back to article Scummy transients FOUND ON MARS by NASA rover

Hard on the heels of news from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter that Mars could have extensive sub-surface glaciers, Curiosity Rover has gone a step better and found evidence of “transient” liquid water. It's neither pure enough nor (as a liquid) plentiful enough to support life, but it's still enough to get the boffinry …

1. tojb
    Thumb Up

Mars9?

Where are the other 8?

1. mix
      Alien

Re: Mars9?

Thank deity someone else spotted that, I thought I'd woken in a parallel universe this morning...

1. John Robson Silver badge

Looks like an abstract reference to me - albeit very clumsily translated.

Alternatives - it's the version of mars that causes any other planet to become mars?

2. LaeMing
      Go

They keep bumping the version number every time they /don't/ find any bugs.

3. Simple Si
      Coat

Perhaps Microsoft and Nasa are sharing version numbers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

England0

Mars wins on aggregate

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The Long Mars?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. maffski

Re: Instead of making feeble jokes about a typo

We've also learnt that any attempt to send humans to Mars is much easier than we thought. All that lovely water for breathing, drinking and storing energy. Mars One are going to have to update their mission plan - mining a glacier will be simple compared to cooking soil to collect water.

2. Kubla Cant

@Arnaut the less : I suspect that the commentards making and reading the feeble jokes about the typo are not doing so because they have missed the significance of the discovery. But thank you for your sermon, Headmaster.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Kubla Cant

Far from improving my self-esteem, it's made me feel rather guilty. My intention was to conform to the Reg posting style, which usually has much in common with the fish-slapping dance.

I hope your cold gets better soon.

3. x 7

perclorate is also explosive.......any aliens running around on a dry lake bed would have their feet blown off. Its also a good herbicide, so forget any thoughts of plant-like life

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm... perchlorate reductase

1. Fink-Nottle

> Erm... perchlorate reductase

Yup, that's what you need for oxygen farms on Mars.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Erm... perchlorate reductase

Mornington Crescent.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Mornington Crescent.

Na, got it all wrong the correct solution is Finchley Central superoxide dismutase.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
            Coat

Na, got it all wrong the correct solution is Finchley Central superoxide dismutase.

I don't see what sodium has to do with it, and Finchley Central superoxide dismutase is insoluble.

1. jake Silver badge

I beleve that according to the third season's reference manual ...

... making the Mornington Crescent move before actually declaring "the game has begun" results in The Lovely Samantha incinerating the potential gamer with her steely glare.

Shall we start from scratch? Farringdon. (Ferns are proto-plants, after all ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@ martin Budden, move back two spaces because it is soluble in the presence of dinitrogen fartoxide when pulling your eyelid down a bit and standing on one leg.

2. tony2heads
      Happy

Perchlorate is explosive

Only because it can release oxygen.

If you can find perchlorate brine in reasonable quantities: "Get your ass to Mars"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Its also a good herbicide, so forget any thoughts of plant-like life"

I think any thoughts of plant like life on mars were pretty much dispelled when the first probes did a flyby back in the 60s.

Anyway, just because a chemical is poisonous to earth life doesn't mean it'll be poisonous to alien life. In fact any alien life evolving in a perchlorate saturated enviroment would probably end up using them in their biology and would find earth soil at best pretty useless and at worst toxic in return.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

@boltar and generally,

What puzzled the people who before ca 1930 speculated on the origin of life on Earth was, how could life get started in an oxidising environment?

Then astronomers realised the universe was mostly hydrogen - had to be to explain our sun - and people realised that life here began in a reducing or at least neutral environment.

I cannot see how any kind of life could survive a perchlorate environment, unless it is at most a trace component.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Alien

"and people realised that life here began in a reducing or at least neutral environment."

Yep, Earth was teeming with life until some weird mutant started farting highly toxic and corrosive O2 and caused a massive extinction event.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Its also a good herbicide, so forget any thoughts of plant-like life"

Yeah, it's been said that the chances are a million to one.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's life Jim but not as we know it, time to re-read Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain.

5. Halfmad

Amazing stuff

When you consider what we're reading about - this is us observing another planet, where no human has been remotely, using technology mostly developed in the past 60 years it's absolutely incredible.

6. toxicdragon

"analytical cake-hole"

I'm still giggling at that.

1. DocJames
      Happy

"analytical cake-hole" - clearly you don't have children. At about 3 months they start analysing the world through tasting every object they can. Stuffed toys, rattles, clothes, my hair: the list is endless.

It's unsurprising given the rover's name. Happy times to be interested in science

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Mars covered in brine?

Mr. President, we cannot allow the creation of a space-pickle gap!

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Mars covered in brine?

Wrong brine for pickles, Marketing Hack.

Not that I would expect a marketard to understand why ...

1. x 7

Re: Mars covered in brine?

pickles? You need a planet covered in nitrite, not perchlorate

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like