back to article Jawbone Up4 tapcash wristjob: Get BONKING with the latest sweaty hipster toy

After deciding you deserve a cappuccino — earned following a particularly good workout — you can now use your Jawbone UP4 bracelet to pay for it. Jawbone, which makes cool Bluetooth things, has done a deal with Amex to add a pay-by-bonk account to its exercise-measuring wrist decoration. The $199 UP4 will initially only allow …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Justicesays
    Devil

So, it has to have an NFC capable terminal AND take Amex?

So, where is this one coffee shop located?

3. Yugguy

How does a bracelet "help" you sleep?

"You look like you're going to sleep. Shall I sing you a lullaby"

4. Wombling_Free

Is it too much too hope?

For a piece of hardware from Jawbone that isn't totally crap?

I was given an UP2, which got sent back 3 times due to button falling off.

The fourth time the button fell off I just put it in a drawer and left it there.

5. Regbs

I know I'm not the only sucker who clicked on this article expecting pay by bonk to mean something else.

1. Archaon
      Coat

"I know I'm not the only sucker who clicked on this article expecting pay by bonk to mean something else."

You're thinking of pay to bonk...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mark 85
      Coat

That would require some surgery and a chip implant... not for the faint of heart. And there's the problem of bonking the machine at checkout. Might get you arrested in some parts of the world.

6. Ben Bonsall

Year of NFC

Doesn't sound half so interesting as Year of Bonking.

7. dogged

waterproof?

So did they crack the waterproofing thing or not?

1. Thomas Wolf

Re: waterproof?

Apparently not. The UP3 I think ended up with IP67 certification - ok to wash hands with and maybe take into the shower - but not for prolonged submersion as in swimming. So the UP4 just adds heart monitoring and this insecure payment feature (who cares that it uses "tokens" - someone can still just steal your UP4 and pay for stuff before you report it stolen.

8. TechGuy456

Watching with interest

I had a similar experience with the second Jawbone UP band. Three bands had three different faults within the first year. After the third failed I took it back to the Apple store who gave me a refund.

I see the design has changed to be more like a watch strap which may make it less prone to failure.

Hopefully they will also allow you to disable bluetooth as well.

1. keith_w

Re: Watching with interest

Probably not, since this will be how they communicate with the health app.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon