back to article Scouts' downed Compass database won't be back 'til autumn

The Scout Association will not have its troubled Compass database — which holds the details of 450,000 young people and volunteer adults — restored to operation until early autumn. The Compass database was taken down in January following revelations by El Reg that members had raised serious concerns over the security of the …

1. SolidSquid

Seems like they're taking the "Be Prepared" approach to whether their system has been compromised or not, independent audit and shutting down the system until it can be secured seems to be pretty much bang on what they should do (outside of, y'know, securing it in the first place)

2. getHandle

Thanks for the update

Guess they're too embarrassed to tell us directly...

3. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    Holmes

Huh?

<In an update this week the association acknowledged that it had been "extremely difficult to carry out many Scouting tasks without a functioning database".>

Pretty sure they didn't have a database when the Scout movement started, nor for most of its history. Yet somehow Scouts were able to carry out Scouting tasks despite this lack of contemporary technology.

Their statements don't seem very "Scouty".

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Huh?

Except now they are required to keep a database of all the volunteers and make that available to the authorities - BP didn't have to bother with police vetting.

1. VinceH
        Joke

Re: Huh?

"BP didn't have to bother with police vetting."

And that's how he was able to get away with scouting for boys. ;)

4. Archaon
    Coat

Be Prepared...

"Kids, go and camp in the woods. We'll be over here in the car trying to find out how this pencil and paper thing works."

5. Little Mouse
    Devil

Grumpy old man

This would never have happened when I were a lad. You'd never have caught us stuffing up the centralization of disparate data onto a single nationwide database.

Kids today, I ask you.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

issues were around "potential access"...no one has hacked or broken into the system

I imagine this means that there's no evidence of intrusion: given issues about "potential access" then even if access is fully logged these records would have to be cross-checked somehow ("Scoutmaster Biggins, where were you on the night of the 17th? Logged in and downloading contact addresses?"). It's possible of course that the system is designed with multiple audit trails & so on, but if it was carefully designed and implemented they wouldn't be in the current pickle anyway.

Kudos though for reacting promptly and prudently, and discussing it frankly: many a professional organisation could do worse than go and get badges in a System Fuckup Postmortems and Avoiding the Streisand Effect

Re: issues were around "potential access"...no one has hacked or broken into the system

IIRC from the original el'reg story - the security was pretty poor and their response was basically that it didn't need to be secure because it was private and could only be used by authorised users anyway. That fell down slightly when it turned out that the authorised users where accessing it over the internet and were "authorised" by the same poor security.

7. Tikimon
    Unhappy

Stuck in the past?

I don't know about their upper leadership, but the boots-on-the-ground Scout leaders are often way behind the times. It wouldn't surprise me to find out the top levels are stuck in the 50's as well.

I used to work at an outdoor chain (REI) in camping. Father/son combos came in all the time with "required gear" lists from their scoutmasters that totally ignored decades of improved gear design. Cotton and flannel clothing, external frame packs, pup tents, kitchen-sized pots and pans. As often as possible we would steer them to better, lighter gear and tech fabrics (for a good price, no sales commission involved). We used that old junk when I was a Scout, I know what it's like.

I believe our too-urban populations need something like Scouting, but it seems like the BSA are mired in the past. Just one man's opinion based on limited data...

1. Mike Taylor

Re: Stuck in the past?

There's no relationship between the British and US scouting organisations, other than fraternal. In the UK, it's a modern movement of growing popularity. Kit is certainly not the heavy damp canvas of my childhood, can't speak to the IT though

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The first computer programmer I knew was my Scout Leader - back in the late 1970s and most of the leaders I have known are in same era as most others of similar age. However the committees running the local groups and districts are generally where I have seen those who may be described as "stuck in the past", but then no one else wants to volunteer to do these rather thankless task.

When it comes to computers and the Internet UK's HQ was many years behind some of the rank and file members.

I think most of the complaints about Scouting is that it isn't stuck in the past enough.

You now get badges for Tweeting and using Facebook but never start a fire, carry a penknife or go outside because it's too dangerous.

3. Colonel Mad

REI is an American company, so this comment is irrelevant.

8. Alan Sharkey

I'm chairman of our local scout group and we had input ALL our data into Compass before it got shut down. Its supposed to do everything from basic checks to recording badges to manaaging leaders acheivements.

So, now we have to either do it manually or go to an alternate system (yes there is one). Guess what - we are not waiting till the autumn. Luckily we do have all the entry sheets so it's not as big a job the second time around.

9. JohnMcL

Where I am it's already autumn.

In future recognise the GLOBAL nature of the Internet and The Register. Say "NH autumn" if you must, or Q3 (as in third quarter of the year) or just say "about October".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Yes, I'm sure Vulture South feel the same way ;-)

2. getHandle

> GLOBAL

Did you want The Reg to clarify that it is the _UK_ Scout Association they are talking about too?

10. Stevie

Bah!

No database?

Gad! What a kick in the ging-gang-goolies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like