back to article Microsoft cramming free stuff into Galaxy S6es? Not so fast – US telcos

Microsoft has been working with smartphone makers to get its mobile apps onto more customers' phones, but as long as carriers have a say in it, Redmond might not be able to obtain the broad reach it's hoping for. Samsung announced in March that its new Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge flagship phones would ship with Microsoft's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you can't beat them ...

... join them

That's a fair business decision - can't fault MS for that. One division that is looking to extend it's reach should not be confused with another that can't sell phones.

On the bright side of being a Brit consumer in the mobile (cell) market I can always choose to be done over by a home grown firm (Vo(ice)da(ta)fone) from Newbury whilst using a foreign manufactured device that sucks my eyeballs out. Or I could be done over by a foreign firm with a foreign device. Thankfully I have choice - I know of several countries that don't even have that.

1. PleebSmash

Re: If you can't beat them ...

20-30% has to beat however low Windows Phone's market share is.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: If you can't beat them ...

The thing is I feel torn about this ( to be fair, in as much as I give a monkey's which isn't much).

On the one hand if every one else is doing it, then yes good luck to Microsoft.

But on the other hand, it pi**es me off no end that phones come with so much preinstalled cr*p that usually can't even be removed.

If mobile phone companies sold cars you'd have to drive past their shop at the start and end of every journey and the radio would always turn on to their station.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

As long as it can be removed

That's fine. But if it's more bloatware preinstalled on the phone that cannot be removed without rooting the phone and going for a 3rd party ROM, then fuck off.

3. Kurt 4

Where did anyone say it can't be removed?

1. Kanhef

All the preloaded apps on Android devices are typically installed as system apps, so they can't be removed without root access.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. MikeS

you cant remove them without root access but you can disable them.

So then they don't appear and importantly means they won't download any updates (and take up any further storage).

I agree though you should be able to remove them if you want to, or better still not be preloaded at all.

the one point that made me laugh in the story was that Verizon claim they want there customers to have choice. ROFL.

1. Paul Shirley

@MikeS "take up any further storage"

Yes, bloody annoying. They steal valuable storage so the system partition is big enough for the crapware, then updates end up using the user partition anyway. And there's not much chance of recovering the wasted space even rooted.

Install packages can happily flash user space, there's not technical reason they have to abuse system space like this.

4. Gerard Krupa

In the spirit of choice

I'm sure AT&T and Verizon don't pre-install their own cloud storage apps either.

5. Michael Habel

Why in forkall would Samsung do this

I mean how exactly does the MicroSD-less Galaxy S6 even come close to stepping on MicroSoft's Patents this time?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why in forkall would Samsung do this

Removing the SD slot doesn't change Samsung's position at all, unless they removed the code that understands vFAT, which is unlikely since it will still be used in other ways.

Anyway, Microsoft claims around 200 (!) patents that apply to Android, the vFAT thing is just the one that everyone always talks about but you don't really think Microsoft could shake down Android OEMs for $5 a phone or whatever they're getting based on that single patent, do you? They would have simply dropped vFAT support years ago after Microsoft came knocking and had the SD card use ext3 - tell people to download a driver onto their PC if they need to remove the card from their phone and read it there.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Pre-installed...

Can't be uninstalled (without rooting).

The most annoying trend for our new toys.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like