were ripped off.

I don't know of many sharks with opposable thumbs, so who's doing the ripping? Unless someone can come up with another explanation as to why only feet are turning up (and mostly right ones at that)? <perhaps the right shoes are inedible>

6. Jamie
    Linux

Proof at last.

This is proof that big foot exists. He is grabbing stray hikers, holding them by the feet as he eats them, then throws away the foot he was holding. The left foot is proof that he is ambidextrous.

Alternatively it could be a big squid (kraken) that is taking sailors and eating some but throwing away the foot which he/she holds with a tentacle.

7. andy gibson
    Coat

Quote from Sandra Moore...

Sandra Malone, who recounted: "I got the chills right away. You know, I got pretty grossed out."

Had she been watching Grease?

"I got chills, they're multiplying".

I wonder is grossed out = losing control?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

A Thing from another world maybe?

Remember the hand that came alive when the temperature rose. Maybe these feet will start walking by themselves once out of the water. Maybe they're even beginning to breed! Handy for people with foot fetishes though.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Bootnote - classic!

Boots - Shoes - Feet, I get it!

10. Paul Stephenson
    Joke

Leg?

"The object will ultimately be examined by a forensic pathologist in attempts to determine the source of the foot"

Surely the source of the foot was a leg?

11. Chris Miller
    Unhappy

How many have not been found?

The coast of BC includes some pretty sparsely populated areas. If 6 of these feet have been located, there surely must be many more lying around waiting to be found.

12. Glenn
    Dead Vulture

Coroner says Foot Traffic is way up

Alternative headline ... Going to beach no way to get ahead

LOL

13. Les Matthew
    Thumb Up

Call Sherlock Holmes in.

The games afoot.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

footage

can we have some footage?

15. Adam Dawson

Should the tally reach 660 feet..

..then I think the Reg has been running this story furlong enough..

16. Dangermouse

@dervheid

Or even.....Davy Jones' foot locker!!

I thank you.

17. Duncan
    Coat

somethings

a-foot

18. Leo Rampen
    Thumb Up

@Sir Runcible Spoon

I read an article on this topic a few months ago which said that as part of the decomposition process, limbs, feet etc often fall off. It seems that these feet are just naturally detaching from their owners bodies as they decompose. It's surprising there hasn't been any other limbs though.

19. Chris

re: disarticulation

I don't it's significant that the majority of them are right feet, it's probably just down to chance.

I'd imagine that it's only the feet that are being washed up mainly because shoes float and the rest of the body has been eaten/decomposed and broken up.

20. Solomon Grundy

@Sir Spoon

For pathology disarticulation means just coming off. They suspect that the feet may belong to people who were in a small plane that crashed into the water last year and disappeared. Now the skin is decomposing and the feet are floating to the top because they are still inside shoes - feets are one of the first things to fall off you know.

It doesn't explain why there is only left foot. But hey. My explanation is better than a Canadian serial killer.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Sir Runcible Spoon

Feet wash up because when a body decomposes, the ankle joints come apart. Then the buoyant footware causes the feet to float and end up on a beach somewhere. So they need to be looking for some gangsters who didn't bother with the concrete overshoes, or indeed the sensible option of wrapping the victims in chicken wire so tell-tale bits don't go floating away.

22. Martin Owens
    IT Angle

Where does

the register find it's reader that comment? some of those jokes were dreadful. Footage indeed!

23. Dave Wallace

With this newest foot,

it's moved from an unfathomable mystery to a fathomable one.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

There's just sbd really unadept with the spade

Toes are scarce among veteran blubber-room men.

25. toby powell-blyth
    Alien

The sixth foot appears to have been _cut_ off

Or so sayeth the woman who found it:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=f5fb1894-df01-4b58-97d8-b9ee3c88a9ac

"You could see the two bones sticking right above the ankle part of the shoe and it was straight. It didn't look jagged. It looked like it had been cut."

@Andy Gibson:

With a name like Sandra Mallone, I think a character from Grease is right on the mark...

It's electrifying!

26. Sam

It's viral marketing

..for trainers.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Movie: My Left Foot..

I think this might be a case of coastal erosion ...... of the foothills. If it spreads to the headlands this will get ridiculous !

Yes, I am ashamed of myself.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No shortage of serial killers in that part of the world

Someone wrote, "My explanation is better than a Canadian serial killer."

Well, I mean it's not like the Pacific Northwest area has a shortage of serial killers or anything... lessee here, a little to the south in Washington state there was Ted Bundy, Gary Ridgway, and in B.C. (Canada) there was that pig-farmer guy who killed a bunch of people... am I forgetting anyone? (and those were just the ones that got caught!) nah, couldn't be serial killers... just because that area (B.C. and WA, especially WA) seems to produce more serial killers than anyplace else in the world, we wouldn't want to be thinking stereotypically or anything now... ;)

29. Darkside
    Black Helicopters

Not the air accident then...

...since four casualties don't normally have five right feet.

You'd think they could tell *something* from the trainers. Were they sport trainers or fashion ones, genuine branded or fake, same month's style or all different ages, what secret compartments for samples of dodgy white powders, kinda thing.

Looks like a conspiracy to me.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so that's what happened to the French football team...

All right, I guess that explains our dreadul participation in the Euro. We might have noticed that half the team was lacking in right feet, though.

No need to send those back right away, we don't need them anymore. Perhaps in 2010, but then again I'm not holding my breath.

Disguted Frenchman

31. Dan Caugherty
    Alien

The truth is .. well, you know.

If only the "X-Files" production team never left Vancouver for Hollywood. Mulder and Scully could have cracked this case already.

32. hi_robb
    Joke

And I thought

That sole were actually overfished, there seems plenty of them over in BC.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Best foot forward...

Which is why they're almost all right feet.

If all we're getting are right feet, I wonder what's left?

34. Unkle Al
    Coat

For all those waiting for

the other show to drop...this is your sign.

35. E

Extraordinary Rendition

Are the feet from 'terrorists'?

36. Chris
    Joke

Canada is metric

Since they are on the metric system, Canadians obviously have no use for feet, so they are apparently just discarding them.

-Chris

37. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

that's nothing

I once found 3 feet in my yard.

going now...

38. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Could this be the...

Dexter season 3 trailer?

"Dexter moves to Canadia after Florida gets too hot...goes after all BC's undiscovered serial killers"

Stuck between halo and horns - Dexter is conflicting good/evil...

39. ImaGnuber

googlefoot

googling "necrophiliac foot fetish canada" produced 477,000 hits. Didn't want to look any further. Don't know if I should be more worried about commentors who get into proper methods of disposing of bodies - wire mesh etc. Please advise.

40. Graham Marsden
    Coat

I already did the...

... Six Feet Under gag...

41. Glen

The washing machine that is the ocean...

you can never find a matching pair when you need to.

42. Keith T

very suspicious

You can read more about this here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080618.wfoot0618/BNStory/National/home

43. Alex
    Dead Vulture

The foot not human, perhaps a vulture's?

"Remains found in a shoe near Campbell River, B.C., Wednesday are not human, the B.C. Coroners Service said Thursday.

"The BCCS, along with a forensic pathologist and an anthropologist, examined the remains and determined that an animal-paw skeleton had been inserted into the shoe with a sock and packed with dried seaweed, according to a press release."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080619.wfoot0619/BNStory/National/home

44. Ciaran McHale
    Joke

Binge drinking

I blame it all on binge drinking. It results in people getting legless.

45. Damon

Had a spare

Had two left feet, learned to dance, got rid of one. What's the big deal?

46. Charles Manning

@toby powell-blyth

Cut off?

She was grossed out, yet she inspected it closely enough to know that it was cut off vs rotted off? She's a trained pathologist that can tell the difference?

Eye witness soundbites are mostly bullshit: people saying stuff that they don't know anything about. "It sounded like a bomb going off!"- how many people have really heard bombs going off?

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Paul Stephenson

OK, that was friggin hillarious!

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HEY! Give that back!

Thats my foot - I only left it there whilst I went for some mustard FGS!

I must admit, the leg wasn't bad though ... a bit chewy around the knee.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

har har @ all

Why would they waste their time looking for the non-leg source of the foot?

Is someone seriously going to be charged for pulling their leg?

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Solomon says:

''feets are one of the first things to fall off you know.''

Feets? Are you suggesting there's a good chance all the feets came from the one person? How many do people in B.C have ? Bad radiation problem there?

This topic is closed for new posts.