back to article Cisco loses logo lawsuit against WiFi inventor boffinhaus

Cisco's suffered a legal reversal in Australia, where the nation's Trade Marks Office has ruled the logo of Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is not an attempt to imitate or cash in on the Borg's bridge badge. CSIRO's logo is supposed to be a stylised map of Australia. Cisco's …

1. petur

huh?

"The case therefore involved Cisco trying to prevent the organisation that invented a key networking technology, which it sells to the tune of many millions of dollars a year, from using its own logo."

methinks the wifi logo looks different...

1. VinceH

Re: huh?

"methinks the wifi logo looks different..."

The WiFi logo is used to represents wireless networking capability that meets certain standards, whereas the "own logo" referred to is CSIRO's "own logo", as in the one that represents them.

2. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Joke

Yeah, tricky...

I nearly bought one of those CSIRO modem routers by mistake - good thing I looked!

</sarc>

3. chekri

Woolworths != Woolworth

The local tentacle you mentioned is not at all a tentacle, it is Woolworths Limited and has nothing but its name in common with F.W. Woolworth (USA & UK) or Woolworths Holdings Limited (South Africa).

It's an Octopus unto itself.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When mentioning Apple trademark litigation ...

let us not forget the iPood

5. MJI Silver badge

Interesting

Interesting read, The linked document is worth looking at.

Lots of similarities, blue white, vertical stripes, a picture, capitals, begins with C ends in O.

Different font, different shade of blue, different badge shape.

Both are revamps of earlier different logos. CSIRO was blue before with stripes. And more like its current logo.

I feel Cisco were right to bring it up and the TMO were right to throw it out.

1. dan1980

Re: Interesting

I see it.

Yes, the fonts are different but they share many important similarities.

I think it's similar enough that Cisco probably needed to challenge to make sure that they are seen to protect their marks, as this is a requirement of actually keeping them and winning future cases that are more of an issue.

So, I guess I agree with MJI, above - it is right that it didn't succeed but it is close enough that it was probably prudent from Cisco to make a (legal) point of it. A pity it wasted everyone's time but that's the reality of a world fast losing all common sense in such matters.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sure looks like...

...an attempt to be mistaken for Cisco - a company I detest. I think Cisco got a bad decision and hopefully will win on appeal. There is no doubt in my mind that consumers could easily mistake the two graphics and that's precisely why CSIRO's looks so similar to Cisco's design.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sure looks like...

If CSIRO sold products to consumers that might be a problem, but they don't. If they start doing so and include this logo on their products, Cisco might have an actionable reason to come back to court and revisit this.

1. dan1980

@DougS

The problem is that the way trademark law is, you have to actively protect your marks. If you don't then you can lose the ability to challenge those who are infringing.

If you allow (by neglecting to challenge) someone to use a mark that is similar to yours then that 'dilutes' the strength of your mark and the courts consider it that much weaker when you do go to challenge one. In other words, the more people are using marks similar to yours, the less an otherwise infringing mark can be said to weaken your mark - it's already weak.

We can't infer Cisco's real intentions but we can say that their choice to pursue this maintains their legal position and claim to their mark for the future.

I don't like the process but that's not something Cisco can't change - they have to work within the existing structure.

2. MJI Silver badge

Look at the linked article, the CSIRO logo inherits a lot from its previous version, more than Cisco.

7. Tim Roberts 1

Personally, ....

I would be totally confused by the similarity between the circle and the rectangle. I hope Cisco appeals because of the ultra-rounded corners of their rectangle in the CSIRO logo.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

The CSIRO are a trusted organisation in Australia

The other mob are just some foreign company who make stuff.

1. Pookietoo
      Devil

Re: some foreign company who make stuff

ITYM some foreign company who have stuff made for them in China.

9. bep

Well

If I were CSIRO I would defend the action, but I wouldn't use the same graphic designers again. Instead I'd go to a designer who actually thought up something original from scratch, which it appears their designers didn't bother to do in this case.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like