back to article Comet 67P found to be COMPLETELY UNATTRACTIVE

The Philae Lander should soon see enough sun to resume operations on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenkoduring April or May, the European Space Agency's (ESA's) lander manager Stephan Ulamec told the European Geosciences Union General Assembly earlier this week. Philae hitched a ride to 67P aboard the Rosetta probe and descended …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Bounce or no bounce

It's still amazing that humans landed a semi-autonomous device on a moving comet.

All the science after that is a bonus.

1. Mark 85

Re: Bounce or no bounce

I quite agree. Plus the lander already performed the science they were hoping for. If it comes back alive, any science it can do will be a bonus.

I'm still irritated by the common media calling this a "failure" much like SpaceX's landing efforts. Even a "failure" is valuable but to call it a lesson or a learning experience doesn't sell papers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bounce or no bounce

And on the other side there are all the annual "Mars probes designed to last 90 days still running after N+1 years"

2. stucs201

Re: on a moving comet.

Well there seems to be a shortage of stationary comets to practice on...

1. Florida1920

Re: on a moving comet.

Well there seems to be a shortage of stationary comets to practice on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2wA73QVWWI

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stand back

We need one of these:

http://store-xkcd-com.myshopify.com/products/try-science

with a Philae lander

3. Gerard Krupa

In related news

The ESA are currently seeking a team of talented artists with experience using Vue 4, 3DS Max and Photoshop.

4. Little Mouse
    Boffin

theory of comet formation

The evidence suggests that the comet is made of the same stuff they make bouncy balls and trampolines from.

Or maybe bouncy castles. In retrospect, it might be a good thing that the harpoons malfunctioned.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

clumping

Clumping actually occurs due to differing charges of matter and not just metallic elements. The charge of an object effects it's gravitational pull when met with oppositely charged objects or lesser charged objects. Thanks to Francis Nipher in 1917 for making this discovery!

1. Michael Maxwell

Re: clumping

I'm afraid Nipher's "discovery" belongs in the Journal of Irreproducible Results.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Wombling_Free
    Boffin

I'm doing science and I'm still alive.

Hopefully the slightly more jovial ESA have made Philae's radio "Hello, I'm here" beacon a looping recording of 'I'm still alive' sung by GLADoS from Portal.

8. Roj Blake Silver badge

Water is Attractive

Water molecules have a decent electrical dipole, surely that offers a way for clumping to occur?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like