back to article Bloke hits armadillo AND mother-in-law with single 9mm round

A Georgia man who took a 9mm pistol to an armadillo also managed to pop a cap in his wife's mum after the round ricocheted off the animal, "hit a fence, went through the back door of his mother-in-law's mobile home, through a recliner she was sitting in, and into her back". According to cops, 54-year-old Larry McElroy pulled …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

9mm Pistol at 100yds?

hitting something as small and skittish as an Armadillo at that range? Something is not right there. Are we sure he didn't actually aim for the MIL?

1. Richard Taylor 2

Re: 9mm Pistol at 100yds?

Nooooo read the article. It was the MiL at 100 yards on a richochet

2. Vulch

The MIL was 100yds (91.44m, 1.8osp, 9.92ddb) away, the range to the Armadillo is not given...

1. Little Mouse
        Black Helicopters

Or, just maybe, the MiL was actually just 4-5 yards away.....

Kudos to the guy - managed to get 95 yards away before being caught red handed, and then coming up with an excuse like that!

1. Cliff

Sure, it happened that way round. Aiming at the armadillo - all agreed?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Should have gone to Specsavers....

4. Mark 65

Given it's America I'm surprised he settled for something so puny. I'd have thought he'd have gone OTT and used a .50 Cal

2. x 7

I hope she didn't get leprosy - armadillos are the only other animals that catch it

1. Adam 1

This kids is why we need the interwebs. How else would I learn important tidbits like that?

1. Cliff

It's OK, 'titbits' isn't rude, you can use it without embarrassment :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tidbits?s=t

He used the correct word if he's not from these shores.

3. TheNix

Erm...

Hate to be a wet blanket - I usually love stories about outback hicks inadvertently removing their idiot material from the gene pool - but I'm really struggling to see the IT or tech angle here.

Not that the story shouldn't have been posted: I'm just disappointed that no such angle was worked in. Doing so doesn't usually seem to give the Reg cadre too much bother, however hilariously tenuous.

Must try harder!

1. ukgnome

Re: Erm...

it's in Bootnotes.....

*if I had a pound for every person etc etc

2. Dabooka
      IT Angle

According to local reports, the recliner had Bluetooth.

Sorted?

3. Alistair
      Coat

IT Angle:

Georgia Tech will be using all of their available computing power for the next 3 weekends to calculate the flight path of the bullet.

1. Simon Harris
        IT Angle

IT Angle

There's a picture of an Armadillo on the cover of the O'Reilly book "Essential System Administration, 3rd Edition: Tools and Techniques for Linux and Unix Administration"

Isn't that enough for you?

For any other animal based 'What's the IT angle?' questions, I'll refer you to their menagerie: http://www.oreilly.com/animals.html

1. petur
          Pint

Re: IT Angle

Simon Harris, you won :)

2. launcap Silver badge
          WTF?

> I'll refer you to their menagerie: http://www.oreilly.com/animals.html

So - enquiring minds want to know - how do they select the animals? German Shepherd for Mac OS X pocket guide?

Some make sense (the Tsetse fly for one of the Oracle guides for example) but I get the sense that they have a bunch of animal names in a random generator and press the button whenever they bring out a new book..

3. BuckeyeB

Well done Simon!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hate to be a wet blanket - I usually love stories about outback hicks inadvertently removing their idiot material from the gene pool - but I'm really struggling to see the IT or tech angle here.

There is none. I go elsewhere for my IT news now.

But I understand. As someone who runs their own technology news website, I have to say that IT professionals almost never click on ads. Experienced IT professionals never ever click on ads. The best IT tech news website would probably never make money. For myself, I'm sorry to say that I've taken my focus away from websites for technology types and focused more on sports where all the real advertising profits are.

5. murtonator

Word is he was trying to get achievement points

6. Martin Maloney
      Trollface

"Hate to be a wet blanket..."

Knowing that good ol' el reg would never run an article completely bereft of an IT angle, I entered

armadillo computer

into a search engine, and I encountered several computer service businesses with "Armadillo"in their name.

I also discovered a review for a physics-based PC game "Armadillo Run."

After you have laundered your blanket, then get help for your bed-wetting problem.

1. Pedigree-Pete
        Linux

Any fule knows that if you want a company name with an animal in it you choose Aardvark or Aardwolf.

7. Vinyl-Junkie
      IT Angle

Well it obviously appeals to the IT types, regardless of the angle. Most commented post for several days!

8. skeptical i
      Holmes

maths [was: Erm...]

Isn't there maths and physics and other advanced larnin' involved with calculating ballistics, trajectories, and all that good gun stuff?

1. Simon Harris

Re: maths [was: Erm...]

Isn't that Angry Birds?

... or is that the Mother in Law?

2. Mark 85

Re: maths [was: Erm...]

Nope... it's like a camera phone, point and shoot... I don't recommend selfies with a 9mm though.

9. David Given

This story features stupid people

Stupid people are also found using technology.

Therefore, this story is relevant to technology.

Will that do?

10. Bitbeisser
      Devil

Well, it fits into the more or less regular "nosh" column El Reg is posting to keep IT folks nourished. After all, what do you do with a dead armadillo? Armdadillo stew!

4. David Cherry

I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than armadillos

1. Toltec

"I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than armadillos"

Look what happened to Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

[sound effect: ricochet. Sound effect: body dropping to sand]

[LUKE's grin slowly fades as he lowers the pistol]

LUKE: uh...Uncle Owen? ... Aunt Beya??

[LUKE raises communicator to mouth]

LUKE: Uncle Ben! I do want to join the Rebellion! Right now!

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Holy crap! Where do you live that has armadillos that big?

5. The Jon

Armadillo!

Crunchy on the outside, smooth on the inside. Armadillo!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Armadillo!

Would you like to try a Dime Bar?

1. David Austin

Re: Armadillo!

Yes, but I can't: They'll always be Dime and Marathon.

2. AceRimmer1980
      Thumb Up

That bloke's a nutter.

Oi! Nutter!

6. codejunky Silver badge

Ah

I guess he could say it was the wrong tool for the job. That is an unfortunate achievement but he might now have to be nice to his MIL for a while. Lest she mention that day he shot her. Makes a good argument to buy a shotgun though

1. JamesPond

Re: Ah

"Makes a good argument to buy a shotgun though" ...who for, the MIL or bloke?

1. codejunky Silver badge

Fun for the family and safer to despatch armadillo

2. PNGuinn
        Unhappy

No, for the armadillo.

Won't anyone think of the varmits?

We need a varmit icon.

1. BuckeyeB

There is. It's an icon of Buggs Bunny. Just ask Sam.

3. launcap Silver badge

> buy a shotgun though" ...who for, the MIL or bloke?

Yes.

The armadillo probably needs an improved stealth field and a minigun.

1. John 110

"The armadillo probably needs an improved stealth field and a minigun."

Like this http://www.cdandlp.com/en/emerson-lake-and-palmer/tarkus/lp/r115483994/

1. Steven Raith

Nah, he just needed to ask to borrow his cousins outfit.

Steven "Never played MegaMan but heard it's top larks" R

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

@code junky ...Re: Ah

Actually, speaking from experience, the 9mm is the wrong tool for the job.

.22lr is the right tool. It does a good job on them. You usually use a rifle, but you could use a pistol. Typically you end up shooting them from a distance (20+ yrds).

They also have a habit of charging at you after they're shot.

Anyone who's spent time in the country know that they are nasty critter to have around.

Its not just an issue about leprosy, but they have amazing front claws from digging and can seriously hurt dogs and other curious pets. Not to mention they dig holes all over the place. A good way to break a leg, or to have a cow break a leg or get injured. (My wife didn't hate them until she got a bad sprain from stepping in to a hole dug by one.)

In terms of using a shotgun, that too will kill them, but with the .22lr, you end up with longer effective range.

The other fun tidbit is that when you do shoot them, they jump straight up so you know you hit them.

Oh and the 9mm? He must have used a FMJ usually used for practice on the range. Most self defense rounds would have expanded and lost too much energy.

I had to use a 9mm on a rabid racoon once. But then again, it was less than 10 feet away and I was shooting down in to the soft dirt so the round wouldn't have ricocheted.

1. R Callan
        Boffin

Re: @code junky ...Ah

Ah, but which nine mil? The article is lacking that detail. I suppose the most common is 9mm Parabellum but there are also:

Mauser 9mm Export

9mm short (A.C.P .380)

9mm Largo

9mm Makarov

and not forgetting that .38 and .357 are also 9mm

1. channel extended

Sorry but a 9mm is actually a thirty-six caliber round. All of those 38's are a 9.5mm.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Its not just an issue about leprosy, but they have amazing front claws from digging and can seriously hurt dogs and other curious pets. Not to mention they dig holes all over the place. A good way to break a leg, or to have a cow break a leg or get injured.

They're also excellent swimmers, and are not infrequently found swimming about in people's pools. That can give you a nasty shock too.

3. magickmark
        Coat

Yes but what about shooting Armadillos?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah IT Angle

Wonder how many spam TXT messages she'll get from no win, no fee ambulance chasers

7. Manolo
    WTF?

Varmint?

What exactly is so troublesome about armadillos that they need shooting?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Varmint?

What exactly is so troublesome about mother-in-laws that they need shooting?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What exactly is so troublesome about mother-in-laws that they need shooting?

You've never been married obviously.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
          Happy

Re: What exactly is so troublesome about mother-in-laws that they need shooting?

Up vote! Although gotta say the second go round has attached a much better MIL, it helps when she barely speaks my language ;-}

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: What exactly is so troublesome about mother-in-laws that they need shooting?

"You've never been married obviously."

Not to an armadillo.

2. Falanx

They continue to respire in locations adjacent to ignorant hicks?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"They continue to respire in locations adjacent to ignorant hicks?"

Which? Armadillos or Mother-in-laws?

3. Slacker@work

A yank friend of mine once told me about how an armadillo decided to break into his grans house - it went in through the wood panelled walls and took up residence in the cavities. It would occasionally appear in rooms around the place. Apparently, it popping out into the bathroom whilst she was "using the facilities" was the final straw and they called in the exterminators.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" an armadillo decided to break into his grans house - it went in through the wood panelled walls"

So the problem with armadillos is simply that Merkins don't remember the tale of the three little pigs, the moral of which is that you make your house out of materials suitable for the purpose?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Varmint?

The same would appear to apply to protecting yourself from stray 9mm rounds.

2. Slacker@work

I can neither confirm nor deny that the builders of said timber house were culpably negligent.

Likewise the makers of the trailer and/or reclining chair for not using something a bit more resilient!!

1. GBE

"Likewise the makers of the trailer and/or reclining chair for not using something a bit more resilient!!"

You can't use anything very heavy-duty for trailers or they won't fly through the air and/or disintegrate properly during a tornado.

2. Ilmarinen
        Coat

@Slacker@work: "popping out into the bathroom whilst she was "using the facilities" was the final straw "

This casts a whole new light on Roger Waters' question "Will the scaly armadillo find me where I'm hiding?"

I'd always thought it was just the drugs...

4. Ian Michael Gumby

@Manolo ...Re: Varmint?

You've never been around them on a farm, have you?

They are pests that have migrated north from South America.

They do spread leprosy, which makes them dangerous to humans and cattle.

They have large front claws. When cornered they'll cut you or your dog up. And when cornered they do charge at you.

They dig holes everywhere. Again a danger to humans and cattle.

They are varmints and breed as bad as rabbits. But with rabbits, at least you can eat them and use their fur...

1. waldo kitty
        Facepalm

Re: @Manolo ...Varmint?

They are varmints and breed as bad as rabbits. But with rabbits, at least you can eat them and use their fur...

you can eat armadillo, too... it isn't too bad when cooked properly...

there's also some interesting artsy type things that a few folks have done with the shells...

1. Ian Michael Gumby

You would have to be extremely hungry to eat Aradillo meat. And of course it depends on the species.

I wouldn't cook the ones you have in the US....

1. Nunyabiznes

You just have to be careful when cleaning them. They are actually quite tasty, with a dense red meat. I like them better than rattlesnake myself. I grew up in rural Texas where armadillos and various poisonous snakes were abundant and cash wasn't so we ate a variety of foods not on the menu at many dining establishments.

The best way to dispatch an armadillo for eating is for one person to get their attention by tapping a stick or similar on a rock in front of them (20' or so, any closer and they'll bolt) and the other person to sneak up behind them and grab their tail, yanking them off the ground quickly. Whack'em in the head with a hammer and BBQ.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

@Nunyabiz ... Re: @Manolo ...Varmint?

I'll take rabbit over armadillo any day. :-)

And I'll take your word on how tasty they are.

I'll stick to gator meat too.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

You would have to be extremely hungry to eat [Armadillo] meat.

Of course you don't want to eat just any old armadillo. We only use organic sustainable cruelty-free fair-trade farm-raised armadillo in our dishes.

2. Manolo

Hailing from Europe, I have indeed never been around an armadillo :-)

Thanks for explaining the nuisance factor.

How bad is the leprosy factor? Are 99% infected, or 0,001%? And how big is the chance of transmission?

1. x 7

Strangely enough, according to Wikidpaedia, armadillos didn't suffer from leprosy until the European invasions of South America. It jumped from human to animal - a very unusual situation. Makes you wonder just what those Spanish were doing to the local wildlife

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

From the Georgia Department of Natural Resources web page concerning native* wildlife:

Georgia Law allows the taking of certain native species -- namely rats, mice, armadillos, coyotes, groundhogs, beaver, freshwater turtles, venomous snakes, frogs, spring lizards, fiddler crabs, freshwater crayfish, freshwater mussels, and nutria -- because of their status as a nuisance or other reason.

http://gadnrle.org/node/86

As mentioned above, armadillos are destructive. They are in the process of expanding their range in the US, displacing other species as they move in. Many areas, Georgia included, encourage hunters to shoot on sight. Farmers typically do not need encouragement as they are quite destructive. There are no initiatives of which I am aware to actually impede their spread, so to me this amounts to wonton killing of the animals.

* The nine-banded armadillo is a naturalized US citizen. It cannot easily cross wide bodies of water as it does not float. It does, however, know how to use a bridge even if it is prone to jump into the axle of a 4-by-4 passing above it.

1. Rich 11

so to me this amounts to wonton killing of the animals.

That would be one way of putting them on a plate.

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

wonton wanton!

Curse you, bad spelling jeans genes! Curse you!

Please accept my very humble up-vote.

8. Zot
    Coat

They are not called Armoured Dillo for nothing.

I left my coat at home, sorry...

1. Chris G

Perhaps he should shoot only un armoured dillos, or buy a bigger gun with armouredillo piercing rounds.

1. x 7

WTF is an Armoured Dildo? Is it some kind of penetration round?

2. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

I prefer APDS rounds. That's Armadillo Prevention Discarding Sabot.

Or, in other words, chuck an old shoe at it and make it fuck off.

3. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

@Chris G.... Doh!

The round went through the Armadillo and then went on to hit the MiL.

The story has it wrong if the Armadillo didn't die. Their skin isn't going to stop a 9mm. Trust me, I know. I've killed 100's of them over a 4 year stretch. .22lrs work great, although I used a 16 gauge w #8 birdshot once.

Either the guy missed and the round richocheted off the ground or it went through the pest.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Meh

Re: @Chris G.... Doh!

I thought that as it states that the critter died....well if it did indeed bounce off, I'd expect it to have some nasty bruising, but not much more.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Re: @Chris G.... Doh!

Trust me, the round didn't bounce off the Armadillo.

I put many .22lrs in them. (They don't usually penetrate the other side.)

A 9mm will penetrate without any trouble.

9. ACMTIX

Maybe it was a robotic arduino armadillo?

1. PNGuinn
      IT Angle

"Maybe it was a robotic arduino armadillo?"

Ah, there's your IT angle. Knew there had to be one in there somewhere.

10. gchaze

re: Manola

"What exactly is so troublesome about armadillos that they need shooting?"

You can catch leprosy from being scratched or bitten by armadillos. You can even possibly be exposed by eating them. I have friends in Texas that eat them and I've heard they're tasty. I've never seen any numbers on leprosy but a quick google search seems to back up the possibility of catching it from one.

They're burrowing animals, think property damage, and they like it in crawl spaces under houses (think lots of property damage).

They're also considered a "nuisance" species in Georgia like Coyotes, Groundhogs, Beavers, Starlings, Pigeons & English Sparrows. There are no closed seasons or bag limits.

Not every gun owner/hunter is a redneck moron and 100 hundred yard shots on game/mother-in-laws with a handgun is certainly possible. Mine would be pissed but we made her move her trailer years ago.

1. sandman

Re: re: Manola

Ah the beauty of the differences between US and UK English. "Mine would be pissed but we made her move her trailer years ago." In the UK, "pissed" means very drunk. The sentence makes sense both ways, nobody wants to live next door to an alcoholic mother-in-law. ;-)

2. Fizzle
      Meh

English Sparrows? You mean just sparrows. Why English? And if, indeed, there are English Sparrows flying around other than in England, please don't shoot them, send old Papageno around and bring 'em back home.

Anyway, why are English sparrows considered pests? What do they do?

1. x 7

No, he means English sparrows. Not British as they're less common in Scotland.....They were introduced to the USA by English settlers who wanted a reminder of home. And they've bred and expanded into a serious national pest in the USA, out-competing local birds

to quote http://oklahomabirdsandbutterflies.com/cat/3/35

"While the United States defeated Britain in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, England got her revenge in the spring of 1852 when 100 House Sparrows brought over from England were released along the East River in New York City. Now 150 years later they are one of the most abundant birds in the United States with a population estimated to be over 200 million. Their exponentially expanding population has caused steep declines in other cavity-nesting birds such as the Eastern Bluebird, Purple Martin, and several types of swallows."

Pigeons and Starlings are in a similar position as pests

11. Measurer
    Mushroom

Insufficient Ordnance!

Surprised he didn't go straight for the Hellfire missile, wot he bought down the local hardware store.

Georgia is now at DEFCON 1, ready for MAD (Massive Armadillo Destruction)!

1. tony2heads
      Flame

Re: Insufficient Ordnance!

can't buy a Hellfire, so I will go for an XM42

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/xm42-the-handheld-flamethrower

http://xm42.com/

remember: 42 is the answer to the meaning of life the universe and everything

12. codebeard

Perhaps this brings us one step closer to solving the mystery of the JFK assassination: Somebody was just trying to get rid of a pesky armadillo on the grassy knoll.

1. x 7

In JFK's case it probably was an armoured dildo. Or maybe an amoured dildo

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this the way to harm a MIL ? oh

14. frank ly

When the day is dawning

on a Georgia Sunday morning,

I wanna shoot some vermin

but with my gun, I'mma still learnin'.

Is this the way to shoot an armadillo?

I just tried it and shot my poor MIL oh!

Is this the way to shoot an armadillo?

She called the cops - I hope they believe me.

Sha la lah, lah lah la lah la......

1. Mark 85

Re: When the day is dawning

For a more better country song.. add something about pickup trucks, rain, and prison. Yeee-hah!!!1

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: When the day is dawning

Don't forget the crippled Vietnam veteran relative and aged dog

15. earl grey
    Happy

unfortunate Hansens carriers

But they are cute little buggers when they're not digging where it's not wanted or wander onto the pavement right in front of your vehicle and causing needless excitement.

16. hi_robb

now Resgister...

Are you sure it ricocheted off a armadillo and not a armoured dildo?

/Gets coat

17. david1024

It is the round, silly!

Here's some serious-like discussion:

Most likely the fellow was using a Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) round. They are cheap, and should really only be used at the target range. But, 9mm ammo has only recently been widely available in the states (been a shortage lately and maybe he didn't restock yet). A hollow point cartridge would have been a better choice as they usually aren't capable of ricochet like described here (fragment/momentum/wind resistance/etc..).

He was also probably at point-blank-range when he fired (armadillos have terrible eyesight and sneaking up on them consists of a leisurely walk for the stalker.) 9mm rounds are usually very supersonic and have a fair amount of mass. So it'll still pack a whallop even after a ricochet if the round stays together. Hence the recommendation of a shotgun, presumably with birdshot... much lower K.E. per pellet/BB, so any ricochet BB would be slowed rapidly by air.

As to why you kill them...

They carry disease, dig up your garden, eat your food, spread garbage around, and dig mom's flowers... and OMG the SMELL!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Coat

Re: It is the round, silly!

As to why you kill them...

They carry disease, dig up your garden, eat your food, spread garbage around, and dig mom's flowers... and OMG the SMELL!

That's all very well. But it's no excuse, and I'm afraid it's still illegal to shoot your mother-in-law...

[Les Dawson mode disengaged]

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

Re: It is the round, silly!

Sorry, but any proper farmer / rancher would tell you to use a .22lr or similar rimfire round.

As to their eyesight, yes they have poor eyesight. But they do have good hearing and smell.

As to being point blank, I doubt it. If he was, then the ricochet wouldn't have traveled 100 yrds. (Think about the angle.)

18. Spaceman Spiff

Shotgun vs 9mm

Ok - less range, but more opportunities to hit innocent bystanders!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Revised title for article...

Bloke hits armadillo, old bat AND mother-in-law with single 9mm round

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well duh! Use Armor Piercing rounds!

What part of ARMAdillo didn't you understand?

MIL, however, calls for depleted uranium. Or if she's really nasty, don't even deplete the uranium, go for the hot stuff.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bet the MIL isn't a Tony Christie fan anymore.

Is this the way to waste a ‘dillo?

Every night I’ll be biting the pillow.

Sent away for shooting my in law,

And now Big Ron he buggers me.

Show me the way to off a ‘dillo……

22. herman

Well, this is just the worst case of bad luck ever - she survived!

23. Hoddy

It is mother_S_-in-law.

No such thing as mother-in-laws.

Even Jeremy Vine knows that one.

24. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Check for owner's tag before shooting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvpLAMfYgJ8

This is a public safety announcement.

25. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Childcatcher

"The local authorities apparently recommend shooting"

Remind me again why there are so many accidental shooting injuries/deaths in the US but not in the UK? Oh yeah, lots of guns with trigger-happy owners.

Re: "The local authorities apparently recommend shooting"

@ Martin Budden

"Remind me again why there are so many accidental shooting injuries/deaths in the US but not in the UK? Oh yeah, lots of guns with trigger-happy owners."

It is a terrible world when people are afraid of their own shadow. When the concept of DIY is too scary because tools are frightening. Living like that we wouldnt have houses, cars, furniture but simply we wouldnt exist as a species. A crippling fear of accidents is something needing therapy. Respectful use of tools is something you are taught, you learn or Darwinism sorts out.

1. Intractable Potsherd

I agree with codejunky. I have been faced with the difficult decision of ignoring a work-place policy in my new employment, because I have no intentions of leaving my pen-knife behind. There is no earthly reason why a university should have a rule against pen-knives (I carry a Swiss Army penknife with all sorts of useful tools on it), and so I have made a rational decision to ignore the policy. For the first time in my life, I actually have an insight into the feeling of vulnerability that gun-owners in America must have* at having a useful tool that I have carried (in type) since I was about 13 (so about 40 years) turned into a prohibited thing.

*I am not equating a gun - which, as a tool, is fairly limited in its range of uses - with a Swiss Army knife, but just realising that the horrible feeling of someone trying to take away something that I feel secure having with me must be similar.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

I'll say it again and this time I'll add emphasis:

Lots of guns with trigger-happy owners.

There are millions of responsible gun owners in the US but they aren't the ones I'm talking about. It's the millions of other gun owners that are the problem, and if those ones didn't have guns the problem would go away.

@ Martin Budden

"There are millions of responsible gun owners in the US but they aren't the ones I'm talking about. It's the millions of other gun owners that are the problem, and if those ones didn't have guns the problem would go away."

There are a lot of good drivers in the UK but most days I will see at least one moron on the phone, a lot who dont indicate and a few who run red lights (yes, nearly every freakin day!). There are a lot of sensible drinkers but there are always those who will get themselves blind drunk to the point of injury to themselves or others. Most people can cross a road with basic competence but some people really do try to commit suicide by focusing on their conversation/phone/MP3 player.

People are creative in their self harm and harm to others. You are commenting on an accident (95yard ricochet) with a comment of "Lots of guns with trigger-happy owners." concerning the legitimate dispatch of vermin. It was unfortunate and the wrong tool for the job (people have mentioned other firearms or bullet variations) but that is what happens in DIY, accidents.

The problem would go away without any people, but that too is a stupid suggestion. I know you mean well but you cannot remove the risks of life from life. Accidents happen.

26. Winkypop Silver badge
    Meh

Strange when you think about it

If someone fired a weapon near a built-up area where I live, it would rain cops AND feature on the evening news.

In America, it's just another day, with maybe a trip to the La-Z-Boy shop and a band-aid for the MIL.

Re: Strange when you think about it

@ Winkypop

"If someone fired a weapon near a built-up area where I live, it would rain cops AND feature on the evening news.

In America, it's just another day, with maybe a trip to the La-Z-Boy shop and a band-aid for the MIL."

Probably with some insanely blown up story that has little to no resemblance to the truth too. It is a shame we are so scared of nothing in the UK even if some of the US states are a bit blasé.

27. HKmk23

Surprised

Considering it was in the good ol' US of A, I am surprised he only used a 9mm, I would have expected at least an armour piercing 7.62 round (which would have dealt with the mother in law as well) but if he was aiming for a ricochet shot he would have needed a different trajectory.

1. Swarthy

Re: Surprised

Nah, 7.62 is a commie NATO round. I am a bit surprised he didn't go for a 45 or 38 caliber, as those are good American rounds. The 9mm is kind of commie, because it uses that metric stuff, but it's cheap and has street cred.

A .22 round is just a pansy plinker round, can't do no damage.

28. Chozo
    Joke

90's Flashback

The preferred method of dealing with subterranean vermin.

https://youtu.be/KcsLaSBWG9k?t=59s

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out of everyone involved in this,

my heart goes out to the armadillo.

Fascinating little animals and no trouble to anyone.

1. Nunyabiznes

Re: Out of everyone involved in this,

You are a little late to the party. Apparently you didn't read any of the responses about the little varmit from people that have actually dealt with them either.

While I appreciate the armadillo for what it is and how it has evolved, it is quite damaging to ranchers and farmers if left unchecked. I've had to put down cattle that have broken legs in armadillo burrows or diggings. I have also had short flights from the back of horses after said horses stepping in 'dillo holes at speed. Luckily the horses were not severely injured.

They can also play hob on your vehicle if you hit them on the road. They are quite dense.

All that being said, I don't believe they should be eradicated either. They are kind of like the wild hogs that are infesting the southern US. They need to be kept in check but not necessarily wiped out.

1. x 7

Re: Out of everyone involved in this,

" after said horses stepping in 'dildo holes"

amazing what they use in America to plant potatoes......

more seriously.....any news on whether she caught leprosy?

30. x 7

people never learn.....

this guy went one step further and shot his own jaw after the bullet bounced off the armadildo

A Texan, naturally - they always try to do things bigger and better

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/31/us-usa-texas-armadillo-idUSKCN0Q52KR20150731

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like