back to article Scientists tail whales, hails their tales of record 14,000-mile migration

The habits and movements of three highly evolved creatures have been tracked by scientists using sophisticated technology for more than five months, The Register can reveal. Bio-boffins collected copious amounts of data on the three Western Pacific Grey Whales — Vavara, Agent and Flex — who were tracked from Russia via Alaska …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Simon Harris
    Thumb Up

+1 for the title.

see title.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

No shit sherlock

Large marine mammal in it's own back yard travels from one end of the yard to the other by going about it's normal business.

Blinks eyes as he realised just how unamazing this "record" really is...

I honestly believed that the article would have provided a little more than "Whale does it's business"

What's next : Giraffe filmed whilst eating leaves on a tall tree...

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

A 'Whale of a Story'

Coat, going home.

5. Little Mouse

I'm more intrigued to know how you attach a tracker to something that big.

Does it involve making new holes somewhere in the afformentioned 30-ton carnivorous behemoth? I can see a flaw in that plan.

Or maybe they used a XXXL collar? That might work...

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: I'm more intrigued to know how you attach a tracker to something that big.

Yeah, it's a small dart-like bit that is fired from a harpoon gun that embeds itself into the whale's blubbery flesh. Goes in relatively painless, somewhere between getting a shot and having a piercing put in (Well that's what the evidence suggests, at least. But not much research has been done).

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Is that the "research" the Japanese do in the Southern Ocean every year? Shooting metal stuff into whales to see what happens?

1. Mark 85

Ah... no. The Japanese use a barb bit of metal with an explosive in it. Then they research the target for damage and tastiness.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Western Grays were pretty much wiped out.

They used to winter down around Southern China, and then move north towards Alaska and Russia in the summer. I'm fairly sure that whales that winter in Mexico don't qualify as western pacific Grays, at least in the classical sense.

(It's too early in the morning for me to string together some kind of faux-witty "50 Shades of Grey" reference)

1. Lars Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Western Grays were pretty much wiped out.

What a problem, what should a whale do/prove in order to qualify as a "western pacific Gray".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's one of those questions where if you have to ask it, you obviously don't qualify :)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Joke

"what should a whale do/prove in order to qualify as a "western pacific Gray".

Produce at least three different forms of ID including at least one utility bill with it's name and address on it and photo ID. Alternatively, it can sign in via Facebook.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooops

I thought this referred to journalistic story about tracking the daily lives of our political leaders - until I read "highly evolved individuals"....

Vote for the whales !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ooops

You're assuming the whales would want us as constituents....

8. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Whale Tail

My sub conscience read it differently.

Still, that's a very impressive Whale's Tail in the photo.

Vavara: Paris, my dear, THIS is a Whale Tail

9. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Call the OSU!

It certainly feels as if this surveillance study, one of the most intrusive to date, raises more questions than it answers - not least in the area of whale surveillance data ethics.

Would it be ethical if the researchers promised to delete the gathered data after a reasonable period of time and responded promptly and truthfully to questions posed by elected officials? Besides, this data is invaluable in preventing orca attacks. It's to keep the Western Pacific Grey Whale population safe! Won't someone think of the calves?

10. Google

"...a new world record for the longest migration path of any mammal..."

This raises the question, what's the longest migration path of humans? And does their record count as a mammalian one?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Human Migration

UK to New Zealand and back in one year?

1. Google
        Meh

Re: Human Migration

It doesn't count unless we're walking there and back?

11. Herbert Fruchtl
    Trollface

They are doing it all wrong

You don't just tag and track whales. If you want to study whales properly, you kill them on sight, cut them up, and sell them as food. Just ask the nation with the greatest interest in whale research.

Alternatively, blast them with sonar until they beach themselves, and then pretend you weren't even in the area.

12. Mark 85

Obligatory...

Save the Whales!!!! Collect the whole set!!!

13. Andrew Meredith

"please alert UKIP"

Really ??!

This is just getting very very boring. You are supposed to be a geek news sheet, not political satirists .. not that the above counts for much in the way of comedy or satire.

UKIP have explained till they're blue in the face that they do not like *uncontrolled*immigration*. They have no problem with immigrants themselves (Farage married one), they are just following the rules and doing what they are allowed to do.

If someone blew up a damn upstream and flooded several cities. Would you blame the water, the bloody great hole in the damn or the muppet that blew it up in the first place. The water is just doing its "seek the lowest point" thing. The hole is the inevitable result of the muppet with the TNT. The real culprit is the muppet.

Now get back under your "I'm a left winger and every thought I have is the gospel truth" rock and stay there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon