back to article Boost your attachment size with this one weird trick

Microsoft has increased the maximum attachment size accessible to users of Outlook Web Access (OWA) under Office 365, with 150MB of digital baggage now able to hop aboard emails. Admins worried about blowing storage allowances and congested networks needn't worry: Microsoft makes it possible to dial permitted total attachment …

1. mr. deadlift

damn, Clippy's been busy.

making lots of little Clippys.

"It looks like you're trying to write a letter... never forget, MS we wont.

2. nanchatte

This article's title triggered...

..my innate Buzzfeed filter. I had to overcome the urge to ignore it.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: This article's title triggered...

Think Reg innuendo - what might an "attachment" refer to? Okay, yes, we're juvenile. Part of our charm, I've been told. Occasionally.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Coat

Re: This article's title triggered...

Well I stuck my (extra large naturally) attachment into our Exchange server, as you suggested. And now I have lacerations, major burns and pustulating blisters.

Where's my compensation?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. psyvenrix
    Unhappy

bad baggage

Oh FML. Aussie sysadmin here.

I can hear the support calls generated as clients try to email each other monster sized excel spreadsheets and then wonder why their web browsing speeds crawl to a halt as one workstation saturates the upstream of the bog standard Australian Liberal Govt approved ADSL link.

I consider my self a light drinker, that is, i start drinking when i see light... after this i may become a nocturnal drinker...

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

No, never increase attachment size limits

Make it zero. Please kill that despicable tendency everyone has to mail files around.

Business knowledge is lost in email. It must be properly filed on a network location, and email only serving links to the latest version.

All this attachment emailing is the best way to lose information or lose time finding it. Stop it.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: No, never increase attachment size limits

Not really sure why someone felt you deserved a downvote, but I'll go on record and back you up ...

Attachments are fine if they're KISS compatible. But as teams grow, spread, homework, and take on long running projects, using attachments to exchange information becomes increasingly problematic. I am sure if I called for a show of hands, there will be a number of El Reggers who have encountered problems caused by team members faithfully updating and circulating an out of date document because they didn't receive/notice/start with the latest copy. Or because the copy they *should* have got was quietly killed by their spam filter (maybe it was a spreadsheet that looked a bit PCI uncompliant)

Just wait till that document is part of a tender and the client sees the last-but-one version rather than the current one.

Another "fun" issue is when the team resides in different companies with different email systems (and policies) so some peoples emails are killed (see above)

Heck, even dropbox is better than that.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre
      Mushroom

And then there's the classic trick of the 20-MB pdf carefully crafted from within powerpoint, that just contains the date, time and location of a meeting. Because of course there was no way to put that in plain text in the body of the email.

Oh and let's not forget the old "I put the price of that new stappler you were looking at in the attached Excel file. Good reception."

3. richardcox13

> Business knowledge is lost in email. It must be properly filed on a network location, and email only serving links to the latest version.

And now your sales team wants to send a quotation to that potentially very lucrative customer.

Not everyone is connected to the local network ...

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Not everyone is connected to the local network

I said "a network location".

Nothing there means "local network", but I rather like that you took that as a given.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not everyone is connected to the local network ...

The the IT department should have delivered a solution which enabled remote staff to access data.

There is no justification for using email to circumvent such obstacles.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

Re: Not everyone is connected to the local network ...

There is no justification for using email to circumvent such obstacles.

I see you haven't met the BOFH!

5. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Unhappy

Late comment, but fitting: WE'RE ALL DOOMED

Just answered an email from my old (OK, not-so-old) daddy honestly at loss with a request from his editor. The man's down-with-the-kids teacher, published author, and a bit trained in the ways of software, by yours truly (or so I wished).

The Question? "My publisher asks for a plain-text version of the book as well as the PDF, what is it and how do I do that?" [summarised and translated].

Oh, the humanity. He's using OpenOffice, too.

If you're looking for me I'll be over there under that oaktree, busy hanging myself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like