back to article Amazon CTO destealths to throw light on AWS data centre design

Ask Amazon about its AWS data centres and you’ll get get this response: Amazon doesn’t talk about its data centres. Until its chief technology officer pitches in, that is. Werner Vogels closed London’s AWS Summit Wednesday by cracking open a little the black curtain that hides Amazon’s data centres from the world during a …

1. JonW

Audio on a server

With the big man on this - what possible use is it in 99.999% of deployments? Pretty sure it was still present in the last lot of SM boxes we rolled out and was certainly in Dells before we booted them into touch...

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: Audio on a server

I'm thinking there might be some kind of legacy reason for it or its there for edge cases for whatever reason. Then again, the first server I ever owned and built, the remnant of which are a P2 Xeon and its mainboard that I have on my wall, needed a sound card if you wanted sound.

I never saw the need. I had a regular PC if I wanted sound.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

What's the difference between a server motherboard and a high end workstation?

Answer: The location of the box.

So you design one MB to serve both roles.

Cost savings for the hardware vendor. So what's a few watts of power?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"AWS is becoming to many what Windows once was: a platform for doing business."

LOL @ utter claptrap. Azure is about to overtake Amazon AWS for total revenue. And it already makes more profit.

1. Naselus

Not sure how you'd know that, given that Amazon doesn't publish either figure.

2. pjuk77
        Facepalm

No idea where you are getting your info from but according to this article on Forbes AWS is generating 10X the revenue of Azure.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumbus/2015/04/15/sizing-microsoft-azure-and-amazon-aws-revenue/

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/28/azure_catching_up_on_aws/

2. James 47

Dropped connections

Did he explain why AWS continually drops established TCP connections to other AWS machines?

3. John 104

Sales Pitch?

This article was more sales pitch and regurgitating known practices than revealing of how big As infrastructure is set up. Yawn...

4. Stevie

Bah!

"There am many things in a traditional server environment that puzzles me."

Fixed it for him.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like