back to article Graphene spintronics crowned latest Moore's Law extender contender

Wonder material graphene could provide the basis for the future of circuitry, by using a technique known as spintronics, boffins have mused. Spintronics uses the spin of individual electrons as the encoding method for data. This is significantly smaller than using charge, which requires thousands of electrons. Unfortunately, …

1. h4rm0ny
    Alert

Wow.

They seem to have leapt past the "we can make science fiction real" stage and gone right to "we can make science fiction sound passé" stage. Passing information between single electrons in a way that can scale to usable solutions?

Is this real or madness. Or both?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      1. Martin Budden Silver badge
    2. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Wow.

They seem to have ... gone right to "we can make science fiction sound passé" stage

Show me a positronic brain and I will cede the point. Still, good stories should inspire and, by extension, good science fiction should inspire scientists. Pretty cool stuff.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Never Ready

"This seems to be contradictory... Unless he just talking about processors when he says nobody has tested it in a practical device?"

It's unclear from the short snippets in the article and little surrounding context but spintronics is a broad field arguably more united under an umbrella buzzword than anything else. Existing applications have largely concerned essentially magnetic storage - hard drives and FeRAM. Another branch is more attracted to the possibilities of exploiting the electrical properties more for use as a switching element. It's vaguely similar to HP's hyperbole regarding the memristor - the first proposed application is as nonvolatile memory but use to implement logic gates has already been posited.

3. elDog

What happened to Johann Johannson?

A team led by Professor Saroj Dash at Chalmers ...

Dash’s colleague Dr Venkata Kamalakar Mutta told EETimes...

---

Many (most) of our (I'm in the USofA) learned articles are now published by people that have names that appear to come from far away. I really miss seeing the names of Bubba Jones or Sarah Paling on our learned journals. What's the world coming to?

Seriously, tho. I think this is the way it should be and I'd like to see my grandchildren end up with lots of mixed up names and ethnicities.

1. Little Mouse

But - superhero or Supervillian?

But with a name like Professor Dash, he's bound to fall victim to one of his own well-intentioned but over-ambitious experiments.

Personally I'd cut him some slack.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What happened to Johann Johannson?

"Many (most) of our (I'm in the USofA) learned articles are now published by people that have names that appear to come from far away."

Blame the US policy of having universities with huge tuition fees and an educational system that works against ordinary Americans. Unfortunately the practice of overpaying administrative staff (and having far too many of them) is spreading over here, where the highest paid vice chancellor rules some dim former poly.

4. frank ly

I'm confused

" ... a logical component that, not unlike a transistor, is made up of graphene and magnetic materials."

That sounds totally unlike a transistor.

1. PNGuinn
      Coat

Re: I'm confused

Or a cup of warm tea.

1. knarf

Ah the brownian motion, I'll get my towel

1. ravenviz Silver badge

Now you're just teasing!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon